griefing

Mirika Drasilova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's unlikely we'll ever hear back from the Lab directly about what actions they take in response to griefing complaints. I used to think we should, but now I think such feedback is more likely to result in all kinds of trouble, including both increased griefing and increased false reports of griefing.

More anonymous reports of governance actions, like the old police blotter items, might have the same effect, I'm not sure. It would be interesting to know the whole rationale behind why the Lab has changed its practices over the years, but those are hard-learned lessons, and they may even consider them trade secrets.

Mirika Drasilova wrote:

Over the last year I have raised at least three complaints about griefing at the sim I am an admin with and have not heard a anything from Linden Labs about the cases.

With a new CEO in place will this change?

You know what they say, Mirika, actions speak louder than words!

Linden Lab's new CEO has only 24 hours in each day like the rest of us, and I reckon he could spend 48 of those (at least) dealing with all the reports of griefers that Linden Lab must be receiving, so, I also reckon it is very unlikely that their policies regarding on what they feed back to us in this respect will change.

Just like in real life, there will always be petty criminals, noise nuisances, litter droppers, people who refuse to scoop their dogs' poop, and always reports will be made to the necessary authorities, who again, do not generally report back to individuals just because it is very time-consuming.  But we do take heart when we see an area has been cleaned, a noisy individual has become conspicuous by their absence, etc.

If your griefers are doing something that would be more likely to cause chaos to servers and several sims at the same time, then no doubt faster and more permanent action would be taken against the griefer, but again, only by seeing a change brought about by that action would any of us residents know about it.

I miss the old "police blotter" LL used to have, but often there were feelings of deja vu when viewing it, because the same sims would be the ones mentioned that had been attacked by self-replicating objects, or nude/lewd individuals acting inappropriately in PG welcome areas. Like real life ASBOs, the perpetrators of misery and irritation in Second Life were probably wearing these online mentions like a badge of honour - they are, after all, only out for attention.

So, all things considered, I don't think the new CEO will bring about any changes to how they report back to us when we submit abuse reports. Unfortunately.

• 3 months later...

In the internet world, lies can be caught like flies and could cause some to have their accounts deleted and they could get banned from the game. That would not be a good look if people spend money and others get envious and lie to get that person a bad reputation inworld out of envy through false reports. They always investigate all relevant complaints. If identity theft is the issue they can trace it back to the originator and legal action will be taken from there. It is a good idea to communicate with the supposed griefer to let them know it is happening. Just in case it is something they are wearing that is causing the spam unknowingly. Some businesses put spam in certain objects without the customer knowing. Best to discuss it with that person first so they will know what is happening. It is nicer to ask rather than assume at times.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.