You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
Alley McNally

Best Furry Avatars

I am currently looking for a new fur avatar. I have had many in the past, including ones from NWS and Lost Forrest, along with a few others. For the most part, I am not very happy with the avatars that I find. It takes me a long time to find a new one that works for me. And I have been burned a few times with a avatar that looks great in the vender, but is terrible once you put it on. Now that I am looking again, I having a major issue: I HATE EVERYTHING!!!!

LOL, well most of everything. But it is astounding how much crap there is out there. Even if your avatar is cheap, I don't want it if I hate it. So, I have turned to my friends for help. I have gotten some suggestions like Curious (Which I like minus the eyes) and a couple others. However, so far, I have found nothing that screams buy me!

What I figure is that there are many more people who are in the same boat as me. Who are overwhelmed with the choices and can't seem to find that good avatar. People who are just as lost as me.

So, I'd like to ask the community to suggest places to shop. What avatars have you bought recently that you love? (Maybe even why?) Where are they? Also, what avatars have you purchased recently that you hate? (Why too plz) You don't have to answer all of these, but even if you answer a couple it will help!

Let's keep this going for as long as we can, since avatars change so frequently!

Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 70
Solutions: 3

Re: Best Furry Avatars

Reply to Alley McNally - view message

Start here:

http://www.slarf.org/

Read the reviews. That's an independant furry avatar review site. They don't make them, they just dissect them. About 100 reviews there, in a lot of detail.

IM me inworld if you need any help picking one. I've bought a few furry avatars recently. Got a Serval, Fox, Dragon, Corvid, and Ram. I'd have a Bunny / Lapine too, but have yet to find a black one that looks dark enough for the effect I desire - but for any other color, if I could do it, I've found several that are amazingly well done.

Self interest & greed are the roots of evil.
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination. - Lutan Fyah
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Void Singer
Solutions: 64

that's a great site PC, many thanks for posting that... I see they've reviewed more than a few that I have and was considering already =)

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 70
Solutions: 3

I've grown very fond of the site and very envious of whoever's on their reviewing staff and gets to try out all those different avatars.

I do wish they would hurry up and put up more reviews, especially of designers not yet yet reviewed at all. But hey, the number of reviews they have at present is simply amazing and really helped me a lot when I was looking for my first furry.

Furry avatars are amazingly pricey, compared to what I normally buy (other than land that is). So when I went furry, I faced an extreme case of sticker shock that caused me to delay for a while, and that website helped me learn enough to know what to look for, even in furry avatars not reviewed there, before making a purchase.

Self interest & greed are the roots of evil.
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination. - Lutan Fyah
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Void Singer
Solutions: 64

I saw two creators of av's I rather like in there straight off... at what I consider decent prices... Luskwoods avatars run around 900$L last I looked (I actually prefer the old model to the new), which is cheaper than most decent skins, and Eclectic Randomness robot avs (not furry, but damn good, I have the female version of the one reviewed) only runs 750$L. both are +copy+mod

but for me, anything 2k$L or less and has good permissions is a bargain (at least compared to what you pay for a skin these days)

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Honored Resident
Koriani Ixchel

Ooh good site, I never knew about that one..

For a great location that has nothing *but* furry avatar companies (almost exclusively) visit the "Rocket City Fur" sim.  Its a recreation of an inworld-Fur Convention and their shopping mall area has almost every single furry avatar vendor in SL (in fact I've yet to find a furry avatar maker that isn't in that room).

As for "Best" well that really comes down to personal preference and what animal you're looking for (2 or four legged..).  Some animals - like wolves/foxes/cats are very common and you have dozens, sometimes hundreds of looks, to choose from.  Others like horses there aren't as many (I can think of two bipedal horse avatars makers in SL, so there might be a total of four...heh). 4 legged dinos and bears are few, but of dragons there are slightly more (and two legged dragons are almost as numerous as cats and wolves).  Going for half/half - very few (centaurs, etc.)  Do you want to wear clothing/hair or do you care?

