You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
Negotium Quan

Are you paying too much tier for your mainland?

I've been in SL almost for 2 and a half years now and it was only till recently I found out something that would have saved me some L$ in the past. Instead of paying tier directly to LL you can rent tier from people or groups that rent out tier. The going rate is usually 1L$ sqm / month. So the less land you own the more sense it makes.

It's different from renting land since you decide what plot(s) to buy and all they do is join your group and donate the tier you need. It's safe to as long as you set the abilities for their group role right. For the 3000sqm land I own I would have pay LL 25USD a month plus fees for a premium account, now I pay less than 3000L$ a month.

Plus because of the pricing system you dont bump up your tier to the next level when you go over a certain amount of land, the price just stays 1L$ per sqm per month. So you are a lot more flexibel too in your land holdings.

Just want to be clear that I dont rent out tier but I wanted to share with you since I'm pretty certain a lot of you didnt know there are groups out there that rent out tier. It might be something for you as long as you own less than 55K sqm of mainland.

Suspiria Finucane
Topics: 58

Re: Are you paying too much tier for your mainland?

Reply to Negotium Quan - view message

I prefer private estates. I don't go near mainland unless someone tp's me there unknowingly. I've heard it's cheaper though...

An icon does not equate to intelligence..

Suspiria
Lynda Klossovsky

Back in 2008 when I was "learning" SL, I made a few social blunders i have to admit, thru inexperience i guess, but i didnt mind paying tier and  going rate for a bit of virtual "land", and it wasnt the cheapest bit I could find..then land prices on mainland got decimated, but the tier remained the same, thats when I left basically, but I am waiting for a final viewer 2, whenever 1.23 no longer connects, and then I might try again..But yes, I think mainland tier could reflect the drop in price of the mainland that occurred 2 years ago. (but thats up to LL) and no, I am really not interested in buying an island, thank you..

Sole Demina

I suppose it all comes down to what use you plan to make of your land, whether it's commercial and with a high traffic and prim-requirement or private with low traffic. As far as I'm concerned, I'm quite happy with the homestead islands I have for my private use (one is a half-sim and the other a quarter-sim). I spend around 30.000 L per month for tier. True, I don't have a very high allowance of prims. But the challenge can be fun: I'm always looking for ways or means to "spare" prims and ultimately this should make a lot of shop-owners or designers happy as I buy high-performance/low-prim items (furniture, trees, flowers, etc) as soon as they are released and that means updatings as well.

Proud Redhead
Advisor
Ishtara Rothschild

The more land you own, the lower are the tier costs per square meter. People who own an entire sim get the best deal, which allows them to "sell" land cheaper than Linden Lab does. The only risk is that private land owners might be less reliable than LL. They can theoretically claim the land back at any time, without refunding you. And if they don't pay their tier for whatever reason (financial problems, extended hospital stays etc.), the sim falls back to LL and you lose your land in the process. Of course LL might go bankrupt as well at some point in the future, which means that land "ownership" is always a gamble.

Honored Resident
Rhiannon Wildmist

Monthly maintenance charges for mainland have always been far too high and should be half of what they are. Especially as us outside in Europe are paying V.A.T. ON TOP of what anyone in the USA pays. I have 16000m which I use for commercial and residential. I would buy more but do not want to pay the hike in monthly charges thank you !

That is why you are seeing vast areas of abandoned mainland.

Drop the charges LL, before you kill your own economy.

But they will not listen, sigh.

Rhia

Rhia's Creations: Low Prim Furniture, Shopping Mall, Art Gallery and Rhia's Real Estate (Skybox Rental) ~ Putting Your Home First in Your Second Life ~
Norsk Himmel

Rhiannon Wildmist wrote:

Monthly maintenance charges for mainland have always been far too high and should be half of what they are. Especially as us outside in Europe are paying V.A.T. ON TOP of what anyone in the USA pays. I have 16000m which I use for commercial and residential. I would buy more but do not want to pay the hike in monthly charges thank you !

That is why you are seeing vast areas of abandoned mainland.

Drop the charges LL, before you kill your own economy.

But they will not listen, sigh.

Rhia

Not ALL of Europe pays VAT

/me wiggles non-EU tongue out

:-D

Honored Resident
Negotium Quan

Thats exactly why you could rent tier instead. You would only pay the (amount of sqm) x 1 L$ per month. There are several groups offering this service. Will safe you loads of money or allow you to hold more land.