Notebook for Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Excuse me, this is the first time I write here, and I do not know if it's the right thread. Does anyone know if this laptop is good for Second Life? Whether to create in Second Life which to play. Thank you fot the help

HP   Pavilion 15-N253sl

Processore AMD A6 Series A6-5200 (2.00GHz, 2MB L3)
HD 750GB - RAM 8GB - Display 15,6" wide
Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n - Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
Scheda grafica AMD Radeon HD 8400/8670M Dual 1GB dedicata

This is exactly the right place for such questions, Marina. Well done finding it. :smileyhappy:

Well, your lappy on the other hand ... oh my, ohmyohmy. :smileysurprised:  Using 2 GPUs in that book suggests it's a beast of a gaming machine, right? WRONG! Unfortunately not even the better one (8760M) isn't very good. This is  a multimedia laptop, and would be badly underperforming in a resource hungry application such as SL. 

I mean, of course would it run SL. It woud be good enough for a lot of people. But you want to create, so you need something a bit better.

Good hint, Drake. Marina should ask herself if she really needs the mobility of a laptop, if she needs it so badly she's willing to compromise on power and thermal problems. Desktop computers are always the better choice, ALWAYS! If you're on the road a lot and sometimes need to connect to SL mobile than just use a cheapo lappy for the time. And do the serious play/work once you're back home. This is how I do it, no problem so far. When I'm travelling I don't have much time for SL anyway and also sharing the lappy with my hubby.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Good hint, Drake. Marina should ask herself if she really needs the mobility of a laptop, if she needs it so badly she's willing to compromise on power and thermal problems. Desktop computers are always the better choice, ALWAYS! If you're on the road a lot and sometimes need to connect to SL mobile than just use a cheapo lappy for the time. And do the serious play/work once you're back home. This is how I do it, no problem so far. When I'm travelling I don't have much time for SL anyway and also sharing the lappy with my hubby.

I went to my local PC repair shop and bought my desktop for $300.. it isn't the top of the line but for what i paid it's freaking awesome.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor (3100 MHz)

Memory: 6144 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2

Especially since he threw in two 1TB hard drives and that graphics card.

I went on craiglist and found someone selling a 27 inch flat screen tv that has the vga terminal as well for $30. Can't beat the price for it and we can watch netflix movies all day long.

Unfortunately I am in Italy and get it from the USA is unsafe

Oh yes, I wouldn't purchase anything from the US, you'll probably have to pay import taxes so it won't be a huge saving anyway. But I guess you must have some computer retail and mailorder shops. At least Amazon, which isn't really good but like available everywhere. Or try Ebay if you don't have any local computer store. Try some Italian computer forum and ask around where the gamers (you want a gaming system!) are getting their stuff. There is also a sizable Italian community in SL, the most famous Italian in SL being Indigo Mertel. She's wise and nice and can surely help you locating and purchasing a capable computer for SL. By all means contact Indi, she won't bite. :matte-motes-nerdy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.