You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
Fiona Eyre

A Question About Using Mute

I've always heard if anyone is being a jerk in IM or for whatever reason one doesn't wish to hear any continued conversation from someone to mute them.  Fortunately I don't have to resort to that often.  However, I had someone on my mute list and today received an IM to email from them!  I was POSITIVE I had this person muted, so I went into world (the person in question and I both use Phoenix) and sure enough, the person was not on my mute list.  I remuted them, then responded to the IM and got a message since I IM'd them the mute was off.  *scratches head*

Ok, still weird - I can "sort of" see IMing a muted person taking them off my list;  the viewer is thinking "Ok, she wants to talk to this person...mute off," but I still don't see how that works in reverse.  The other thing is that the person I had muted was using something like SLim so not sure if that made a difference.

I consulted a friend of mine who is beta testing the Phoenix Firestorm viewer and knows a bit about viewers.  She said that if a muted person was in the same group as the "muter" and there was group chat, even if neither party participated in the chat, that it took mute off!!  If that's the case then the mute function is basically now useless.  If someone figured they were muted, all they would have to do is join a group the muter is in to break the mute.

Does anyone know if this has this always been the case with viewers, is something new with 3rd party viewers, particularly Phoenix, did being IM'd via SLim make a difference, and is muting people now useless?

Color me confused.

Venus Petrov
Topics: 74

Re: A Question About Using Mute

Reply to Fiona Eyre - view message

I know that IMing someone you have muted will un-mute them.  I had not heard about the group thing however it does kind of make sense.  You both are in the same group.  You participate in a group chat and the muted person sees it...voila, they are un-muted.

Granted this can seem problematic but you could just review the groups you participate in for the muted person's name and decide if you really need to belong to that group. You can also hide your groups in your profile so the muted person cannot attempt to join a group to which you are a member.

=== Start and end your day with a smile ===
Honored Resident
Fiona Eyre

Hi Venus...thank you for responding.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I had not heard about the group thing however it does kind of make sense.  You both are in the same group.  You participate in a group chat and the muted person sees it...voila, they are un-muted.

Your idea makes sense, which is what I thought as well. Still weird but does make sense in its own way; however, here is the tricky part:  I have most of my group chats disabled.  The one that is not and to which we both belong I never chat in.  I hadn't been online in quite awhile until yesterday and a chat from that group did appear, but I did not participate in it and the muted person wasn't online at the time.  I honestly don't understand how a group chat that we are both in but in which we don't chat unmutes the other.

I'm still thinking it might have been the other person using the SLim type software may have a different protocol but I am certainly open to more ideas.  It's not a huge issue for me, I just find it odd that a feature of SL that has been touted as a way to just ignore irritating people (like at sandboxes and such) can so easily be overriden.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Void Singer
Solutions: 64

that is problematic.... I don't think that any viewer should be auto unmuting anyone.... and i've no clue if it's specific to any one viewer...

there may be a work around to mute them in the group chat... presumably talking in the group after that shouldn't unmute them... if it does that's a bug that should be reported.

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Norsk Himmel

I know if you IM someone you have previously muted, you have a warning along the lines of 'IMing this person will remove them from your mute list'.

However, when I've been in a Group Chat IM of which the person was also a participant (them being a prat in the GC was why I muted them!!) I just never saw their Group Chat IMs. Which was what I wanted. It seems a bit of a 'glitch' if GCs now automatically unmute someone...?

Once upon a time, a long time ago, you could IM people on your mute list but any replies from them to you were never seen.  Besides the obvious drama use where you could mute someone and tell them off without having to see their replies it was a big problem with resident owned business.  If someone muted a greeter they could easily mute the owner of a store; this would lead to frustration because any requests made to the store owner appeared to go unanswered.  Add in the accidental muting from the pie menu or muting the wrong person in a crowd ... you could get people on your mute list that really did not need to be there.  The easy solution was implementation of auto-unmute we have now.  Sending someone an object or an IM will remove them from your mute list.

At first there was a problem with group chat removing people from your mute list if you were in the same group and you spoke in chat while they were online.  This problem was a bug.  It was fixed within the first couple of weeks after LL implemented the auto-unmute changes.  While I use mute often, it is normally for temporary things.  Greeters at a place I am returning to frequently or gesture spammers at events where I am trying to follow chat, that sort of stuff.  I go through and remove anyone (or thing) I do not recognize every week or so.  But in all this time I have a few permanently muted things.  One is a person who is also in a group used often for chat.  For over a year, that person is still on mute and I talk in group frequently.  Even when I know they are online my group chat does not drop them from my mute list.  That bug was fixed long ago.

Moving on to the other ways to kick in the auto-unmute feature, if you send them an object they will be removed from your mute list.  I do not know for certain but I believe if you own a delivery agent, like a subscribe-o-matic or a greeter, then if the object with you as owner sends out a notecard, LM or what ever, then it counts as you sending the item.  Again, I could be wrong because I have not tested this but I believe this is how it works.

All things to excess; moderation is for monks.
Seicher Rae

This is one way I've found alts to be useful. I had a question about "what happens when...?" on mute and a few other things. So Leia muted Seicher (for no good reason it was pure spite) and I played around with it.

My computer is a laptop and isn't powerful enough to crank running 2 avatars for long so I don't do it often. It was months after the muting experiment that I had Seicher and Leia on the same sim at the same time (inventory stuff) and it took me a  while to figure out why I was seeing Seicher as this gray blob.

So if you have an alt you can join an open and free group with a group chat and do a quick experiment. You can also GC yourself. Etc. Good old empirical process! (Handy for us low-tech folks.)

Seicher Rae

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Once upon a time, a long time ago, you could IM people on your mute list but any replies from them to you were never seen. <snip>

/me waves for the group to gather round at the feet of the Oldbie. We sit, transfixed, as tales of the Long Ago are set before us, like jewels in the sand.

(One of us nods off as a story digresses into an account of having to walk barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both directions, in order to buy $L.)

Seriously, all joking aside, I DO like hearing how things used to be and how they have changed. The posts that pop up here now and again that share Long Ago stories from the WayBack machine are great stuff. I'm still pouting about having never experienced griefing by platoons of flying giant penises.

:::hint hint to the Oldbies, stories please, history lessons, etc:::

Norsk Himmel

add-on.

I just muted a user for spamming in a technical group chat. I replied to the *group chat* saying *muted*. I then got a message saying I auto-unmuted this user. So had to then re-mute. And can't help OTHER users who post queries, since if this person is still in the chat, I'll un-mute and open myself to more spam.

This never used to be the case. And is plain flipping STOOPID

Honored Resident
Fiona Eyre

Thanks, Void - I didn't think about reporting it as a bug; I'm assuming since I was using Phoenix I would report it there.  With all the different viewers out now, the combinations of which viewer might cause what situation are dizzying.  I'll begin with reporting via Phoenix though since that was the viewer I was using.