Connection Problem---Please Help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I expect to be spending essentially all of my time for the next one to two months on an institutional campus that has public Wi-Fi.  I am able to connect to the Wi-Fi network and logon to Secondlife.com using my Windows laptop, my iPad, and my Android phone.

I want to use my laptop to logon to Second Life.  Because it is so much less expensive, I would prefer to do it over Wi-Fi instead of a cellular data connection.  Whenever I try to logon to SL, using either the LL viewer or Firestorm, it fails to connect and goes into an endless loop trying to connect.  I can connect with the laptop with no difficulty via the cellular network without changing any settings at all.  I cannot connect using Pocket Metaverse on my iPad over Wi-Fi; it times out.  The iPad is not capable of using the cellular network.  I can connect without difficulty using Lumiya on my phone over the cellular network, but it times out when trying to connect via Wi-Fi.

I am baffled.  Can anyone offer an explanation for the observed behavior, and, hopefully, a solution that will allow me to access SL via the Wi-Fi network here?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

There is no general problem with connecting to SL  via WiFi (lots of people do it).  Wi-Fi tends to lose packets and so cause erratic function at times, but it is usable.  Your Wi-Fi  source may have some ports blocked that SL uses.    You will have to talk to the tech people at the source of the Wi-Fi.  Here are some posrt used by SL that may be blocked.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/SL-router-ports/qaq-p/930063

TKR

Read through http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

It is written for testing your connection to SL servers.

Some campus systems deliberately block Second Life because of the high resource use. You will have to contact whoever is managing the campus network and ask.

You may be able to use OnLive with your devices. The cost is US$1/hr.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.