Desktop computer and Photography on "ultra"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am about ready to replace my high end notebook, with runs a core i7 and 4gig nvidia card (445M). On 'ultra' however, it struggles (like maybe a couple FPS). I do SL photography and weddings. I am of course, also limited by my a 12mbs DSL internet connection, the fastest availble out here in the sticks

I want to replace with a desktop, and spend about 900-1200. OS will be Windows. I understand a core i5 for Sl is fine, however, would feel odd 'downgrading' from a i7. I also do extensive PS work as well

I think my biggest question is graphhics card. Nvidia vs AMD, model, memory etc  I remember SL used favor nvidia card, not sure this the case anymore

I may also want to venture into wedding videography at some point as well

any suggestios?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well after long research, i finaly order compents to replace my Dell lap top (as good as it was)

Haswell i7 processor

Asus z97 MB

16 gig RAM

EVGA GTX 760 4 gig vid card

750w PS

I decided for a bit extra, go with the i7. SL may not need it, but still is good processing large files in PS, or multi tasking or if i ever get into machimina in SL

After a while, maybe, upgrade to the nvidia 9 series but i think the 760 will be more tha enuf for SL

I think, that should work!

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Some AMD cards now support Open GL, which SL uses, as well as DirectX technology.  The Radeon HD 7700 and above as well as the Radeon R7 and R9 series cards.  I have a AMD Radeon R9 270X and couldn't be happier with it. 

Wait until  AMD releases broken drivers, again...

J. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.