recomended pc spec for secondlife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi all been thinking about getting a new pc but not that great with all the technical stuff and what would be ideal spec for running second life pretty stablely

found this on ebay was wondering if the spec is upto running to second life?

any advice would be great :)

Technical Specs: 
Processor (CPU):AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ - 2.7GHz
Memory (RAM):4 GB DDR2 RAM
Hard Disk Controller:On-Board Serial ATA (SATA) controller
Hard Disk Drive:80 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive Installed
Graphics:Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 256MB Dual Display Graphics Card.
Audio:Integrated Sigmatel 9200 High Definition audio
Optical Drive:DVD-ROM Optical Drive
Network Ports:Integrated Broadcom® 5754 Gigabit* Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000 solution with Remote Wake Up and PXE support
Power:275 watts
Operating System License:Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Expansion Slots:1 x PCI Slot (low Profile)
1 x PCI-e x16 (low profile)
Interface Ports:

Front:

Headphone
Microphone
2 x USB 2.0

Rear:

5 x USB 2.0,
1 x VGA
1 x Serial port
1 x Parallel port
1 x RJ-45 to integrated Gigabit LAN
1 x audio In
1 x audio Out

Amethyst Damour wrote:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ - 2.7GHz

Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 256MB Dual Display Graphics Card.

80 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive Installed

Home Premium 64 Bit

1 x VGA

This is not a new PC, it's clearly old and/or refurbished.

Processor and graphics card are a waste of money on the above - they're not current and they're a long long way from anything I'd recommend anyone use. 256Mb is nothing, 8400GS probably isn't capable of running SL >10FPS.

80Gb hard disk isn't enough for anything except basic applications and web browsing.

Home Premium is awful, and (given about a month) will be a long way behind the current curve. If you want to buy Windows 7, buy Professional or Ultimate.

VGA will limit your viewable resolution significantly - it's an out of date standard. That there's only one of them (according to your info) means the dual display capability is pointless. There's further contradictory information in the PCI description.

My overall recommendation: Skip this one, buy something that's worth the money you're spending. This PC is at least 4 years old and should be scrap metal by now.

If you're not familiar with PC hardware there are experts available online and in stores.

You should also make sure that your network isn't going to limit your experience. Network capability is often more important than graphical capability.

Please note that I only ever post once in hardware threads. No further clarifications will be added.

P.S. please don't copypaste tables, they're annoying as heck to take apart.

While I generally agree with your post and  would say "Hands off that crappola!" as well, I still gotta ask what's so terrible about Win 7 Home Premium? I mean apart from it being a totally unacceptable Microsoft OS?

And the table? LOL, if OP hadn't copypasted it we'd not know about what we're talking here.

@ Amethyst Damour: you might have heard the old wisdom of "the right tool for the job". It's the same with software/programs and hardware. In case you wanna hang a picture at a wall, you need a hammer/nail combo and you need to know how to use it. In case you wanna enter the virtual world of Second Life you need reasonably strong hardware. You don't know what you need you must first study the requirements. LL hemself are having a table of required hardware on their website. By studying that you'll find out that particularly in the graphics compartment you need a good beefy graphics card, one that's doing particularly well with Open GL. 2 minutes more of research and you find out that traditionally Nvidia is better in that field than  AMD. It's not so true nowadays anymore but in general you can't go wrong with Nvidia. So try to find a PC with as good as possible Nvidia graphics. 5 minutes more research on Nvidia's website and you'll know which of their cards will do.

You'll also find out that general processing power isn't that important for running SL, so you'll know to spend the biggest part of your budget for the graphics, and only then on any other stuff.

My main beef with Second life and the recommended specs to successfully run and operate second life from your home pc is that currently the draw on ones pc resources are escalating so fast older machines are unable to continue coping. A machine I bought just one year ago, that was capable of supporting three Avis at high without crashing  can now barely sustain a single avi. I have recently bought a custom gaming machine very capable of competing at the highest levels of most online games, and yet SL performance is extremely limited at ultra, tolerable at high and only really functional at med. Sl has always been a resource Hog and it seems to me that changes over the past year have created a resource monster, greedily devouring any and all resources we can throw at it. We hear of great improvments and increased stability, but do those who call for better enhanced graphics quality really ever sit down and think?? SL is what it is NOT because a few computer genius'swith all powerful wonder systems can make some stupid unneeded unwanted unheard of advance in thier itinery of in world product. SL has grown to the size it is because it appeals to the masses, those hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy the community, but cannot always afford the latest and best machine, cannot afford to upgrade to a newer machine every few years, and hey they even sometimes enjoy running more than one avi at one time. Therefore if I were asked what would I want out of SL my answer would be stop advanced developement, stop increased graphical enhancement. get the system stable and efficient, remove the bugs of which there are still many and when you have actually achieved, these few goals then ASK the general community what we would like and share with us the possible increase in required specs BEFORE implementing change.

Elisha Kling wrote:

A machine I bought just one year ago, that was capable of supporting three Avis at high without crashing  can now barely sustain a single avi. I have recently bought a custom gaming machine very capable of competing at the highest levels of most online games, and yet SL performance is extremely limited at ultra, tolerable at high and only really functional at med.

Sorry, but I don't really believe that. My machine which was kinda average when I built it in 2014 can still support at least 2 avies and is on ultra settings all the time (256 DD, 12 avies, with all bells and whistles but shadows). Please post your specs and telll us what you have running on your machine besides SL. I know some ppl who have photoshop, forum, email, office, marketplace, YouTube, Skype, all that useless **bleep** running and  then they wonder why their poor compi is going bonkers.

Specs:

4930K hexacore @ 4ghz

16GB DDR3 at 1866mhz

Dual GTX 660 TI's in SLI

Dual 28inch 1080p Monitors

512GB SDD @ 550MB/S

50Mb's Download, 5Mb's upload.

I average 60FPS with VSYNC enabled to reduce tearing.  I often have 3DS Max open while rendering,  Photoshop,  Mutltiple Google Chrome Tabs ("pandora,youtube etc") , Skype,  Microsoft Word etc..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.