You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
Amouranta Ronin

Collars and Missing Owners

I own a Dominatech iControl collar. The collar has a setting called "hardcore ownership" in which the owner of the sub/slave is the only one with access to the ownership mode. The owner can sell/trade/give ownership of the sub/slave to any other person or group without the wearer's permission. In my case, the owner has not logged into SL for several months. There is no backdoor way of releasing ownership that I know of. Unlike other collars, there is no reset or runaway function on this collar.There are several groups within SL that are dealing with this same issue with this particular collar. As far as anyone can tell, the original creator of this collar has not logged into SL for some time. We can't tell where or if the creator provides any technical support for this collar.

This collar is not entirely useless, it can be accessed to a certain degree by other persons. The fact remains that full functionality of this collar is not available to me or anyone else because of shortsightedness on the part of the creator. Does anyone know of a way to erase or reset the current owner? I am aware that I can remove the collar, and I have done so. But I still would like to be able to use this collar. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there some other more appropriate place to post this question?

Edited to add the following:  I have also tried to purchase a new collar. The new collar was also automatically set to the old owner, straight out of the box.

Ceera Murakami
Topics: 9
Solutions: 122

Re: Collars and Missing Owners

Reply to Amouranta Ronin - view message

Virtually all the other collars on the market offer a way to reset them, in case the owner is unavailable or leaves SL. Just go buy a new collar. They aren't that expensive. You could even get another of the exact same brand, assuming it is still sold, and the status from the old collar shouldn't carry over to the new one.

Recognized Resident
Amouranta Ronin

The collar is still sold, I did get a new one, and it was automatically set to the old owner when I unpacked it. In one of the groups I'm in we've got about a dozen people trying to figure out how to reset the ownership on the collars, and it can't be done as far as we can see. We have a reset script that activates the collar, but it doesn't reset the ownership.

Ceka Cianci

Amouranta Ronin wrote:

The collar is still sold, I did get a new one, and it was automatically set to the old owner when I unpacked it. In one of the groups I'm in we've got about a dozen people trying to figure out how to reset the ownership on the collars, and it can't be done as far as we can see. We have a reset script that activates the collar, but it doesn't reset the ownership.

is there some sort of database to this collar?something web based maybe?it's odd that a new collar would have you with the same owner again..did you detch everything from yourself  before trying the new collar as well? relays or whatever?

maybe try leaving the group and open it and then join it again?just guessing..but if it is web based database and both of them are not around ..you may be stuck that way with that collar..

i'm no expert on collars..but it sure sounds like both your name and your masters are logged someplace..

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds".

"A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing".”*winks*
My Flickr
Ceera Murakami
Topics: 9
Solutions: 122

Sounds like the script in the collar must connect to a database of existing registered owner/sub pairs, then. If so, your only reasonable recourse is to switch brands and get a collar that doesn't do that.

Larryk Dagger
Topics: 0
Solutions: 2

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Amouranta Ronin wrote:

is there some sort of database to this collar?something web based maybe?it's odd that a new collar would have you with the same owner again..did you detch everything from yourself  before trying the new collar as well? relays or whatever?

maybe try leaving the group and open it and then join it again?just guessing..but if it is web based database and both of them are not around ..you may be stuck that way with that collar..

i'm no expert on collars..but it sure sounds like both your name and your masters are logged someplace..

It's not so odd.. OpenCollar has a similar script that sets a new collar to the same settings as the old collar had.. But at least OpenCollar has a Runaway function built in.

Honored Resident
JennAnn Dubrovna

It sounds as if there is no reliable support for the collar anymore. No matter the reason, it may be time to go with a different system. However, on the off chance that the creator may return, you may want to send them a notecard with your description of the problem. It's a pretty safe bet their messages have been capped. At least they will get the card.

If they have a free account, they may have logged off OL (oxygenated life) and become permanently ghosted. Or they may have given up on the whole SL scene with that account. If so, the account will be around for a long time with no logon activity.

Good luck,

Jenny

Jaen Albatros

You could get an OpenCollar; as someone pointed out, it does have the runaway function, so as soon as it resets itself to your old owner, (yes, it's a database thing)...use the runaway thing ang and there you go! The OpenCollar is fast becoming very popular, as it is free, comes in lots of different styles and has some good features.

'All we are saying is give peace a chance.' John Lennon.

Recognized Resident
Amouranta Ronin

I have other collars, but only this collar has certain functions. This collar is also the basis for a group in sl. Several people in the group are having this exact same problem, and we are all working together to solve it. I posted this here in the hopes of getting some other solutions we could try. So, besides buying a new collar, or switching to another brand, does anyone have any actual suggestions on how to reset the collar?

Darkie Minotaur
Topics: 8
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 51

The collar certainly uses an outworld database. if it doesn't offer a runaway function, the only way to reset the current collar is to have someone that has access to this database reset it (most likely manually). I'm not sure if I should call such a design stupid on the creator's side (taking into account the high probability of a person leaving SL) or just tough luck on the buyer's side - in the end it was you that chose to switch on the 'hardcore' mode.

What you deffo shouldn't do, is getting a new collar from the same creator - it is very likely that the records in the database are related to your ava's UUID - as far as I know, OC e.g. is. With this hardcore mode, anything else wouldn't make sense.