You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Love Leonoase

How to know when someone's checking you out

Hi guys and gals, hope you had a decent Thanksgiving!!

Hey someone was telling me about the feature that allows you to be alerted when someone else is checking you out...  anyone know how/where I can get this?

thank you!

Sling Trebuchet

Re: How to know when someone's checking you out

Reply to Love Leonoase - view message

I always know when somebody checks me out, because they go "Wow!  Awesome!!"

However, you may have heard of an add-on for a third party viewer (TPV) that listened on a channel and informed you if someone in chat range read your Profile.  I think that is broken at this stage.

Venus Petrov
Topics: 74

What viewer do you use?

ETA:  If you use Phoenix, there is a feature under Phoenix at your top toolbar called 'Show LookAt' which will enable you to see if someone is targeting you (i.e. crosshairs on you).  However, if they have Phoenix, they may have disabled your ability to know if, indeed, they are 'checking you out'.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Everyone looks at most everyone anyway.

Message was edited by: Venus Petrov added text

=== Start and end your day with a smile ===
Rolig Loon

I may be wrong, but I think ShowLookAt is a debug setting option in most viewers. It's certainly in Imprudence. Frankly, though, that option just clutters up your screen with flying crosshairs, and it's flaky. It doesn't necessarily show that someone is looking at you -- just somewhere in your general vicinity. Personally, I couldn't care less who looks at me. I assume people look at me in RL, so why shouldn't they do it in SL?

Not as dumb as I look
Love Leonoase

I don't know much about it, but from what I've heard, you can see when people are viewing your profile, things like that...

and you're right, after trying it, I might not like it, but I wanted to try it.  :-)

Love Leonoase

Oh and I use SL2, but now trying SL2.3

Zak Westminster
Topics: 0
Solutions: 0

There is no way to tell if someone is looking at your profile - people can look at your profile ingame and also via the SL website.

That said though - why would anyone want to know if someone happens to be looking at their profile - you write them to be looked at after all.

Zak Westminster
Ancient of the Mist - Avilion
These are my own words and not those of Avilion

"Show Look At" is a setting on all the viewers but many of the TPVs take it one step further by associating an avatar name with the cross hair points, unlike the official viewers.  It's a handy feature, but sometimes it can be used in a really annoying manner for those with narcissistic tendencies.

One time I got a bunch of weird IMs from someone that insisted I was looking at her and smiling.  It took me a minute to realize I had one of those freebie smiling attachments on that made my avatar randomly smile, but she insisted that I was flirting with her and checking her out when I was camming on a product behind her avatar. Yesterday as I was doing a hunt, I was accused of being a pedo lol.  I couldn't find the hidden item so sometimes what I'll do if I'm lazy is alt cam on someone doing the hunt and let them walk around and I see if they find the hunt item.  Well I did this with an unrezzed avatar and didn't realize she was playing a child av.  I got IMs from her accusing me of being a creepy pedo because I was "stalking" her with my cam.  Uhm no.

While I can see some handy uses for it, if you do choose to enable that feature, just remember it isn't always accurate nor are the intentions of the viewer always what you may be thinking.

I like you the best but please don't tell the others.
Contributor
Cerise Sorbet

Love Leonoase wrote:

Oh and I use SL2, but now trying SL2.3

Hi, this is the feature, it is in the standard viewers. The only differernce on some third party viewers is they add names with the crosshairs. The limitations and ability to defeat it are the same. It does not tell you anything about who is looking at your profile, it was only possible to see information when people used a buggy old Emerald version.

Love Leonoase

Joshooah Lovenkraft wrote:

"Show Look At" is a setting on all the viewers but many of the TPVs take it one step further by associating an avatar name with the cross hair points, unlike the official viewers.  It's a handy feature, but sometimes it can be used in a really annoying manner for those with narcissistic tendencies.

One time I got a bunch of weird IMs from someone that insisted I was looking at her and smiling.  It took me a minute to realize I had one of those freebie smiling attachments on that made my avatar randomly smile, but she insisted that I was flirting with her and checking her out when I was camming on a product behind her avatar. Yesterday as I was doing a hunt, I was accused of being a pedo lol.  I couldn't find the hidden item so sometimes what I'll do if I'm lazy is alt cam on someone doing the hunt and let them walk around and I see if they find the hunt item.  Well I did this with an unrezzed avatar and didn't realize she was playing a child av.  I got IMs from her accusing me of being a creepy pedo because I was "stalking" her with my cam.  Uhm no.

While I can see some handy uses for it, if you do choose to enable that feature, just remember it isn't always accurate nor are the intentions of the viewer always what you may be thinking.

I definitely understand.  There are a LOT of uptight and miserable people out there, and some are just looking for someone to cross their path, to unload their misery, and they use this for that.  I've experienced this.

I'm just curious by nature, and so I wanted to try this.

I'm wondering if this feature can be used with SL2 or SL2.3?

And I'm guessing "TPV" means something like other viewers....  oh probably third party viewers!  Nevermind... but yeah, so I'd have to use a TPV then, in order to try this feature. :-(   That sucks, cause I'd rather stick with SL viewer.

thx