Question about how the inventory works?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I don't really know where to ask.

Now, I know that if I buy an item on one computer, and log onto the same account on a different computer, it won't be there. Or at least, that's what's happened in the past. But something's happened to my computer and I need to have it repaired, if on the off chance I lose everything (Which has happened before.. :/ It just gets formatted) would it be there once I redownload second life on the same computer as before?

And if not, is there any file I can save onto a USB stick before I send it to get repaired, just in case? I'm not too worried about the items I've created, but more the none-trans avatars that cost a lot of L$ to get.

Thank you :3

FloofferMcNooters wrote:

Now, I know that if I buy an item on one computer, and log onto the same account on a different computer, it won't be there. 

That is wrong. Your inventory is saved on the SL asset servers, not on your computer and should show up no matter which machine you use to log in.

If you're having troubles with that here's a few good reads to troubleshoot:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_loss

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_Recovery_Steps

If you are talking about your inworld inventory, it should be the same no matter where you access sl. The info is stored in SL. However if you have chat logs, pictures, and even viewer settings that is stored on your hard drive, if you switch computers, that information would not be there.

FloofferMcNooters wrote: [...]`
I know that if I buy an item on one computer, and log onto the same account on a different computer, it won't be there [...]

That shouldn't have happened. Regardless of the computer or device you use to log in Second Life, if you do it to the same account you should see the exact same items, because they're stored remotely, not locally; therefore any failure in that regard is necessarily an inventory loading failure in the computer or viewer where you don't see that recently bought item. And inventory load failures are relatively easy to fix, by performing a local cache clean to force the faulty viewer to reload your whole inventory from scratch (at which point the apparently missing item should re-appear). Actual inventory losses are far less frequent -and for that matter, they can occur whether you stay in the same computer & viewer or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.