You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Rock Vacirca
Topics: 3
Solutions: 0

Running SL on an Acer Aspire One

A friend of mine only has a laptop available to her, an Acer Aspire One, with  intel graphics accelerator 500, and would love to join SL.

Is it possible to run SL on this machine using the SL viewer (or any other)?

Any advice appreciated,

Rock

http://rock-vacirca.blogspot.com/
Honored Resident
Daria Afterthought

Re: Running SL on an Acer Aspire One

Reply to Rock Vacirca - view message

Its possible, but it will be shitty and laggy, but when she gets a not shitty computer (seriously, acer laptops blow in general) she will have an even greater appreciation for SL.

http://dariasafterthoughts.blogspot.com
So liek I got banned. Bummer.
Honored Resident
Alec Windlow

She can probably struggle along, as long as she's fully aware that this is hardly an ideal situation. Please be sure to point this out to her, as all the 'OMG SL HATES MY LAPTOP' threads are currently occupied.

-- Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know when Chuck Norris is going to kick your ass.
Honored Resident
Daria Afterthought

I want to be a mod so I can lock all "SL HATES MY LAPTOP" threads and change the name to "SL hates all laptops. Read the SysReqs." This has to be the only game on the planet where people bitch that its not fair that their crappy 1998 setup wont run it. I mean, even The Sims doesn't have these tards. And The Sims is as much of a "game" as SL.

Recognized Member
Veritable Quandry

Boy Lane's blog has some info on the GMA 500.  It requires installing a driver with better OpenGl support and using a pre-windlight client like Rainbow Viewer.

Awaiting moderation.
Honored Resident
Alec Windlow

Sure, but where to stop? Next you would have to think about closing the 'THE FRAMERAET ON MY MS-OFFICE-INTENDED PC IS TEH SUK' threads.

It just goes on and on.

-- Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know when Chuck Norris is going to kick your ass.
Honored Resident
Daria Afterthought

You're making it sound like I'm just going to have to rename a lot of threads to DERP

Topics: 0
Solutions: 4

there is a special edition of the rainbow viewer for netbooks,mostly optimised to run on the aspire one.

Bear in mind that it's been designed to run with most rendering features turned off or disabled and compiled for the atom processor. Also it's best run on GMA 950. Don't know about the 500.

In any case it can run between 5-15 fps depending on sim.

Not a great experience but better than an iphone or text client.

huggs

Mondy

Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Blog: Mondy Bristol
Advisor
Suella Ember

Monderas Bristol wrote:

there is a special edition of the rainbow viewer for netbooks,mostly optimised to run on the aspire one.

The problem with that is that Boy Lane (for reasons i'll never understand!) seems to find the terms of the TPV Policy unacceptable, so i assume that Rainbow viewer won't be an option after April 30th?

Topics: 0
Solutions: 4

I guess that's possible,but I'm not sure if using a client like that will mean an automatic ban. My understanding is it won't.

But it's a risk assumed by the user if they decide to run it.

huggs

Mondy

Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Blog: Mondy Bristol