Unable to move camera with arrow keys when sitting on certain seats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have a problem, I have found a selection of bar stools, tables and chairs I really like but when I sit on the seats the camera goes into a fixed front facing position, at the bar it will be between 2 people as if it was planned.  I press the arrow keys to look around but nothing happens.  If I sit on most seats this is never a problem (AO on or off).  So because i have a club, I want the sitters to be able to see all around, the acts on stage and the tip jars.  I contacted the seller, she said that when she sits on the seats she has no problem moving the camera with arrows, she then asked the person that applies the animations to the chairs to look into it, again they couldnt duplicate my problem and said they cant look into it any further as it works for them, they advised I try the singularity viewer.. I tried the SL viewer, firestorm and singularity all with same issue.  Im kind of glad its the same on all as I was not going to ask people to switch viewers for this, and I was shocked to be asked to switch myself actually.  They have a few other chairs nearby, the same issue is not with all of them, it seems to be the farther away I get from the bar I want the less issues I have.  I first found the bar at another club and the issue was there, this was the reason I went to the demo area to see if that club owner did something wrong, but its the same.

when I logged in via Singularity I had this pop up: "Your movement keys are now being handled by an object.  Try the arrow keys or AWSD to see what the do. Some objects (like guns) require you to go into mouse look to use them.  press ‘M” to do this."

The bar is at: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/La%20Galleria/9/188/26 if you try to sit and move the keys on any seat in my place (animations or not) the cam will turn and I want it too.  round the corner from the bar is some arm chairs, same fixed position there. If you leave the bar and turn right then right again at the kitchen/mesh area it starts to work. even the box at the bar works normally.

either way I need to fix this if it is my end and need to know whats causing it, or if I can tell the owner what is wrong to get them to look at it. they are saying nothing is wrong.

I do want this bar, its too expensive to buy and then use other stools, I cant find a bar I like better so those are not good options.

The only way I can move cam is by holding alt first, this is not a fix its an awkward workaround that I dont think is ok to settle with.  Hopefully someone can recognise the issue and shed some light. thanks in advance.

The camera is set by either

1. llSetCameraParams() or
  2. llSetCameraAtOffset()llSetCameraEyeOffset() alternatively llSetLinkCamera()

In case one you can move the camera back and forth (some called it zoom) by the mouse scroll wheel
In case two the camera is totally locked to the prim with the script

To fix it

1. If the script has an option for not setting the camera, use that
  2. You need to replace or modify the script responsible for this camera control

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

This is my bar, and neither my assistant or I have been able to reproduce this camera effect, which is what is puzzling the three of us.    For me, I sit as usual with no forced camera position.  I have not had any other reports of a locked camera.  Why would the camera lock for Quiver but not for us?

QuiverSyndrome wrote:

No escape doesnt help.  I
can click alt and start moving that way
but as I said
that isnt supposed to be the case
.  I dont want to have to do different things to everyone else, not without a reason. (something isnt right isnt a good enough reason lol)

Not understanding the bolded part, btw. How are you supposed to move your camera?  

QuiverSyndrome wrote:

when I logged in via Singularity I had this pop up: "Your movement keys are now being handled by an object.  Try the arrow keys or AWSD to see what the do. Some objects (like guns) require you to go into mouse look to use them.  press ‘M” to do this."

Techie ppl, why would Singularity say something like this? What kind of object might this be?

Pamela Galli wrote:

QuiverSyndrome wrote:

Techie ppl, why would Singularity say something like this? What kind of object might this be?

That sounds to me like a description of what happens when llTakeControls() is called.

The bolded part, I mean, when I sit in the chairs with scripts I am faced with a fixed view.  If I press arrows nothing happens, if I hold the ALT key and click somewhere, the camera can move again but it will rotate around the object clicked on.  Usually you can sit on a chair and press left and right to rotate yourself to get a good view.

Dora has duplicated my problem at the demo bar.  (Thanks for looking Dora!!).

QuiverSyndrome wrote:

The bolded part, I mean, when I sit in the chairs with scripts I am faced with a fixed view.  If I press arrows nothing happens, if I hold the ALT key and click somewhere, the camera can move again but it will rotate around the object clicked on.  Usually you can sit on a chair and press left and right to rotate yourself to get a good view.

