You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
Becca Vichan

Clearing your Cache

Clearing your cache is probably the most recommended of cures to the various ills of Second Life.  For the most part I seem to have a pretty healthy SL, so I have rarely found there is a need to do this, and really cannot say if any improvement has occurred when I have done so. 

On a number of occasions I have seen it suggested that there are two ways of clearing your cache, one being to select it through the "Clear Cache" option in the Edit Preferences panel, and the other being "the only right way" to do it by dragging it to the trash. 

Well, I have only ever done it through the Preferences panel, and would like to try it the "right" way but do not quite understand where I am to find the cache in order to drag it to the trash in this manner.  It is obviously one of those things that is so well known by computer whiz bangs, that I do not know it, a common matter for me I am quite ready to admit.

For what it may be worth to some good samaritan to know in order to offer me help with this, I am using an iMac.

I am sure I will receive plenty of advice on this matter, both friendly and otherwise, but I am willing to risk asking anyway.

Thanks to the friendly ones here.

Becca

Void Singer
Solutions: 64

Re: Clearing your Cache

Reply to Becca Vichan - view message

the cache folder is located at the address next to the clear cache button...

however you may be thinking of the user settings directory, which is separate, and is recommended to be cleared it you need to reinstall... this link will help you find that

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Dark Larkspur
Topics: 0
Solutions: 2

I have found Void to be very technically competent and would follow that advice. I also seem to almost never need to clear cache. However; as I understand it, there is Visible cache and Inventory cache. I think the inventory cache location is indicated in your preferences panel on a page related to your Network Settings. I clear visible cache while I am "In-World" using a "Scripted Object" which you sit on and it does strange stuff to you and sometimes you see things properly afterwards. Perhaps Void will expand on my belief that there is more than one form of cache to clear depending on your problems.

Honored Resident
Becca Vichan

Interesting and helpful responses from both of you so far, Void and Dark.  To both of you, I continue to learn.  I have managed to follow the path to find the cache outside of the Viewers themselves - it seems that Imprudence has its own named cache folder in the caches library, whereas Phoenix is located in a folder under the name Second Life, from which one would manually delete each item in these folders as per the instructions in the Wiki "Clearing the Cache" which you referred me to.  Haven't tried doing this yet, as I really am not having any problems that prompt me to do so, and I don't want to do anything I will regret later. 

Also under the "Clearing the Cache" Wiki there is a reference to Viewer 2 to use the "Reset" button under "Preferences," and this also seems to be available with Imprudence and Phoenix preferences together with a "Set" button.  Do either of you know what these two buttons do?  They seem to be something beyond just the "Clear Cache" button in each viewer. 

Ah, the many mysteries of SL. One never needs to lack for something further to study, that is for sure.  It is one of the things I like about it. I wonder if anyone really has a grip on the entire picture that is SL? 

I look forward to more on this topic, and possibly from others?  So far, it is entirely a friendly thread, so one is left hoping for more.

Thanks for the offerings, Void and Dark.

Becca

Dark Larkspur
Topics: 0
Solutions: 2

The "Set" button allows you to create a specific folder for "that cache" anywhere you want - which is one suggestion for people who use different viewers. (Like one viewer for building and another for playing around) . And the "Reset" button will set the location back to the "Default Location" that the viewer originally installed with.

Honored Resident
Becca Vichan

Thanks for clarification on this one, Dark.  Now I understand even more.

Becca

Ceka Cianci

it used to be that viewers were not stand alone viewers and all used the second life cache..but now most all are stand alone..

before you had to actually go in and make your own cache folder for each..this way you didn't have conflicts and a cache that would hinder one that was set up differently..

as you see the phoenix one using the second life cache and imprudence using it's own..

there are conflicts with a V2 viewer and a v1 viewer on the same cache..like you may not be able to see your clothes change or certain things rezz..

now also with phoenix the way it is now it may need to use the same cache as the v2 viewer to keep the same outfits and avatar changes made when going back and forth in those two..i'm not certain on that..

but i know there isn't the problems with  puting something on in say phoenix and it not showing up in the v2 viewer..

that may be just a link to both caches..

i haven't used phoenix in a couple versions so i can't really say how it works..

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds".

"A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing".”*winks*
My Flickr
Void Singer
Solutions: 64

the "visual cache" that dark is refering to is actually "things in draw distance"... and the object that is described shoots your avatars camera out of draw distance (or tries to anyways, some of us have crazy large draw distance), which can sometimes force the viewer to redraw the scene if the video cards memory gets futzed, or in some instances it will re-request the textures from the region (usually only if you have a small disk cahce)

v1 and v2 viewers use a different cache version, and v2 actually does some hacky things with your worn outfit... despite the fact that you can end up with different outfits being worn if you use separate cache file locations for different viewers, I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone using more than one viewer.... it lowers the likelyhood of cache corruption, and prevents change in the content or structure of one from affecting the other... it's probably one of the most frequent sources of problems in SL for people that do use more than one viewer.

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Vania Chaplin
Topics: 6
Solutions: 9

As many have said, there is not a "right way" to clear cache.

I made in my desktop a folder called "Cache", and a subfolder for each viewer (V2, Phoenix, Imprudence). When I need to clear cache, what is rare now (it was much more common in my old laptop), I simply delete this folder (clearing the cache for all viewers at once). The viewer will recreate it during login.

Sirius Selona

Becca, there is no right or wrong way to clear cache. I think perhaps someone has caused you to be confused between (a) clearing cache by clicking the button in the Preferences/Network tab panel within your SL viewer with (b) manually clearing your cache by deleting the files and folders on your computer outside of the viewer.

I don't know about the 2.x series viewers, but in all viewers based on 1.23, you don't need to log into SL in order to clear your cache. You can start the viewer, but before logging in, look up at the top left of your screen to the menu. Click Edit, then Preferences, then the Network tab. You will see 'Disk Cache Location.' This is the location on your computer where your cache files are stored. You have the choice of just clicking the clear cache button there on that panel, then shutting down the viewer, restarting it, then logging on, or tracing that cache location path and manually deleting all the files and folders within the cache folder. Don't delete the cache folder itself.

As to whether or not to clear cache, if your compter has sufficient memory and disk space, you don't need to clear cache often. I believe recommendations to clear it are way over done, and are a result of Linden Lab putting way too much of the technical burden for decent SL performance on their users. In reality, users have only marginal control over most things that impact their SL experience unless they can upgrade their computers and/or ISP connections.

The main reason for clearing cache is to eliminate potentially corrupted files and start fresh. Cache can be corrupted easily. Some examples: If a person uses more than one viewer, yet does not set up a separate cache folder/location for each viewer, the different viewers potentially can create conflicting files in the cache, or overwrite files that are used somewhat differently in each viewer. If a person experiences crashes often (most commonly due to wireless connections), files can be corrupted because the viewer has not shut down properly.

If you do not experience problems often, if at all, there is no need to frequently clear cache. On the other hand, if you find that some of your inventory appears to be missing, or textures seem to load unusually slowly, or you start crashing when you hadn't before, then clear cache as your first step in diagnosing the problem.