You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.

Dealing with unstable people?

I've sometimes used the quote "we don't see the world as it is, we see the world as we are", and in this situation I believe it's relevant once more.

One of the traps we might fall into is assuming people we interact with are much like us; stable, reasonable and somewhat "normal".  In real life, when you interact with someone who doesn't seem quite right in the head it's easy enough to gently increase your personal space and get away.  In SL it's more or less the same with the added mute and TP as an escape.

But I have to ask; in those cases in which you seem to be stuck with people like this, with no easy escape... what's the best way to deal with them?

Ignoring them only goes so far when falsified/sock puppet Abuse Reports come into play.  There are dozens of unfairly targeted and harassed business owners who understand this point all too well.

*** IM blocked by sender's viewer.
Honored Resident
Madelaine Marbach

Re: Dealing with unstable people?

Reply to Janelle Darkstone - view message

I'm glad you see that ignoring me is futile.

Honored Resident
tristan Eliot

I am not sure if you are referring to SL or RL.  You can't be  stuck  with someone in SL.

The best way to deal with the crazies is to simply not deal with them.  Your reactions are what gets them off and when they do not get any they move on to find another victim who will hopefully fulfill their sociopathic appetites.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." ~ Albert Einstein

Madelaine Marbach wrote:

I'm glad you see that ignoring me is futile.

Not to say I didn't try, Maddy.  The "ignore" button wouldn't work -- it asked me "You are attempting to ignore Madelaine Marbach, are you sure?  (yes)  (no)", and I clicked yes.

Then it asked "Are you really sure?"  and I clicked yes.

Then it said "...Pfft, I don't believe you" and then it locked me out.

tristan.Eliot wrote:

The best way to deal with the crazies is to simply not deal with them.  Your reactions are what gets them off and when they do not get any they move on to find another victim who will hopefully fulfill their sociopathic appetites.

Perhaps, but if you own a SL business and one mentally unstable person seems bent on disrupting everything, the rules change and it's not so easy to ignore them.

(not saying this is always the case but it's in the same ballpark)

Honored Resident
Madelaine Marbach

You'd think that AR fetishists would out themselves to LL pretty quickly. Businesses might have more trouble because money changes hands. It's amazing how that energizes things. Returning the money often diffuses the situation. Beyond that, we're prolly at the mercy of LL's own ability to know a loon when they see one.

Madelaine Marbach wrote:

Beyond that, we're prolly at the mercy of LL's own ability to know a loon when they see one.

...and LL is probably desperate to keep as many live customers as possible so we're probably screwed there.

So the question remains: if you can't ignore them, and they don't go away after their refund, how would you deal with them?

Advisor
Ishtara Rothschild

If people harrass you, AR them. And, like Tristan said, don't reply or react to them in any other way (except for ejecting and banning them as needed). It also can't hurt to open a support ticket if somebody threatens you.

I've had problems with somebody who bought my XStreet items only to write negative reviews, as revenge for a well-deserved review that I wrote about one of his products. He threatened to continue with the 1 star ratings unless I'd change my review. After I filed a ticket, the negative reviews were removed, and I was also advised to file ARs about all inworld threats and harrassment. It seems that LL is very aware of such problems and try their best to deal with them.

Thank you, Ishy... and honestly, it's encouraging to hear that in your case the system worked as it was supposed to.  How long ago was all this, and has it seemed like he's stayed away?

I suppose in my case it's trying to deal with problems one-on-one and not involve "the authorities", as it were.  Maybe it's time for me to stop thinking like that?

Raudf Fox
Topics: 0
Solutions: 1

From a business owner standpoint, it actually depends on the level of loon we're talking about.

If I'm out and about on other people's lands, I simply TP home or to another place, if they are bothering me in a non-horn-dogging way.  If it's the "u sexor?" type of loon, I drag and drop my dragon onto my avatar.  Apparently, were-dragons tend to scare the boner out of that type of ilk.

If it's my own land?  Hmm... again depends on the type of loon.  The non-violent, just need to talk your ears off type tends to just get the "Uh-huh, Nu-uh" treatment.  The less friendly types who could possibly disrupt shopping or socializing?  Ooh, those I have fun with.  I have so many choices, like setting the land to damage, creating a giant explosion that sends them home.  Or, if I really want to humiliate them, freeze them, and dress them up in pretty prim dresses or horribly mismatched things.  Those also earn a ban from the parcel.

Muting tends to be for those who scream and shout profanities, pregnancy bellies and other assorted talking prims that are so very annoying.

Victorian elegance in clothing, visit DiamonX Studios!