Please Note: You are currently in Answers Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. To actively participate with Second Life Answers, click here.
Answer
New Resident
Maurice Mistwood
Accepted Solution
Feet In The Ground?

Its been happening on all my accounts for about 3 years now and I've never known the cause.

Why is it that when I stand my feet and ankles dissapear into the ground? When I turn my AO off my Avatar stands with bent legs like hes crouching and then the AO makes him stand straight but this puts his feet in the ground...

Any help would be much appreciated, its frustrating me now...

Maurice

Answer
Accepted Solution
Jilla Lamar
Answered

It's a bug... when it happens to me and my guy... we use different viewers, so different solutions work for us.  He stands in appearance for a moment and that brings him out of the ground.  He uses 2.0.  I use Emerald and when it happens to me, I sit on something and then stand and my feet are out of the ground.  Hope one of these help you.  Good luck!

Take a hammer to the prison walls. Escape. Walk out like someone suddenly born into color. ~Rumi

◇ ◆When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.◆ ◇
Other Answers: 20
Nyll Bergbahn
Answered

pallina60.Loon wrote:

Hello, this is a known bug and reported recently on Jira as you can see yourself here http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-19155
The problem has not yet been assigned and would be helpful if you also contribute by giving your vote. You can do this by login with your SL name and password and clicking in the left column to "vote" Ty.
For now you can work around this problem by wearing or removing any of your clothes like a vest or shirt. Attention: NO a garment created with primitives.
Sorry for my English I hope what I wrote is understandable.

Yes, that bug annoys me every time I log in with Viewer 2. Like you, I just take off or wear a shirt or jacket and up my feet pop from the floor. Hope they fix it soon.

Nyll

Caine: I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.
pallina60 Loon
Answered

Hello, this is a known bug and reported recently on Jira as you can see yourself here http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-19155
The problem has not yet been assigned and would be helpful if you also contribute by giving your vote. You can do this by login with your SL name and password and clicking in the left column to "vote" Ty.
For now you can work around this problem by wearing or removing any of your clothes like a vest or shirt. Attention: NO a garment created with primitives.
Sorry for my English I hope what I wrote is understandable.

Vojo morì cor mouse in mano :-P
Yuriko Nishi
Answered

i am 99 % sure it´s a server side problem, and i suspect it came with the havok 7 update.

i see EVERYONE with feet in the ground (linden ground, not prims) since the new server rollout. (at least in the 15- 20 sims i visited since the rollout)

i guess we can only hope some linden actually logs in to sl for a change and LOOKS at the avatar...

http://www.dieantwoord.com/
Faubio Alter
Answered

Additional ABC's

http://www.paulstips.com/brainbox/pt/home.nsf/link/19062006-How-to-spot-a-bad-argument

By-the-way, it's pronounced Faa-b-o or Fau-b-o, if you were wondering. I really should have chosen another name. Your curious about something, you type something into the box and then you stay .... forever: Amazing! (Faubio, head palms) :smileyhappy:
Faubio Alter
Answered

Shoes can also do this especial the base part of many shoes. The base largely sets the shape and height of feet when using attached shoes.

By-the-way, it's pronounced Faa-b-o or Fau-b-o, if you were wondering. I really should have chosen another name. Your curious about something, you type something into the box and then you stay .... forever: Amazing! (Faubio, head palms) :smileyhappy:
Faubio Alter
Answered

No! LOL

YES! LOL

In the US we have a saying, it is

"Beating a dead horse"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flogging_a_dead_horse

It's simply a waste of time beating a dead horse, as useless as continuing this discussion.

Have a good day Irene.

Irene Muni
Answered

Faubio.Alter wrote:

You might run a check disk on your PC if it's running a Windows OS. This might be a hard drive error.

Can you explain how relates the OP issue with a error in the hard drive of his PC?

Thanks in advance.

Irene Muni
Answered

No hard disk manage the position of the avatar inworld. It's that simple. It's the ABC of SL.

Irene Muni
Answered

Faubio.Alter wrote:

The viewer software is not in the hard drive?

Yes, the viewer software is in the hard drive.

Is the avatar (and the inventory, and the coordinates, and the axes, and ....) in my hard disk? NO.

Faubio Alter
Answered
there are probably various bugs in the code causing feet to sink into  the ground

This is very unlikely. Code implies the SL software, most animations and AOs are created  inworld  using LSL script not SL code. If it were a code problem then the problem would appear here on SLA  far more often then it does,. everyone used some form of the code at some time or another. the number of users using code is a million times greater then any one script.

If your not running check disks you may never know if your have hard drive errors or not, well at least not till it's too late..

Faubio Alter
Answered

As my old 150,000+ post mentor would say, Google it!

