Please Note: You are currently in Answers Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. To actively participate with Second Life Answers, click here.
Answer
New Resident
Karl Quar
Accepted Solution
Mute a group

Hi everybody

Is there a mean to mute temporarly a group ?

That's very ennoying to receive lots of intempestive messages when u are busy with something or somebody. The only way i have to be quit of this messages is, as far, to quit the group. But it's a bit too much ...

Give me ur ideas about it ....

Kisses for ur answers

Answer
Accepted Solution
Ellla McMahon
Answered

Hello Karl, to stop Group IMs appearing in Chat History, see Can I mute group IMs? See also Video Tutorial Moderate group voice & text chat

Is there a mean to mute temporarly a group ?

Personally I either close the Group Chat window by using Tear Off Tab Button to seperate it from the Communicate window (the Group Chat window can be re-opened via Communicate > Groups > IM/Call) or I Go into Busy mode

Hope this helps

Other Answers: 7
Recognized Member
Lissa Fimicoloud
Answered

If you close the group IM window it will stay closed until you either A) open it yourself on purpose or B) relog. So when you get the first IM, close the window and you won't see more IMs from that group.

Except - it doesn't always work .

Works better for very busy groups, because it seems if the group is very quiet for a while then a new message will pop up the notice again.

Contributor
Unklebob Hotaling
Answered

lol, typical.  Through i've never used it I've seen the "When 'receive group notices' is disabled, disable group chat as well' button... figured between muting the notices and chat that meant the group was effectively muted - arg too bad it doesn't work like that.

+ General Manager, Sinful Needs rockclub +
New Resident
Karl Quar
Answered

I use Emerald viewer but it does not allow to mute groups !

Ellla McMahon
Answered

Also add your comments and vote on this pJIRA New Feature request Allow group IMs to be muted

As Q Linden says on his recent Blog post Taking technical feedback from Residents

How the bug report is handled

After submitting an issue, you might want to point it out to some friends. People can vote for issues they care about. Linden Lab uses vote count to help point out the issues we should pay the most attention to. Vote count is not the only measure, of course, but all things being equal, an issue with more votes will get attention sooner.

pJIRA is a tool for residents to file new feature requests as well as bug reports (The "P" stands for Public.) An overview and common questions about pJIRA can be found in the Creating bug reports and feature requests in the Public Issue Tracker

How do I log in to the Tracker?

• Visit https://jira.secondlife.com and click the 'Log In' link on the top right of the page
  • On the login page, enter your Second Life username (Firstname Lastname) and password
Contributor
Unklebob Hotaling
Answered

Nope, you can say no to group notices by going to that groups profile, but IMs will still get though... only way to stop them is by going into 'busy' mode.  There is a viewer called Emerald that will allow you the option of muting both notices and IMs but an important caution... this viewer isn't supported by LL. If this is the route you want to go just do an internet search on 'Emerald viewer' and you'll find it.

+ General Manager, Sinful Needs rockclub +
Honored Resident
Hepzibah Ellsmere
Answered

If you are using a TPV like Phoenix you can actually mute a Group if you want. I didnt know that myself until someone hear pointed me in the direction of the 'Preference' menu. In 'Preference' go to the 'Phoenix' tab, Then go to the 'chat' tab. Oh but first in the Group info you untick the checkbox that says 'receive group notices'. Now back to where I was, in the 'chat' tab, check the box that says 'When receive group notice is disabled, disable group chat as well,. Simple...also you have the option to mute all Group chat. All this is possible in Phoenix, I have no idea about other viewers.

Cheers

Tears are not a sign of weakness but of power,
Power to love, grieve or be happy.
There is no greater weakling than the one who is
afraid of his emotions
Gloria Marchant
Kudos: 1
Answered

The bad thing is that Emerald don't stop group Ims, it just prevent to open the group window, but ims appear on your screen.

Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.