Strange problem with media viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, hope someone can help with my issue.

My friend has a Damani Media Viewer (youtube player etc) it is not the Pro version. It is deeded to the land group the club is on and at the time of the problem my friend was the previous owner. We have had the viewer for a couple of years in different locations. It is transfer so pass it between us as needed.

We currently have the viewer at a club in the sky on our sim. We have been using it for several weeks and it has been working with no problems for adding youtube url's via chat, reading notecards of a list of youtube url's and playing them and scrolling textures that are in edit/contents.

Yesterday we started having a problem that every time anyone arrived at the club via tp or our hostess offered a dance to someone using her hud the media player would stop and restart the video again. This has never happened before, so this morning I had a look at it to see if I could find out what was wrong. I 'took' the viewer and rezzed it again to give me permission to access the settings. As it was rezzing I got a script error with the notecard reader... a stack heap collision or something like that. When it had rezzed I deeded it and had a look at edit/contents. It is full of a huge number of notecards belonging to my friend that were not there before. It was him using the media viewer yesterday (adding youtube url's) and somehow his notecards from his inventory have got into the viewer. I looked at the properties of a few of the notecards (many would not allow me to) and they were all showing as received (not created, some were years old) yesterday 19 July. I have been unable to locate the read notecard script but I think the script error is because there are just too many notecards. I can only think that the 2 problems (tp/dance hud making the screen reset and this notecard issue) are connected. He did also have a few problems with getting the media viewer to play url's but I think that was mainly due to him not knowing how to use it properly. I could see there was some 'clicking anything in sight' being done!

I think it is scary that an object can 'lift' things from someones inventory and add them to its own contents.

If anyone can help with this or has any comments I would be grateful. I am worried in case we have some sort of problem with sim that has caused it to happen as we have a lot of tenants living on the sim and I don't want them to encounter problems. None of the tenants are in the land group.

Many thanks

Venetia Cazalet

Venetia Cazalet wrote:

Hi, hope someone can help with my issue.

My friend has a Damani Media Viewer (youtube player etc) it is not the Pro version. It is deeded to the land group the club is on and at the time of the problem my friend was the previous owner. We have had the viewer for a couple of years in different locations. It is transfer so pass it between us as needed.

We currently have the viewer at a club in the sky on our sim. We have been using it for several weeks and it has been working with no problems for adding youtube url's via chat, reading notecards of a list of youtube url's and playing them and scrolling textures that are in edit/contents.

Yesterday we started having a problem that every time anyone arrived at the club via tp or our hostess offered a dance to someone using her hud the media player would stop and restart the video again. This has never happened before, so this morning I had a look at it to see if I could find out what was wrong. I 'took' the viewer and rezzed it again to give me permission to access the settings. As it was rezzing I got a script error with the notecard reader... a stack heap collision or something like that. When it had rezzed I deeded it and had a look at edit/contents. It is full of a huge number of notecards belonging to my friend that were not there before. It was him using the media viewer yesterday (adding youtube url's) and somehow his notecards from his inventory have got into the viewer. I looked at the properties of a few of the notecards (many would not allow me to) and they were all showing as received (not created, some were years old) yesterday 19 July. I have been unable to locate the read notecard script but I think the script error is because there are just too many notecards. I can only think that the 2 problems (tp/dance hud making the screen reset and this notecard issue) are connected. He did also have a few problems with getting the media viewer to play url's but I think that was mainly due to him not knowing how to use it properly. I could see there was some 'clicking anything in sight' being done!

I think it is scary that an object can 'lift' things from someones inventory and add them to its own contents.

If anyone can help with this or has any comments I would be grateful. I am worried in case we have some sort of problem with sim that has caused it to happen as we have a lot of tenants living on the sim and I don't want them to encounter problems. None of the tenants are in the land group.

Many thanks

Venetia Cazalet

There are times when the inventory panel can have its highlight jump from where you placed it to a different level - one cause seems to be recieving a notification when you've got something highlighted. This is also the cause of people discovering they're wearing their entire inventory or other huge amount of objects. It sounds like when your friend was trying to drag in a notecard with URL's the highlight jumped up to his notecard directory and he didn't notice it, so the entire notecard directory (or other higher-level folder) got copied over by mistake.

Hi Theresa

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think he was dragging a notecard he was copy and pasting the urls directly from youtube to to the media viewer. I will ask him though. Once or twice really weird things happened with the screen so maybe he tried to drag a url by mistake from a notecard or something.

Venetia

• 1 month later...

This is a general response to media prims ... not sure if it will help your particular player or not ...

If you see a message from YouTube that you're on an unsupported browser, this may be the cause. YouTube has deprecated the default inworld browser (the one that's typically incorporated in media players) and no longer "supports it." However, by experimentation, I've found that the actual videos work, despite the dire warning. You generally just have to click through to it a few times. Also, in general, I've found that you have to click on the media player (the prim face containiner for the Media on a Prim =MOAP= to 'activate' it (there's some kind of time out when it'll revert to untouched, and you just have to click the surface again), then click a link for the actual video.

Also, be sure that you've activated media and it's actually playing ... sometimes the media buttons deactivate (timeouts? not sure, to be honest).

As far as I know, it's not possible to write notecards on the fly, and the only way for a notecard to appear in the contents is by dragging them there. Perhaps it was done accidently? Have you tried removing the extra notecards (dragging them from the player's contents back into inventory to save them)? Are you saying that the script itself is missing?

Maybe it's time to contact the creator, if they're still inworld?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.