You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
GG Deezul

Why did second life give me a trojen virus??

I have no idea what is happening!!

While i was logged into secondlife, there have been multiple intrusion attempts on my system.

I have contracted a virus and trojen while being logged into second life, as well as attempting to download viewer 2.

I am no longer able to log a ticket (it gets stuck in a cycle telling me to please specify information I already have typed into it) - and live chat just does not launch with IE or Firefox.

I can not update my existing ticket, so can no longer communicate with LL and can no longer log into second life.

I have been trying for 5 hrs now.

Honored Member
Shockwave Yareach

Re: Why did second life give me a trojen virus??

Reply to GG Deezul - view message

I rather doubt that SL gave you a virus.  If you were running an old version of Emerald, then that could have been how it came in -- Emerald was banned for a reason you know.  But except for the coincidence that you were in SL when the virus hit (how much is your computer on and you aren't logged into SL, hmm?) what is your evidence that the virus came in through Second Life?

There is no Furry Cabal.
- signed, the Furry Cabal...
New Resident
Niki Morani

If u have just downloaded it  and downloaded it from an other site except the official one then that may have a virus.I dont know other reasons..

Honored Resident
GG Deezul

I was no where else at these times.

I am not using emerald - never have.

The only link I have to the download is from secondlife.com - main page.

Viewer 2.3  will not launch.   Viewer 2.4  terminates halfway through download.

I have been using viewer 1.23

stuck - i guess, particulary since I can not log tickets or launch live help.

Honored Resident
Becky Beaumont

I strongly suspect that it's a false positive. It wouldn't be the first time that Norton (and other Anti-Virus packages) erroneously detect a virus/trojan when installing something like Second Life.

Honored Resident
Kinda Crystal

slexually transmitted disease?

Helpfull part: if you only use the SL viewer it is unlikely you have an actual trojan virus from sl. Either you had contracted the virus before sl and it just got picked up while in SL or you don't have a real virus and its just a sl system file your antivirus software thinks is a virus.

Lastly after looking at the file you have selected it doesn't seem to be a file from sl.

Griffin Ceawlin

MRT.exe as shown in this (your) cap is, I believe, Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool:

norton connections2.JPG

It would appear to be MRT.exe, not SecondLife, that has triggered the Unauthorized access logged alert. Why it was logged and not instead blocked, is a good question..

:smileymad: I'm only a part-time b*tch :smileywink:
My time inworld is limited, and precious. IMs detailing your bruised ego are unwelcome.
Go to my Forum profile and try a PM instead. I may even respond.
~ My Silly Little Blog ~
Honored Resident
Deano Ferraris

Is your firewall on?....because you seem to be getting a lot of junk.

Where did the maljava trojan come from in Dec?

Either sort out your anti virus or stay away from dodgy websites.

'Colonics for Everyone!'
Theia Magic

No offense, but Norton IS a 'virus'.  It embeds itself so deep in your system you need a root kit to remove it.  Norton is also known for false positives- many of them.  Overall, I hate to say this, Norton sucks.

You likely got a virus from another location that just happened to be detected while you were logged into SL.  Emails, websites, even possibly a link you opening while in SL could've given you one.

However, it does appear you got a genuine virus regardless of Norton.  Here's some instructions to get rid of it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5076505_rid-trojan-byteverify.html

One Big Blond Moment

Theia's Blog✔
Honored Resident
GG Deezul

Thanks for the light- heartedness Kinda.Crystal  - made me smile for a moment instead of pulling my hair out.

I have been experiencing problems on and off all this month.

This main incident began - while I was currently logged into secondlife yesterday (it has been close to 24hrs that i can not get back in)

I tried all day yesterday to update my help ticket, update secondlife viewer  all with  constant problems.

So i do a full system scan and have found all this.  I can identify the times that show me intrusion attempts were blocked as the times I was actually logged into sl.

I don't know where else it would have come from or how it possibly came to me, or how I can get to log back in.