Please Note: You are currently in Answers Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. To actively participate with Second Life Answers, click here.
Answer
Recognized Resident
Swift Flow
Accepted Solution
Media Plugin Webkit

I'm running Second Life 2.0.0 (203055) Mar 30 2010 07:57:41 (Second Life Developer) on a windows XP pc. I get the message

"The following media plug in has failed Media Plugin Webkit"

I have reinstalled, but still get the same problem, so functionailty seems hampered

Can you advise please?

Answer
Accepted Solution
Honored Resident
Sylvio Runo
Answered

First Setp

The  new viewer generation (SL 2.0,  Emerald, Snowglobe, etc) uses  AppleWebKit (aka Safari) as an internal  browser and to render media  in-World in Windows and Mac Environment. So,  if you are a Windows or  Mac user, you must to install the Adobe Flash  Player for Safari to  watch flash content (the plugin is the same for  Firefox and Opera).

The Flash Player Plugin for Internet Explorer and Chrome does not work for SL.

Visit  the link below, select your System Environment on Combobox, choose the  plugin for Other Browsers (Firefox, Safari and Opera) and be sure that  you are dowloading the correct plugin and install it:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Second Step

Download the last QuickTime player and install or update it:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure the steps above will solve your problem

You can copy my body but never my mind
Other Answers: 6
Recognized Resident
Swift Flow
Answered

Thank you Sylvio, that resolved it for me!

Recognized Resident
Swift Flow
Answered

32 bit system with Avira security.

Ellla McMahon
Answered

Hello Swift, please check your Windows XP OS, Internet Browser, Quicktime and Flash Player are fully updated.

Reboot your computer.

Download a new copy of Viewer 2 and save to your desktop and install.

If you still have this error message, you may need to completely uninstall all Viewers, saving any chat logs, if you wish.  How do I fully uninstall and reinstall Second Life? Make sure  the Second Life Cache, User Settings and content of any Windows Temporary folders are also deleted.

Boroondas Gupte
Topics: 2
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 18
Answered

Sounds like VWR-17087. Are you running a 64bit XP or using a personal Firewall (included in a lot of security suits)?

Message was edited by: Boroondas Gupte (Avira isn't the only affected product)

Ellla McMahon
Answered

There's a Discussion thread here media_plugin_webkit  failure

Please add your comments and vote on the pJIRA Plugin "media_plugin_webkit" has failed

Recognized Resident
Swift Flow
Answered

I've updated all the apps you suggested. Same result. I'm loathed to reinstall ALL viewers as I'm satisfied with the Emerald viewer. I don't really want to fix something that isnt broke just because SL2 isnt compatible with some security systems