Starting Up

Yawrood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1.  I downloaded the SL Viewer - or I guess it download (I clicked on it anyway).  Now what?  Is there someplace to click "Run" or "Install" or anything ??

Your directions for things are very unclear.  Your website says "To explore, communicate, and connect in Second Life, you'll need to download our 3D browsing software. . . . . "  Does downloading Second Life Viewer join you up in Second Life???  

A different option (other than downloading the viewer) is to "Join".  So, if you have these 2 options (among others), I guess downloading the viewer does not join you in.

2.  A numbered, step by step text sheet that one could view when first opening your website would be a wonder ! !     Often times, web designers forget that part.  True, your web design is quite nice but so much of your attention is taken with design, that when you first want to join, you are immediately lost.  Thats why you have posts after posts after posts and forums and forums and forums.

Thank you for your attention.

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Yawrood.

You have clearly joined, since you have a login name and a password, and have made it here.  If you have also downloaded a Second Life viewer from https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/?lang=en-US , then you have all that you need.  The viewer installs automatically when you download it.  To enter Second Life, locate the viewer's icon on your desktop (It looks like the green hand icon that's in the upper left corner of this page), and click on it.  It's like launching any other program from your desktop.

Second Life is not a web site. These forums are about Second Life, but SL itself is only accessible through your viewer. Once you have launched the viewer, the person standing in the middle of your screen, with his back to you, is YOU.  I suggest spending a little time reading the Quickstart guide and then the User's Guide. Together, they provide enough basic information to get you started.  Once you are in world, there are many places to visit for tutorial help (like Caledon Oxbridge University), or you may do as many newcomers do and simply start  exploring and learning on your own by experimenting.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.