You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
bobsknief Orsini

The truth about copybot

Before i say something i use the term copybot only because that’s what everyone likes to call it.

To break it down there are 2 types of so called copybots (or better said copyViewers as there not bots):
1. The ones most people know and talk about that give the ability to simply store stuff that’s already loaded on your computer (ex: inventory backup).
2. The ones that are used for locating bugs and circumventing the permissions system.

Can copybot copy objects, scripts or the contents of a prim ??:
The first one cant, but the 2th one can.

I currently know of 3 different viewers wish allow to copy items by circumventing the permissions system (wish im not going to name cause we don’t want people to go look for them and use them).
Iv seen it happen in SL for the last year and its still going on. People copying stuff inside vendors, people copying animations by simple copying the hex code and putting them in a other animations.
And the worse part is, lindenlabs doesn’t know about it or refused to do anything about it.

The whole idea of allowing a viewer to circumventing the permissions system is just proves how flaw it is.
Even devs at lindenlabs shouldn’t be allowed to use such a viewer (hint).
Locating bugs is cool, circumventing the permissions system is not !!

One intresting thing you should know do is that ones a item is rezzed it returnes to the original permissions.
Also the creator of the object stays the same.

p.s. just becouse i know of it doesnt mean i used it. (have never and will never use any copybot viewer)

Additionally, according to the hacking community lindenlabs did make it harder for the 1st type of copybot viewers but as viewers are still allowed to circumventing the permissions system this is nothing but a sick joke.

I hope that one day lindenlabs does something about this so i can create content in SL without having to wory about it being stolen.

Ann Otoole
Topics: 16
Solutions: 23

Re: The truth about copybot

Reply to bobsknief Orsini - view message

☥☠☥Unique Needs! on SLM☥☠☥

Marianne Little
Topics: 21
Solutions: 1

The creators try to protect their stuff by making it no modify, it is a true laugh. Copybot viewers copy it no matter what permissions they are.

The only ones to suffer is the honest customers who buy the things, only to discover they can not rip out annoying scripts like resizers and heel sound. It is not possible to tweak the colors on hardly any thing anymore. If they include colorchange, the colors are almost always too vivid to match my other things... The worst ones even set their prims to "Full Bright". Even the "Delete all scripts" button leaves 2 or more scripts and it still uses script memory.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for the customers. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifiable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that.
~Silent Sky

Honored Resident
Pickle Soup

bobsknief Orsini wrote:

I hope that one day lindenlabs does something about this so i can create content in SL without having to wory about it being stolen.

I create stuff in SL, and i honestly don't give a crap if it gets stolen... I doubt my stuff is popular enough to even bother with anyway, hell, i might actually be flattered if i ever saw one of my creations ripped.

Whatever. I'll just keep on creating, putting it out there for people to use and enjoy. Life's too short... Unless it's impacting your RL in a serious way, just deal with it and don't stress.

◌ ⇨ do not click here ⇦ ◌

"Harry Potter is so unrealistic... no way a ginger kid has two friends."
tako Absent
Blog Posts: 0

I have a question. If we only have the official LL veiwer ( original and the v.2x) is copybots will not exist?

Gadget Portal

tako Absent wrote:

I have a question. If we only have the official LL veiwer ( original and the v.2x) is copybots will not exist?

No. "Copybot viewers" just made it easy. If I had the right software running, I could copybot with the V2.x viewer.

Innula Zenovka

bobsknief Orsini wrote:

I currently know of 3 different viewers wish allow to copy items by circumventing the permissions system (wish im not going to name cause we don’t want people to go look for them and use them).    

I hope you've emailed either Oz or Soft Linden with details of these three viewers so they can investigate the matter and take appropriate measures.

Recognized Member
Itazura Radio

If someone really wants to steal something they will find a way. No matter what you do, if they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it. The real key is you have to make the person not want to steal it. One way to discourage theft is to attempt to secure the item as well as possible. The goal is to reach a level of security where the thief determines it is not worth attempting.

The "Fort Knox" approach rarely if ever works in the digital realm because the ways around it are easy, numerous, and there are little if any consequences to getting caught. The only way I can think of where LL *might* be able to do a Fort Knox approach is to lock down the server and client code, lock out all TPVs, and require payment info on all accounts in order to track thieves. Even that is not going to be 100% effective but it's a moot point because it is something LL will never do.

One thing I've seen people do is make the price point very low and even sometimes give the item full perms (but with conditions). That removes much of the incentive to steal the item. This method usually works best with things like building components where the buyer has to add their own content to have a finished product such as animations or sculpt maps.

I think the best way to counter theft is to impress upon people from the start that stealing content is SL is not like ripping music CDs or using cracked software. There is no big rich company or famous artist living in a mansion you're stealing from. The more personal you can make the buyer/seller relationship the less likely people will justify dishonest behavior. People will make an illegal copy of a Lady Gaga song in a heartbeat thinking "She's got enough money" whereas they wouldn't even entertain the thought of stealing from an honor system roadside fruit stand next to a farmer's field. Stealing from the rich makes you feel a little like Robin Hood. Stealing from the poor makes you feel very much like an ass (or at least it should).

1536 sqm and 650 prims for L$3500 a month? No way?
WAY! Rentals @ Corona Cay
Qie Niangao

bobsknief Orsini wrote:

Unless you've done something yourself to help bring the content rippers to justice, there's not much point (nor potency) in "hoping."  Words are cheap, and hoping even cheaper.  As Innula suggests: bring the matter to LL's attention, naming names, stating dates and times, providing any evidence you can.  Also inform the creators of the infringed content, if you can, to let them know who they need to bring DMCAs against.

Prokofy Neva
Topics: 52
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 6

>I hope you've emailed either Oz or Soft Linden with details of these  three viewers so they can investigate the matter and take appropriate  measures

*Stifles laughter.*

*Ravenglass Rentals* ~ Low-Cost Refundable Beautiful Mainland~ +Set Home to Here!+ http://bit.ly/6twVeI