Comparison of graphics cards for Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I see no information on how these results were obtained, therefore I can't see why they should be given any sort of credence whatsoever.  A little more information in that respect would be most helpful in lending validity to your findings.

...Dres

Maxim's page links to here in case you didn't see it.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=718&compareGPU=Second%2520Life

That page is not based upon an actual review of cards using Second Life.

If you look closely on the Graph there are two lines on the left, "minimum" and "recommended."

What the graph is doing is comparing the values of the cards listed with the values of minimum and recommended cards.

It is not based on ACTUAL usage or testing.

While maybe a good guidline, your mileage may still vary.

After all, consider these two statements on that page:

"To get the best visual graphical experience on Second Life, aim to have a GPU that has at least 256 MB GPU RAM."

"Most bottom end graphics cards currently available today, will probably allow you to play Second Life"

My eye caught also this misinformation on that page:

Second Life is going to need a graphics card that is capable of DX 9 or OpenGL 1.5.
Second Life makes use of DX9 so a GPU with that capability could benefit from enhanced visuals.

:smileysurprised:  :smileyfrustrated:        Hammer-head.gif

:smileytongue:

AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics for me, I can agree with your list in sense as I can run Second Life all the way on Ultra Settings and more with no hiccups.

Honestly PC's can be different even ones that are made nowadays, it's all in the graphics card... Some can play it in Medium to High, but in order to play it in the Best quality this is where you're gonna want a good graphics card.

Just because one buys a PC in the market today don't always mean it's updated, it's based on the price you paid and the specs, as we all know ya get what ya pay for sadly. :/

For instance some PC's are built for just web surfing, and some are built specifically for gaming... The PC's built for surfing may be able to run it, but it's gonna have a lot of issues...

I have a HD6950 which is coming up (next month I think) on three years. Still can run on ultra  with advanced lighting with shadows  DOF if needed and two avatars (well it gets a little choppy with two I admit :D). Most high end cards will do fine. They don't even need to be "new". It also depends on the rest of yours system of course. Lots of variables.

There ARE some good graphics card charts out there -- one that are based on actual testing. So for folks actually getting ready to BUY, doing some research might be a good idea.

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.