I've already registered, picked out my avatar, picked an island but it won't let me go there

pamhodge12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life, Pam!

Come back and edit your question to add more information (via "Options" over there on the right) so we have some idea what you've tried and what didn't work. Did you get an error message? If so, tell us.

Teleports sometimes fail, particularly if you're going to a very crowded sim, such as an infohub. Try another destination, or be patient. You'll eventually get in.

The Answers section of the forum is a technological embarassment. You may get better results posting a hello out in the General Discussion forum, where you can easily reply to others and get a good long conversation going. It can be a bit like the wild west there at times, but people are generally helpful.

And, just to be sure... the enrollment process and this forum are website based, the virtual world of SL is not. It's a simulation that you access via an application for your computer called a "Viewer". If you haven't already done so, you can download a copy from here.

And finally, here's some recommended reading...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-User-s-Guide/ta-p/1244857

Good luck, have fun!

• Like 1

Not all sims are open to the public.  If you are trying to go to a sim that is privately owned, you may find that the owner has made it accessible only to members of her/his own group.  There are a variety of other reasons why any sim might be unavailable at a particular time.

I suspect that's not your problem, though.  I'm guessing that you are trying to enter SL from a web site instead of logging in the "normal" way, by clicking on your SL viewer's icon on your desktop.  (You did download and install a viewer, right?)  It is possible to log in from a web site by clicking on a SLURL -- a peculiar version of a URL that directs you to a specific landing spot in world -- but only after your web browser knows what to do with a SLURL.  Until you teach it (or, in some cases, until your viewer teaches it), you're better off entering by activating your viewer and logging in from its main page.

For more basic information about starting in Second Life, see http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

Welcome to Second Life, Pam!  :smileywink:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.