You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
Silver Telling

Does Screen Resolution Affect Performance

I've been playing with my screen resolution but with the bugginess of SL from day to day I havn't been able to make a good judgement.  Will SL "run" faster overall at a lower screen resolution?  I do like that text is slightly bigger.  Easier on my eyes.   I don't have to squint as much.

"Si la esclavitud no está mal, que nada tiene de malo." Abraham Lincoln

boop-boop-be-doop
LittleMe Jewell

Re: Does Screen Resolution Affect Performance

Reply to Silver Telling - view message

Silver Telling wrote:

I've been playing with my screen resolution but with the bugginess of SL from day to day I havn't been able to make a good judgement.  Will SL "run" faster overall at a lower screen resolution?  I do like that text is slightly bigger.  Easier on my eyes.   I don't have to squint as much.

Probably so since your system will not be rendering as much detail.

♥♥♥
-Lil
"Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art ! "

Yes.

All things to excess; moderation is for monks.
Peggy Paperdoll
Solutions: 304

It will make it a little easier on your video card/adapter.  But not really that noticable I don't think.  Lower it too much and you'll get clipping at the edges and/or top and bottom.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot

I have noticed an increase in frame rate when the Viewer 2 sidebar is open, roughly proportional to the change in screen area. The various pop-up windows don't have an obvious effect. So running at lower resolution could be an advantage, like anything else that reduces image quality.

I'm not sure just where it is in Preferences, but you can change the size of text. And Windows 7, I'm told, finally gets around most of the problems of a large screen with more dots per inch than a CRT monitor.

So the short answer is yes.

Honored Resident
Daria Afterthought

Depends if windowed or full screen. In full screen, it shouldn't matter, and in fact performance is typically better. In windowed mode, I think it does, but Im not sure how.

http://dariasafterthoughts.blogspot.com
So liek I got banned. Bummer.
Honored Resident
BadWolf Bracken

More pixels on screen = more work for your graphics card so it really depends on how good your card is.

Alison Rebane
Topics: 2
Solutions: 0

Everyone who says no is just guessing and they are wrong. It will run faster, period. The lower you put the resolution, the faster it will go. The higher the resolution, the slower it will go. Discussion over. Lowering the resolution will also reduce the load on video RAM.

Poenald Palen

If you are in windowed mode (I believe this is default, you usually have to choose Full Screen mode) then you can still just scale down the window to be a bit smaller and get similar results.

But you are noticing the text! Yeah, the UI text is larger when you drop your monitors(or GPU's Pixel dimensions sent to the monitor) and if you go really low, like 640X480 (on linux. Even use failsafe and launch it from the command line, super boost in FPS!), the UI is not even usable at the defualt UI size. You to make it smaller in SL viewers preferences, under the first tab there is a slider for UI size. Moving it down (to the left) helps to reduce the size and then you might be able to get most tasks done.

If you have a slower PC you can also Disable Textures in the advanced or develop menu's...this is a little more complex though. Loading textures take some system resources and can really lag an old PC!

A signature, hhhhm what to put here. AH, I will save you from bad health! Ok...Smaller plates & bowls, drink water instead and replace some carbohydrates with veggies on your plate! OH, and stand at you PC a bit, walk and move around...even if you are thin you might need this info!
Honored Resident
Aeronya Arai

Ok assuming you are running in full screen mode then yes running in a lower resolution will typically result in better performance due to the fact that it results in a smaller area as far as your videocard is concerned that has to be frequently updated, as the individual resolutions are partly managed from the monitor side, the monitor reports to the video card about what resolutions it supports using a protocol named 'EDID', your videocard then merely has to worry about sending pixel data for a particular resolution and the monitor handles most of the rest (placement and whether to illuminate more than one pixel at a time to coincide with a particular resolution).

Think about it like looking at a picture through one of those picture frame mat's (matte's ?) that is cut from thick posterboard and typically has the edges beveled outward from the picture that is being displayed through the cutout, if you have a larger cutout (higher display resolution) then there is more information (pixels) to display, if you have a smaller cutout (lower resolution) then there is less information (pixels) to display and as indicated with certain resolutions part of the burden of displaying the correct pixels is borne by the monitor itself, so in most cases (not all admittedly, as it also depends on whether a particular resolution is being displayed using interlacing or not, interlacing is often used to display higher than native vertical resolutions, a means of tricking the eye into believing that your screen actually does support those higher vertical resolutions, when in fact what is happening is more like what happens on an old non-digital standard definition television, multiple passes are made illuminating specific 'scanlines', more detail is added by making a second quick pass and illuminating every other scanline making your eyes believe that instead of having a vertical resolution of say 240 pixels it actually seems to be displaying at a resolution of say 360 pixels or scanlines in this case) a lower full screen resolution will result in your videocard not having to work as hard and should increase framerates as a result (unless your system is being unduly burdened by additional factors like low memory or overheating  for example of course).

Mind you that the above information is most applicable to modern LCD displays but some of it does apply to CRT monitors as well.  Additionally I don't claim to know everything about how a monitor works, I'm just attempting to relate what I have learned about how they work from an attempt of mine to find out how to write a small program that would be able to put my monitor only (not my entire system) into powersaving (standby) mode with the press of a key (since I use WinLIRC with a homemade IR receiver to watch DVD's and other video formats on my PC), I wanted to write a program that would effectively let me turn my monitor off using a command from my remote control that would then be interpreted by WinLIRC and intercepted by a program 'listening' for a specific command.

Of course the interface your monitor is using could also play a role in framerates, while I don't have a specific table full of results to point you to, I did conduct a test a couple years ago using a videocard that supported DVI output as well as standard VGA output and a monitor that supported HDMI input as well as standard VGA input and a cable purchased at a local electronics store that featured an HDMI connector on one end and a DVI connector on the other end , in short using the VGA port produced higher framerates for the same resolutions.  I don't know why this was the case however, it could well be that it was due to a problem with the monitors support for HDMI input as it was relatively early on in the support phase for the HDMI format.