You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Medhue Simoni
Topics: 87
Solutions: 11

Gmail blocks content in emails

Today, I had some1 contact me asking if I would send them a opensource program. No big deal, you can't really find this version of the program online. I've sent this program to dozens of people over the past few years. When I was asked today, I popped open my email and sent it right away. Then it came right back. So, I immediately checked the email address, and had it comfirmed again, and resent. It came back again, so, I read the failed delivery report, which lead me to the gmail page.

------------------------------------------

Some file types are blocked

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail doesn't allow you to send or receive executable files (such as files ending in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code. In addition, Gmail does not allow you to send or receive files that are corrupted.

Which file types can I not send or receive?

"ade", "adp", "bat", "chm", "cmd", "com", "cpl", "dll", "exe",
"hta", "ins", "isp", "jse", "lib", "mde", "msc", "msp",
"mst", "pif", "scr", "sct", "shb", "sys", "vb", "vbe",
"vbs", "vxd", "wsc", "wsf", "wsh"

Gmail won't accept these types of files even if they are sent in a zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz) format. If this type of message is sent to your Gmail address, it is bounced back to the sender automatically.

-----------------------------------------

Guess I'm happy I don't have an account. The person that contacted me just went and made a yahoo account and we went along with life.

Honored Resident
Ravin Draconia

Re: Gmail blocks content in emails

Reply to Medhue Simoni - view message

Dammit, I always send things zipped. I wonder if changing the extension to .zi_ would do it.

Check out my Derivative Work,
The Starship Fabrication Project: The Botany Bay Build
at
Ravin's Headspace
Medhue Simoni

Ravin Draconia wrote:

Dammit, I always send things zipped. I wonder if changing the extension to .zi_ would do it.

nope, they check everything inside also.

Honored Resident
Katarina Malthus

Use .rar . Last I checked gmail filters .zip by default as they're executables half the time under windows

::error
Topics: 0
Solutions: 4

Never noticed this before. Just did a small test, .exe in a zip and on their own are blocked.

Using Winrar,no problems at all

*huggs*

Mondy

Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Blog: Mondy Bristol
Medhue Simoni

Well that is great and all, but it seems to me that Gmail is trying to protect people from their own stupidity. I'll stick to yahoo.