Which Firestorm download do I need?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm not a techie and need help. I have an old comp because I can't afford a new one at this time. I'm running, Windows XP 32bit SP3. When you're done laughing, please read on.

So it seems that the SL viewer is no longer supporting my comp, and the latest download just keeps crashing within a few minutes. In the past I've tried Firestorm, but my comp didn't like that, so I stayed with the SL viewer. Now that it quit working, I thought I might as well try Firestorm again but it crashed too, and also my comp even crashed and auto restarted. It said the system recovered from a serious error message.

So now I'm looking at Firestorm's download page.

I am totally confused. Do I really have to backup up settings like it says when I never used this viewer? And, am I updating, or uninstalling and reinstalling a different program because further down the page, it says that Phoenix is no longer supported. The version I have says, Firestorm 4.5.1 (38838) Oct 28 2013 00:03:49 (Firestorm-Beta) with Havok support.

I don't know if that's Phoenix.

Next on the download page;

"OpenSIM versions of FS do not have Havok. That only matters if you're uploading mesh objects and need to specify the mesh physics properties, or if you need to manipulate the region navmesh for pathfinding. The terms of the Havok license prohibit its use anywhere but Second Life, so it's not present in OpenSim versions. Furthermore, the Havok libraries are not currently available for 64-bit platforms."

I have no clue what this is saying and therefore, don't know which of the 2 available downloads that follow this paragraph is the one I need. I do build and make sculpties if that matters.

Finally, also on the page;

"Additional Downloads to Fix Problems

Windows

Windows XP 32bit SP3 32bit windows XP SP2 and earlier is not supported, and may not work. Windows 2000 and earlier are also not supported."

Is this saying that I need an additional download (and which one) after I download whichever one I need from above?

I don't know if this will work at all for my comp or not, but I'd really like to be able to stay in SL. I've heard there are other viewers for SL out there but don't know what's safe or works.

I appreciate any help.
Pinky

Pinky Vought wrote:

Hi,

I'm not a techie and need help. I have an old comp because I can't afford a new one at this time. I'm running, Windows XP 32bit SP3. When you're done laughing, please read on.

So it seems that the SL viewer is no longer supporting my comp, and the latest download just keeps crashing within a few minutes. In the past I've tried Firestorm, but my comp didn't like that, so I stayed with the SL viewer. Now that it quit working, I thought I might as well try Firestorm again but it crashed too, and also my comp even crashed and auto restarted. It said the system recovered from a serious error message.

So now I'm looking at Firestorm's download page.

I am totally confused. Do I really have to backup up settings like it says when I never used this viewer? And, am I updating, or uninstalling and reinstalling a different program because further down the page, it says that Phoenix is no longer supported. The version I have says, Firestorm 4.5.1 (38838) Oct 28 2013 00:03:49 (Firestorm-Beta) with Havok support.

I don't know if that's Phoenix.

Next on the download page;

"OpenSIM versions of FS do not have Havok. That only matters if you're uploading mesh objects and need to specify the mesh physics properties, or if you need to manipulate the region navmesh for pathfinding. The terms of the Havok license prohibit its use anywhere but Second Life, so it's not present in OpenSim versions. Furthermore, the Havok libraries are not currently available for 64-bit platforms."

I have no clue what this is saying and therefore, don't know which of the 2 available downloads that follow this paragraph is the one I need. I do build and make sculpties if that matters.

Finally, also on the page;

"Additional Downloads to Fix Problems

Windows
Windows XP 32bit SP3
32bit windows XP SP2 and earlier is not supported, and may not work. Windows 2000 and earlier are also not supported."

Is this saying that I need an additional download (and which one) after I download whichever one I need from above?

I don't know if this will work at all for my comp or not, but I'd really like to be able to stay in SL. I've heard there are other viewers for SL out there but don't know what's safe or works.

I appreciate any help.
Pinky

You want the "For SL 32 Bit."   http://www.firestormviewer.org/downloads/

"Not supported" means it may not run or may have problems running as stated.  If that is the case you will not be able to get help from Firestorm with it. 

There are no additional downloads needed.

Wow, thanks Perrie! I'm still in world! *knocks wood*

Should I uninstall the FS beta version that didn't work? I see now that you sent me directly to FS, and not the Phoenix FS page I was on which caused the confusion.

Should I uninstall the SL viewer, since it's apparently useless to me at the moment?

Thanks again,

Pinky

Pinky Vought wrote:

Wow, thanks Perrie! I'm still in world! *knocks wood*

Should I uninstall the FS beta version that didn't work? I see now that you sent me directly to FS, and not the Phoenix FS page I was on which caused the confusion.

Should I uninstall the SL viewer, since it's apparently useless to me at the moment?

Thanks again,

Pinky

They are not going to hurt anything by being there unless you need Disc space.

On the other hand I see no need to keep them on your machine.

Regardless, glad to hear you are up and running.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.