You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
New Resident
Alania Dawes

Am I being watched?

Is it possible to see where another avatar's camera is focused? For example if I felt I was being watched, excessively, is there a hud / spy radar whatever to demonstrate this?

Meade Paravane

Re: Am I being watched?

Reply to Alania Dawes - view message

The Emerald Viewer has the same feature, with the addition that each cam focus is identified by the name of the avatar.

Just a note that it shows the spot that you alt-click (or whatever) at, not what's actually in view. If you focus your camera on an object then zoom out and around and over, it will show that you're looking at the object, regardless of if you can even see the object any more.

Topics: 17
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 0

Alania.Dawes wrote:

Is it possible to see where another avatar's camera is focused? For example if I felt I was being watched, excessively, is there a hud / spy radar whatever to demonstrate this?

Yes, but the amount of info available will depend on the viewer you are using.

In the standard viewer, you can show where avatars' cams are focussed using "Show Look At" in the advanced menu.  However, this will not identify who is camming on you.  There is a tutorial here:

http://vodpod.com/watch/938115-see-whos-looking-at-you-with-show-look-at

The Emerald Viewer has the same feature, with the addition that each cam focus is identified by the name of the avatar.

ETA:  If you think you are being stalked or harassed, you might consider looking at this:

http://feministos.wetpaint.com/page/Dealing+with+Harassment

There are other pages there on SL Safety, with links to other sources as well.

Need help? Visit the Domestic Abuse and Rape Crisis Resource Centre at Four Bridges.

Meade.Paravane wrote:

Just a note that it shows the spot that you alt-click (or whatever) at, not what's actually in view. If you focus your camera on an object then zoom out and around and over, it will show that you're looking at the object, regardless of if you can even see the object any more.

Yes, this is a good point.

Need help? Visit the Domestic Abuse and Rape Crisis Resource Centre at Four Bridges.
Topics: 1

Emerald shows you where the mouse is pointed I think. I didn't make deep testing of this feature though.

Make scripts, send message to residents while offline, search by interests; http://sltwisteddetails.com
Honored Resident
Shivany Lane

Yes all that others replied.  In Emerald you can also choose an avatar and teleport to them.  Really scares your stalker!

Lindal Kidd

Alania,

To add to what the others have said...in most cases, you probably shouldn't be concerned about being "watched".  Most people cam around and look at other people, and other parts of the world around them.  It doesn't mean they are prying, or watching YOU in particular.

Now of course, if you are getting it on in your home with your partner or friend, and suddenly you notice that there's an avatar outside your home, and his camera focus shows up on you...well, he's probably a voyeur.  Even then, though, you don't need to get flustered.  Remember that the most intimate parts of initimate moments take place in IM...which is completely private (well, unless some chinless, drooling Linden is reading your IM log...)

Yes, there ARE great Mainland rentals...in Masocado, baby!
Read my blog! Across the Grid With Lindal Kidd
New Resident
Alania Dawes

Thank you all so much! I have installed the Emerald Viewer and feel much more 'in control' of events now

Thank You

Lindal.Kidd wrote:

. . . unless some chinless, drooling Linden is reading your IM log . . .

EEK!! 

/me waves to Lindal!

I think it's true that merely being "looked at" is pretty meaningless, most of the time . . . although the OP does say "excessively."  Personally, I wouldn't worry about even that overmuch, unless there was some indication that the person in question was someone who was gathering information or ammunition about me.  I've known of stalkers who were former lovers, and who have used cam stalking to try to find out if there ex was seeing someone else. That sort of information is a pretty clear violation of privacy, and can make life very unpleasant if the stalker is also a psycho who is harassing you in IM, or publishing pictures and chat in an attempt to defame you to your friends, groups, etc.

Topics: 0
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 1

Scylla.Rhiadra wrote:

Lindal.Kidd wrote:

. . . unless some chinless, drooling Linden is reading your IM log . . .

EEK!! 

/me waves to Lindal!

I think it's true that merely being "looked at" is pretty meaningless, most of the time . . . although the OP does say "excessively."  Personally, I wouldn't worry about even that overmuch, unless there was some indication that the person in question was someone who was gathering information or ammunition about me.  I've known of stalkers who were former lovers, and who have used cam stalking to try to find out if there ex was seeing someone else. That sort of information is a pretty clear violation of privacy, and can make life very unpleasant if the stalker is also a psycho who is harassing you in IM, or publishing pictures and chat in an attempt to defame you to your friends, groups, etc.

Can you tell who is reading your posts here . . ?

Pep (There is no "invisible mode" as there was in the old forums - bring it back I say!)

http://pserendipitydaniels.blogspot.com if you are really bored and want unreliable gossip