"Buying land" is a lie and renting info obscure

KongWubba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First I wish they'd stop calling it "buying land" because there's no such thing. You can only rent. OK pet peeve aside...

Speaking of renting, why is information on rental fees not listed with land for sale? I went here

https://land.secondlife.com/en-US/

And NONE of them list the monthly costs, or how long rental contracts (if any) are, ie is it month to month or what? You would think this info would be listed right up front, but no. And the "FAQs" answer none of these questions. Any info appreciated.  

PS: pls do not approach me going "I have this great land for sale contact me" - I am just browsing for now and not interested in a "sales pitch." Just general info which LL SHOULD have listed up front but don't would be appreciated.

There may be a better design for the land related webpages, but its not a lie to write "buy" as there is an inital fee. Anyone who invests into land is probably and adult and should act as one, read as: Should take some time to read not just the headlines but get informed about land in general.

And if you see it from a technical point of view: You get server space and this server space has some continuing costs to cover.

buy land.JPG

You do have to apply some logic as to what "Buying" really means.

Because what you are buying actually is a "right to use" that also has ongoing costs (tier).

But that is really no different than RL.  No one really owns the Land they live on.  What you really get when you buy land in RL is a government granted access with rights, privileges and responsiblities.  And it comes with an ongoing cost we call in RL "real estate taxes." 

So SL is not any different in that manner.

I will agree a more obvious link to the ongoing costs (tier) would be a very good thing.  It still is there on the page but it is a little buried.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.