You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
Amiz Munro

How can you detect an alt?

I was on a sim today and some one named off my alts. Not a big deal I dont hide them but how did they do that? Why would they do it

Henry Darkthief

Re: How can you detect an alt?

Reply to Amiz Munro - view message

How? Because you don't hide them.

Why? Some misplaced sense of power, an attempt to hurt or embarrass, a vain attempt to show others how smart they are. There's more but those were the first 3 to come to mmind.

The only time rank matters is when determining the need for a shower.
Recognized Resident
Amiz Munro

but how do they know they are alts? 

Tarina Sewell

maybe they use a new fangled doodad script thingy that tracks visitors on theirs sims bans all associated alts with certian IP's? just a guess...

Let me quote Joy Behar "So what, who cares!"

I think we need more background information.  How many alts were named and do they all spend time in the same sim, etc.

*** IM blocked by sender's viewer.
Recognized Resident
Amiz Munro

I think that might be it because it named my RL sister as an alt and i log on at her house some times. I do not log on her account so it scared me that it was getting RL info as in what I put to register in SL.  I guess my RL husband is an alt too LOL

Mine are easy.if you look or care but why would you.They all belong to my group and all have my place in  pics.Simples........lol

LittleMe Jewell

To answer your question about 'how' -- if all the alts visit the same sim and play the music or media stream there, then the owner of the stream can track the IPs and sometimes associate alts that way.  Otherwise, it would be via someone telling them or just guessing based on av looks, the groups they are in, and/or the way the avs talk.

♥♥♥
-Lil
"Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art ! "
Recognized Resident
Amiz Munro

some alts go on the same sim but not at the same time. so i guess they have my IP address.

they showed me what the detector is, some thing off xstreets.

I was worried my RL info was getting out and my sisters and my husbands. I dont care about alts being known all my friends know them. My husband wasnt too happy that he is an alt of mine lol!

The most part I really didnt like the idea of them saying "Oh I didnt know "so and so" was your alt". Its not, it is my sister. I just use her computer some.

Its probably not too reliable because arent IP addresses changeable? Im trying to make myself feel better about this.

I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge on IPs will be along shortly, but it's my understanding that most ISP's assign individual IP addresses on a daily basis from a pool of IPs.  You can also force your ISP to assign you a new one in Windows but I forget how.

And as for the affirmations, it's my suggestion you don't.  Don't let them know they've succeeded, or give them any more information to corroborate their findings about you.  I know you said you don't really hide your alts but in most cases it's not a good idea to be too loose with information to those who might use it for less-than-friendly purposes.

But still, no real reason to worry; it might be a convenient excuse to go exploring and find something new anyway.  =)

*** IM blocked by sender's viewer.