Do you prefer the "cutesy" look, what I call "puffy" or others may call "chibi" or something like that - I really don't.  You'll find most of the furry avatars fall into this category (at least to me they do).  It took me over TWO YEARS of searching and waiting looking for an avatar I was actually inclinded to purchase (finally found them, thank you KZK dragons!) to get away from the "cutsey" "fuzzy" dragon look for my own.  And since I only found 2-3 bipedal horse avatars, I'm still not totally happy with the one I got - I'd prefer a reskin but can't really afford it. - heh.

"Best furry" is really all about what you're looking for in the "look" of the design.  I know people who go gaga for avatars I find *meh* becacuse they are cute and fluffy looking.  I didn't want "cute" for my dragon, I wanted a more realistic look - hence why it took me two years and someone finally building a non-fluffy dragon for me to find one.

Keep in mind that for the top quality AVs I've seen top prices.  I paid 1500-2K for my bipedal dragon that isn't fluffy looking, and it was worth it since I thought I'd have to give up the idea of not looking cutesey and I can't build.  It was also important for me ot be able to wear at least some clothing and hair when I felt like it - which limited me away from the full-digigrade-prim types.

Your standard 7-800 avatar in furry land to me all pretty much look about the same, "cutesey" "fluffy" types.  The more "realistic" ones are gonna cost more.  The full digigrade-non-clothing-weraing ones of course also going to cost more.

However, the sim I listed above has them ALL.  I found it was best to narrow down my choices to ones I "thought" I'd be hapy with and then either poke around among the fur sims for people who had an example of the avatar for me to actually see and ask about - or to NC the creators to ask about wether they could wear clothing etc.  You'll find many furries have tons of avatars, even species not "their own", and would be willing to show you what they have to determine if its really what you like (cuz you're right, the vendor picture and actual avatar can look very very different ..2d vs. 3d I guess, along with photoshop...).  Check in whatever furgroups you're active in or something, most I've fouind are very friendly and willing to help.

Isle of Wyrms is a great one for dragons and is pretty active, Rocket City Furs is great for all furries and is pretty active with their events.  Rainbow Fur is the "classic" in SL I guess but usually when I wander their sim I find it pretty dead with noone at the club heh.

You can always frien dme - I'm always up for friending friendly people/furs - but I can't give much advice on what avatars look like because until I found my perfect one I didn't buy any of them - so I have no collection.  Just two bipedal dragons, two 4legged dragons, and a horse .

Topics: 4

If you are looking for chibi (small/cute) furs I recommend little furs, many of them come with cute bows and they come in male and female versions for all common races.

They are not designed as cubs but offcourse you can use a child shape and have a cub.

I have seen little furs vendors at rocket city and northern star

*mew*
Topics: 0
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 1

I looked at the thread title and thought it was up there with "Tallest Dwarves" . . .

Pep ( . . . or "Funniest Accountants" perhaps?)

http://pserendipitydaniels.blogspot.com if you are really bored and want unreliable gossip
Lia Abbot
Topics: 0

'Most comprehensible Welshmen'?

(Was in Llandudno last week. Lovely!)

I have found that my opinion carries more weight when delivered like little mints on pillows than as a note wrapped around a brick and tossed through your bedroom window.
(Wise words from Maddy)
Recognized Resident
Alley McNally

I love the site you suggested! I checked it out and a found something for myself. However, I did notice it is not comprehensive. Which is fine, but I am sure that there are other great selections out there. Particularly for those who's tastes do not match what is on that site.

So, I'd like to keep this question open for you guys as well as myself. Because what I found - I like, but I would like to maybe get a new head or something - or get another just to have fun!

As I said before, the world of furry avatars is always changing with new venders coming in and old ones leaving. Why not keep this active? Also, if you are a vender and you think your avatar rocks, tell us why! (Show us pictures too?) Who knows we may buy your avatar!