Dora has duplicated my problem at the demo bar.  (Thanks for looking Dora!!).

Ah okay -- I hold down ALT as my default camera movement. I dont see how that would cause this camera malfunction tho

I can reproduce it (Firestorm and LL viewer). It depends how your camera was set before sitting whether you can reproduce it though. Lots of seats are scripted in this way, it isn't unusual.

To reproduce: Before sitting on the seat, hit ESC a couple of times, right click seat -> Sit Here -> choose animation.

Cam is taken over by the script and you cannot change camera view using arrow keys or by hitting ESC.

However, if you move camera using the camera floater, camera is then unlocked and you can use the arrow keys to look around.

This fails to reproduce: Before sitting on the seat, make sure camera view is not on default - zoom camera out a bit and rotate it and then sit. The script then doesnt take contro of camera and it can be moved with the arrow keys.

The most likely explanation for all this, I think, is that the script (or the furniture) is taking control of the sitter's camera, either by calling llRequestPermissions(sitter, PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA) and llSetCameraParams or by calling llSetCameraAtOffset and llSetCameraEyeOffset (which don't require permissions).

llSetCameraAtOffset and llSetCameraEyeOffset are, as I recall, sticky in the sense that they set prim properties (as do llSetText, llSitTarget, llSetColor, etc).   Once the script has set the prim property, the prim property continues even after the script has been removed.

So if the script isn't calling llSetCameraParams (which Pamela might be able to confirm), you could try simply dropping this little script in, which will clear any existing camera presets and then remove itself:

default{		state_entry(){		llSetCameraAtOffset(ZERO_VECTOR);		llSetCameraEyeOffset(ZERO_VECTOR);		llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());	}}

It can't do any harm.

ETA  This was supposed to be a reply to the thread, not Whirly in particular!  Sorry.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

I can reproduce it (Firestorm and LL viewer). It depends how your camera was set before sitting whether you can reproduce it though. Lots of seats are scripted in this way, it isn't unusual.

To reproduce: Before sitting on the seat, hit ESC a couple of times, right click seat -> Sit Here -> choose animation.

Cam is taken over by the script and you cannot change camera view using arrow keys or by hitting ESC.

However, if you move camera using the camera floater, camera is then unlocked and you can use the arrow keys to look around.

This fails to reproduce: Before sitting on the seat, make sure camera view is not on default - zoom camera out a bit and rotate it and then sit. The script then doesnt take contro of camera and it can be moved with the arrow keys.

Thank you Whirly -- it was bugging me why I could not reproduce.  My camera is almost never in default position behind my avi, so that explains why I never get that camera effect.

My assistant is the one who owns the sit system and creates the config card to drop in the chairs so she is going to see about removing even the possibility of having the camera locked like that.  I imagine there should not be much to it.

ETA  I was able to reproduce the camera effect by hitting esc before sitting, etc.  Using the arrow keys does not unlock the camera but I am guessing the reason no one else has reported this as a problem is that most people use something other than arrow keys to rotate camera.  It would never have occurred to me to use them for that purpose.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

The most likely explanation for all this, I think, is that the script (or the furniture) is taking control of the sitter's camera, either by calling llRequestPermissions(sitter, PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA) and llSetCameraParams or by calling llSetCameraAtOffset and llSetCameraEyeOffset (which don't require permissions).

llSetCameraAtOffset and llSetCameraEyeOffset are, as I recall, sticky in the sense that they set prim properties (as do llSetText, llSitTarget, llSetColor, etc).   Once the script has set the prim property, the prim property continues even after the script has been removed.

So if the script isn't calling llSetCameraParams (which Pamela might be able to confirm), you could try simply dropping this little script in, which will clear any existing camera presets and then remove itself:
default{		state_entry(){		llSetCameraAtOffset(ZERO_VECTOR);		llSetCameraEyeOffset(ZERO_VECTOR);		llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());	}}

It can't do any harm.

ETA  This was supposed to be a reply to the thread, not Whirly in particular!  Sorry.

Thank you Innula, we will give it a try now that I know how to reproduce. :-)  Dora came with a similar script, which we tried -- and it worked -- but it did not seem to entirely have the desired effect as far as keeping the sit positions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.