measuring lag ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There maybe better ways but the two things I can think off:

Open About Land and in the General tab click on Script Info. This will show you the memory used by individual scripted objects so you can compare the memory used. I'm not sure how much this tells you about lag but it is an indicator.

The other thing you can do is hit Ctrl+Shift+1 to bring up the Statistics bar. Scroll down to the bottom and look at the Script Time in the Time section. This gives you the time taken by scripts per frame for the sim.

Each sim frame (not to be confused with your personal frame rate) has 22 milliseconds to do all the stuff it needs to do to create the frame and that is split up between script time and the other items that you see there in that section. So you can rez one boat at a time and compare the difference in script time used.

well the idea was not for reducing lag, but for use as  an argument against unscrupulous sim owners favouring certain  individual creators who use the term  " lag "  unfairly ,as an excuse to ban boats of other creators . When  in fact there appears to be no measurable differences in the amount of lag caused by these boats . but thanks for your input anyway  :)

Define "lag". Nothing in this thread is about lag.

If you mean impact on sim performance: there is none, so just forget it.

If you want to compare the amount of load on the sim's script execution - that's not easy.

Many - so called - script meters show the amount of memory usage. Bad thing is that it isnt possible to find out the memory usage of a script - so that devices have errors of a few 1000%. You can only find out the max. possible memory usage. But that has nothing to do with the used amount of memory. Not to mention code sharing - equal scripts will use the same code. So 100 scripts use the same space as 1 script. (old resizers for example)

Script execution time is more interesting. But a short check gives you zero info. The scripts need some time to get to the final state. There is a difference of course when the object is just standing there idle or is running. If it's running the values will change alot. So it will take quite some checks to find out what objects have higher impact.

Compare that with the avatars on sim and maybe you'll find out that you probably should better kick avatars than objects. :D But that depends. I've seen more low power avatars lately.

ARW - Mesh Gown 1.JPG

Mesh Gown - ARW almost 400,000  (girl in background, ~330,000)

ARW - Mesh Gown 2.JPG

Mesh Gown - ARW AROUND 300,000 (Man in system clothes tux with a few prims/sculpties, 51,000)

ARW - System Gown - Flexis.JPG

Old style Gowns - ARW around 80,000.  These were not very fancy gowns. Haute Gowns done with system clothes/flexis/sculpties usually run around 125,000 to 150,000.

Nova Convair wrote:

Compare that with the avatars on sim and maybe you'll find out that you probably should better kick avatars than objects.
:D
But that depends. I've seen more low power avatars lately.

You must be hanging out at a nude beach if you are seeing more lower power Ava's.

And it is getting more and more like this every where I go.  Overall Mesh clothes has been increasing average ARW 50 to 100% and in some cases more.  And if you put a dozen Ava's in one place it's adding up to a huge impact.

And I've seen two instances of Ava's wearing mesh boobs who topped 500,000.

(All three pictures taken at same dance event)

ETA:  In many instances some people don't realize they are their own walking lag bombs.

Perrie Juran wrote:You must be hanging out at a nude beach if you are seeing more lower power Ava's.

And it is getting more and more like this every where I go.  Overall Mesh clothes has been increasing average ARW 50 to 100% and in some cases more.  And if you put a dozen Ava's in one place it's adding up to a huge impact.

ETA:  In many instances some people don't realize they are their own walking lag bombs.

I answered about scripts and avatars seem to have fewer scripts lately.

Overmeshed clothes by clueless designers are another story. And since more and more mesh bodies are out there you don't even need clothes for a mega triangle count. :)

I can and will mute avatars if I ever identify a trouble maker - but that did not happen yet. I still can render them all even the bad ones.

Perrie Juran wrote:

ARW - Mesh Gown 1.JPG

ARW - Mesh Gown 2.JPG

Mesh Gown - ARW AROUND 300,000 (Man in system clothes tux with a few prims/sculpties, 51,000)

Old style Gowns - ARW around 80,000.  These were not very fancy gowns. Haute Gowns done with system clothes/flexis/sculpties usually run around 125,000 to 150,000.

Nova Convair wrote:

Compare that with the avatars on sim and maybe you'll find out that you probably should better kick avatars than objects.

You must be hanging out at a nude beach if you are seeing more lower power Ava's.

It isn't mesh itself, it's badly made mesh - if it even is the mesh. You have no way of knowing what the contribution of each individual worn piece is, only the total.  A complete Belleza mesh body, including hands and feet, has an ARC of a little over 8000 (not 80,000 -- 8000. I'm looking at it right now.) Adding a single non-mesh hairstyle just increased the ARC to over 480,000 (this is admittedly a hairstyle that I'm well aware is an ARC bomb.) High ARC's are usually the fault of hair and it is often non-mesh hair. Are there bad mesh items? Undoubtedly.

I usually run around 100,000 ARC only because my usual hair is older, badly optimized mesh. With a newer hairstyle I have an ARC 26409 while wearing a mesh biker jacket and mesh leather pants, both detailed down to the zipper pulls; a mesh necklace; mesh strappy, studded heels and rigged mesh hair.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

ARW - Mesh Gown 1.JPG

ARW - Mesh Gown 2.JPG

Nova Convair wrote:

It isn't mesh itself, it's badly made mesh - if it even
is
the mesh. You have no way of knowing what the contribution of each individual worn piece is, only the total.  A complete Belleza mesh body, including hands and feet, has an ARC of a little over 8000 (not 80,000 -- 8000. I'm looking at it right now.) Adding a single non-mesh hairstyle just increased the ARC to over 480,000 (this is admittedly a hairstyle that I'm well aware is an ARC bomb.) High ARC's are usually the fault of hair and it is often non-mesh hair. Are there bad mesh items? Undoubtedly.