Start reading:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=hard+drive+errors&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS365US365&...

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ............. Also read up on RAM memory testing.

Honored Resident
BearTrap Rodas
Answered

Sorry if I am being slow Faubio, but are you saying that Stumpy Leg is more likely to be caused by a problem with you hard disk than a bug in the code?

There are three classes of people: those who are concise, those who embellish their message, and those who just keep going on and on writing all kinds of crap and finally run out of space to
Faubio Alter
Answered

According to the OP this is the correct answer:

"It's a bug... when it happens to me and my guy... we use different  viewers, so different solutions work for us.  He stands in appearance  for a moment and that brings him out of the ground.  He uses 2.0.  I use  Emerald and when it happens to me, I sit on something and then stand  and my feet are out of the ground.  Hope one of these help you.  Good  luck!"

The viewer software is not in the hard drive? Then where is it stored? You do know all RAM is loaded into the hard drive at shutdown of the PC, correct?

That it can be repaired using a sit indicates that it a minor glitch in the script relevant to Emerald. The fact that the problem has persisted for three years is still very important. In fact if Emerald existed three years ago maybe in doubt. if it did it was used by very few. The OP does not appear to be a candidate as a  BETA tester.

Back to the ABC's for Irene.

Needless to say no agreement will be reached here.

Faubio Alter
Answered
Its been happening on all my accounts for about 3 years now

So do you think this person has been using the same AO or animations for three years? I am assuming you believe this is in a particular AO or animation and not all of them. There is possibly a bigger issue then a single script problem or wonky animation. And yes I do believe people go three years between checking for hard drive errors if they know how to do it at all.

All PC information is stored on the hard drive on shutdown if there are problems with it many things can be effected,

Aren't you using Linux? Is it hard to help those with Windows OSs if your using Linux?

Nyll Bergbahn
Answered

Faubio.Alter wrote:

As my old 150,000+ post mentor would say, Google it!

Start reading:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=hard+drive+errors&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS365US365&...

Message was edited by: Faubio.Alter ............. Also read up on RAM memory testing.

Be simpler for us all if you just quoted the exact link that says a hard drive error causes feet to sink into the ground in Second Life rather a general link to hard drive errors.

Nyll

Faubio Alter
Answered

Time for a new AO. You might run a check disk on your PC if it's running a Windows OS. This might be a hard drive error.

Nyll Bergbahn
Answered

Oh, I've never had a hard disk error on my old computer and I certainly don't have any on my new one. I'm sure hard drive errors can cause all sorts of problems but I remain sceptical that so many people have identical hard drive errors that cause their feet to sink into the ground. I mean, why don't some errors cause their arms to flap in the air or their heads show back to front (don't laugh, this actually happened sometime in 2005 I think when people logged in, they found themselves walking around with their heads facing the wrong way!)

Of course, looking at JIRA issues, there are probably various bugs in the code causing feet to sink into the ground. I don't think the new Viewer 2 feet in the ground issue is the same as in older JIRAs or the one the OP has. I never had it prior to installing Viewer 2 and I don't have it when I use 1.23.5. Fortunately it's an easy workaround until they fix it.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-19155

Nyll

Nyll Bergbahn
Answered

Irene Muni wrote:

No hard disk manage the position of the avatar inworld. It's that simple. It's the ABC of SL.

Yes I fully agree.

Nyll

Faubio Alter
Answered

Because it's not that simple. The problem is not specific, it is a general problem with nothing to do with its symptoms. This problem in fact can effect everything you do on your PC/Laptop

I'll answer your question with an example.

You download a program to your PC. Lets call it the XYZ program. You like XYZ program and use it a lot. when you install it it works great not a problem with it everything is just peachy. Over  a period of time however it begins to develop problems ....  maybe a sound disappears, icon become fuzzy or buttons stick,.  it may stop working altogether. Usually most people simple start over and reload the software and viola, it's repaired. Why and where does this problem come from? What if XYZ is the SL viewer or the cache would this have anything to do with SL? By-the-way, programs you use the most are the ones most effected by this problem. Why is this?

I would suggest you run your check disks routinely.

Is this the hard drive the only factor that can cause these problem? No, but it is a  major one.

Other essential Window OS maintenace.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Optimize-Windows-Vista-for-better-performance

Honored Resident
Alice Klinger
Answered

Hi, this has been a bug mainly high up in the sky long ago. Not sure if it still is, but usually sitting on something helps to fix it.

If it is on linden ground, maybe the sitting and standing up helps as well.

If it is not linden ground, maybe you are standing on or between sculpted things and their collision boundaries are causing the problem.

Then there is just one thing to do: if you own the sculpties, make them phantom (rightclick, chose edit, check phantom box), if not, go someplace else :-)