Glossy wood floors?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't tell from those pictures but it looks like the floor texture may use materials texturing.  You would have to have Advanced Lighting in your graphics settings activated to see it that way.  Your computer may or may not support Advanced Lighting depending on the quality of your graphics card.

If you are able to activate Advanced Lighting and don't see it that way the photo's were 'enhanced' in a graphic program.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Also, if you look at the "reflections" you will see that they are not positioned as real ones would be.  

I noticed that, yes. Based on the high LI of the house I figured maybe the creator mirrored it, using the old mirror trick? It'd also explain the odd mirrors where some objects seem to be missing a reflection entirely.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Also, if you look at the "reflections" you will see that they are not positioned as real ones would be.  

I noticed that, yes. Based on the high LI of the house I figured maybe the creator mirrored it, using the old mirror trick? It'd also explain the odd mirrors where some objects seem to be missing a reflection entirely.

Since the buyer says the floors dont have the reflection, I assume it is some photoshop thing. I guess whomever made the pics doesnt mind getting IMs asking why the inworld house doesnt have them.

It's a photoshop hack and poorly done. But even a poorly done hack is pretty.

Notice that the upper right image below shows a reflection of a window that doesn't exist (just to the right of the door), and on the wall with windows the baseboard/wall/window frame bottoms aren't reflected in the floor. If the wall had been duplicated upside down below a translucent floor, all those details would be visible. There are no horizontal mutton bars in the sidelight window reflections abreast the front door, and the reflections fade as you go lower. This suggests the creator used motion blur and perhaps gradients to create the reflections.

I built a mirror trick skybox years ago. I was amused by how easily my wee noggin could be pleased by an obviously (upon inspection) incomplete "reflection" in the floor. Neither my furniture, wall hangings, nor self were reflected in the floor. My brain didn't give a damn, it loved the shiny floor.

Glossy Wood Floor Hack.jpg

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

I'd hope not, because if i were a customer i'd flag them for deceptive/misleading ads
:)
Another good reason to buy from reputable creators, <insert shameless plug> like yourself </end shameless plug>. It at the very least view things inworld before buying.

It's only shamless if I pay you :-D

Well good texturing is all about light and shadow, so yes even bad photoshopping of reflections is appealing. Until you look closer. And until you look at the house inworld.  That is just asking for irate IMs and reviews.

The thing is, the other textures used are nice, and making a shaded and shiny (tho not reflective) floor is pretty easy -- easier than photoshopping in reflections, I would think.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Well good texturing is all about light and shadow, so yes even bad photoshopping of reflections is appealing. Until you look closer. And until you look at the house inworld.  That is just asking for irate IMs and reviews.

The thing is, the other textures used are nice, and making a shaded and shiny (tho not reflective) floor is pretty easy -- easier than photoshopping in reflections, I would think.

I agree, I've no idea why someone talented enough to create that house would resort to doctoring the ad shots.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.