Do the new AMD APU's play well in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Been brainstorming a new PC to build lately. So i wanted to take in consideration  of SL into the build and  the AMD A10-7850K  is really appealing as an all in one  cpu/gpu  processor,  as to compare me building a intel CPU / nvidia GPU counter build. Price on the APU adds up to be about 75$/75$ if i look at the split costs. i know this APU runs  1080p on some  latest game titles  BF4 stuff like that at 40FPS/high settings with 8 gb of DDR3 1866 Ram (deminishing returns for ram of higher clock speeds).

last time i discussed an AMD Grpahics based PC was when a friend of mine with a Radeon 5870 was having shadow glitching  and mesh wasnt rezzing in right.  On the other hand i do know somone running a HD6450 that has no issues with SL, in fact theirs performs better than my nvidia GT610 rig(i get allot of crashing due to  memory  running out issues even though its a 1gb card) so I want to know if anyone is running a AMD apu, even the lower end ones  if it runs ok for you in SL.

It's not hte hardware that is the issue,  they make good hardware.   it's the drivers, they for some reason have never had a good driver set that has worked awesome with SL.   will it work sure, but you might experience issues along the way.   SL is basically a Nvidia driven stepchild.  so with that. go ahead and see how the amd works for you,  just adjust adjust adjust until you can get the querks kicked out of it.

Yes they do fine, but of course, this is a new generation of integrated graphics. I have an a10-6800k, it comes with an 8670d and is not really a slouch for an integrated solution. The one you mentioned comes with an R7 250(much better than the 8670d) I believe. They will perform fine at mid range and may even do shadows for you on non-crowded sims. Heat is really an issue with the APUs. They do come with cooling fans but they are marginal at best. If you get a better cooler you should be ok until you decide you want a dedicated graphics card. 

The benchmarks are for games in DirectX and I can tell you with crossifre enabled with a compatable card, the APU is an amazing creature for non-openGL games. I had mine crossfired with a dedicated R7 250 LP .

I didn't have disappointing results  with just an APU in SL,but I didn't push the hardware trying to make it do what I knew it probably couldn't. Eventually I got one of the new gtx 750 ti's by Nvidia, solid little low power card and no complaints. 

Michael Tempel wrote:

performs better than my nvidia GT610 rig

Of course it does! Everything runs better than a GT610! That's Nvidia's lowest of the low GPU. Heck, I guess even an Intel onboard chip is better.

The AMD A10-7850K is a marvellous chip but that's for games. Even the latest and hardest games are optimised and easier on your GPU than SL. I doubt you'll get much joy from that AMD chip in SL. But don't fret, even if you've wasted some money on that APU you can always add a decent Nvidia card later on shouldn't you be satisfied.

I'm playing with the thought of going the same route in my next build.

I have a new computer with an AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB card and it runs SL graphics beautifully at the ultra high setting with all the bells and whistles enabled.  I didn't have to do a thing and had no driver issues.  This card supports both DirectX and Open GL.

I looked up AMD A10-7850K chips on the AMD website and it said it used AMD R7 brand graphics which also supports both DirectX and Open GL. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I looked up AMD A10-7850K chips on the AMD website and it said it used AMD R7 brand graphics which also supports both DirectX and Open GL. 

Ok, that sounds great. Guess I'm gonna switch from the Intel/Nvidia camp to AMD in my next build. Will save some serious dough and see how it goes. If it turns out sub-optimal I can always add a nice beefy Nvidia card. Or wait for the next gen of APUs with R9 graphics. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.