I usually run around 100,000 ARC only because my usual hair is older, badly optimized mesh. With a newer hairstyle I have an ARC 26409 while wearing a mesh biker jacket and mesh leather pants, both detailed down to the zipper pulls; a mesh necklace; mesh strappy, studded heels and rigged mesh hair.

I'm aware that there are many factors that contribute to ARC.  I know I used a broad generalisation.  Unfortuneatly badly made mesh is the norm.  And a lot of it is very badly made.  I've watched one of my friends jump from 50,000 to 150,000 just by changing from system shorts and shirt to mesh shorts and top.

At another club I did see a girl with a mesh dress at only 30,000.  That was one out of about 20.  I know, nothing really I can do about it.  I certainly am not going to play ARC Nazi.  But one out of twenty is not an acceptable situation.

Pamela Galli wrote:

What is ARW.  I just found my ARC, which is 1242.  Is this the same as ARW?

Avatar Render Weight.  It replaced the old ARC.  If I recall, you use Singularity so I'm not sure what they are doing.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rendering_weight

In Firestorm it's called "show render weight," not "draw weight" as in the official viewer.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'm aware that there are many factors that contribute to ARC.  I know I used a broad generalisation. 
Unfortuneatly badly made mesh is the norm
.  And a lot of it is very badly made.  I've watched one of my friends jump from 50,000 to 150,000 just by changing from system shorts and shirt to mesh shorts and top.

At another club I did see a girl with a mesh dress at only 30,000.  That was one out of about 20.  I know, nothing really I can do about it.  I certainly am not going to play ARC Nazi.  But one out of twenty is not an acceptable situation.

Can you provide any evidence to show that its the "norm", and that it was any different pre-mesh? Because I'm not seeing high weights on my avatar-creation alt who has a couple of dozen avatar designs with a wide variety of mesh clothing, and I remember seeing pre-mesh avatars with draw weights over 200,000. (Flexi hair - fear it.)

well i`m guessing they are concerned about the impact ,of the scripts used in the boats , on the sim.......... some seem to think that  a boat with a few scripts causes more impact than a boat with just one script ........ is this so ? I mean if  its scripted well with several short scripts how will that compare to something scripted using just one longer script to  achieve the same results ?

Kurt Jiagu wrote:

well i`m guessing they are concerned about the impact ,of the scripts used in the boats , on the sim.......... some seem to think that  a boat with a few scripts causes more impact than a boat with just one script ........ is this so ? I mean if  its scripted well with several short scripts how will that compare to something scripted using just one longer script to  achieve the same results ?

Every script cause a small idle load so it's always a good idea to keep the script count low. But what matters is the script load in action. 10 scripts with 0.02ms are better than one script with 0.5ms so the number alone means nothing.

I made a few load tests a while ago. If we are talking about a few 100 scripts the numbers are meaningless. The script execution got into troubles when I triggered 3000 listening scripts simultaneously a few 100 times. So a few boats alone cant shatter a sim. The spectators will shatter the sim much more. :D

Don't confuse that with lag. If the script execution is overloaded that will only lag other scripts. Not avatars or movement or teleportation.

So the biggest impact on a race will be the spectators. Strip them naked and make them drop all huds or something. :D

Perrie Juran wrote:

ARW - Mesh Gown 1.JPG

ARW - Mesh Gown 2.JPG

Nova Convair wrote:

Peri Mason stands up before the courtroom and addresses the expert witness.

"So, Mr Juran, you're saying it must be the mesh clothing that's responsible for these ladies' out of control draw weights? Let's just do a little experiment..."

Peri Mason removes her hair and strips down to bikini-shaped body paint. A green "1000" floats above her head.

"Now let's see what happens when I put on a pair of non-mesh shoes..."

Ms. Mason pulls out a dusty box and pulls out a pair of Stiletto Moody sculpted shoes. She shakes them until the invisiprims finally restart, clanking and blowing out toxic smoke. She straps them on and smiles as the hovertext above her head changes:

PeriMason_002.png

"Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a draw weight of 298,892 from a single pair of sculpted shoes! No further questions, your honor..."

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

ARW - Mesh Gown 1.JPG

ARW - Mesh Gown 2.JPG

Nova Convair wrote:

Peri Mason stands up before the courtroom and addresses the expert witness.

"So, Mr Juran, you're saying it must be the mesh clothing that's responsible for these ladies' out of control draw weights? Let's just do a little experiment..."

Peri Mason removes her hair and strips down to bikini-shaped body paint. A green "1000" floats above her head.

"Now let's see what happens when I put on a pair of
non-mesh
shoes..."

Ms. Mason pulls out a dusty box and pulls out a pair of Stiletto Moody sculpted shoes. She shakes them until the invisiprims finally restart, clanking and blowing out toxic smoke. She straps them on and smiles as the hovertext above her head changes:

PeriMason_002.png

"Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a draw weight of 298,892 from a
single pair of
sculpted shoes!
No further questions, your honor..."

Does anyone actually wear Stiletto Moody's anymore?  ;)

You do have the Martian at a disadvantage because he neither owns or wears any Mesh.  Or Stiletto Moody's.

At this time the Martian will withdraw his case but reserves the right to refile it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.