WiFi and SL getting more agreeable?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been out on the road this summer, doing SL from public wifi at assorted locations as we tour in our RV.  

And something very strange has been happening.  I've run into a string of 4 or 5 sites in a row where SL works reasonably well, but with packet loss  only about 0.1 or 0.2 %.  Even when the download rate on Speedtest.net dips well below 0.5 mbps.  

This is truely odd and different from my experience over the last few years.  My tried and true experience was that many, even most, wifi connections had excess packet loss, even when other things worked fine.  My daughter had a router that tested out at 20 mbps, but gave >10% packet loss and horrible lag for SL.  Other apps worked fine.

Now, I know that the IEEE has had some issues with the standards on routers.  It was possible to comply with the standard, and still not work for some applications.  (Like SL).

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone out there knows?  Has SL changed the code to work better with faulty routers, or are newer, more agreeable routers replacing the old ones?

I been using wifi sense  Dec 23 2013 from 2 different connections types (DSL & cable)  4 to 5 IPS names as I am renting rooms until I get a stable home.

So far it has been great !

I bought a simple USB wireless -G- Dual band (35 dollars at Walmart) hooked to a desktop.

I own  a new laptop ,it has a Dual band wireless system built in.

Any DSL I connect to has been lag and  packet lost with SL and most of my net toys(tv box,ipad,iphone).

Cable is  a steady 10/12MB down and 6/ 8 up and 0 packet lost(Comcast),and all toys work good too.

I would imagen if you are dealing with any tech over 3 years old (laptop,wireless connection USB) you could use a update for better performance or this could just be DSL you are working off of.

Win7/8 have very advanced wifi software , I have read in the past 2 years the wireless hardware world has made huge leaps in speeds and preventing packet lost.

How old is your computer?

What OS do you use?

What type of wifi card is in the computer?

I've been using 10 to 20 different public wifi hook-ups per year for the last 2 or 3 years.  Maybe even 4.  Packet loss has always been an issue, usually *the* issue.  Now, suddenly...  almost zero packet loss, even on really slow (tested with speedtes.net) connections.

The more I think about it, must have been a change in the base SL code.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.