Stargates

Monti Messmer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, if my memories aren´t too blurry they tried to put the all over SL, with the help of Landlords or Landowners(renters). Then there was an incident about copyright and the plans where dropped.

The few locations i knew they have/had one, removed it.

I am all for protect stuff but sometimes they shoot over the target, just my thought.

You could have them set for random teleport or use adress, like any other TP item.

Monti

Ah, thanks, I thought I remembered something like that.

Incidentally, Experience Tools functionality (now in beta) makes the old stargates obsolete, both in the way users experience them and in how they're implemented. Besides llTeleportAgent really working finally, there's no longer any reason for simple systems to depend on external servers, which is what killed the old stargates.

(If there's anything we've learned over the years, it's that the greatest vulnerability for any scripted system is to depend on an external server for anything.)

Oh, I think there's some miscommunication here, sorry. It's not that some teleports will suddenly be broken, but rather that scripts relying on external servers only last as long as those external servers stay up, and historically that has killed them all, sooner or later, and that's what killed off the Stargate network that went away.  

The really good news that comes with the new Experience Tools is that there's rarely any excuse for using external servers anymore. So that's what I meant by "obsolete" -- they're just absurdly kludgy compared to the new alternative.

(A couple exceptions unrelated to teleportation: Scripts will still need external servers for large numbers of records or extensive processing such as AI, or even basic SQL queries).

All that said, there are some older teleportation scripts that are pretty vulnerable. Anything using warpPos or jumpPos hacks within a region really has long needed replacing with llSetRegionPos(), for efficiency if nothing else.

Also, if the user agrees to an Experience, they can now just walk through a portal into a destination anywhere on the grid (with the usual viewer screen-blanking effects) using llTeleportAgent(), which is way more natural than the old llMapDestination() for grid-wide teleports.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Oh, I think there's some miscommunication here, sorry. It's not that some teleports will suddenly be broken, but rather that scripts relying on external servers only last as long as those external servers stay up, and historically that has killed them all, sooner or later, and that's what killed off the Stargate network that went away.  

The really good news that comes with the new Experience Tools is that there's rarely any excuse for using external servers anymore. So that's what I meant by "
obsolete
" -- they're just absurdly kludgy compared to the new alternative.

(A couple exceptions unrelated to teleportation: Scripts will still need external servers for large numbers of records or extensive processing such as AI, or even basic SQL queries).

All that said, there are some older teleportation scripts that are pretty vulnerable. Anything using warpPos or jumpPos hacks within a region really has long needed replacing with llSetRegionPos(), for efficiency if nothing else.

Also, if the user agrees to an Experience, they can now just walk through a portal into a destination anywhere on the grid (with the usual viewer screen-blanking effects) using llTeleportAgent(), which is way more natural than the old llMapDestination() for grid-wide teleports.

Thanks for clarifying. After posting my question and re-reading what you had put, I thought perhaps you meant obsolete in that external databases no longer necessary. But left my question as it was because the clarity you provided is helpful.

I had wondered how one of my tardises was doing automatic teleporting, like you describe (I think NLS from memory but might be HoO), while on Novatech's I need to have rlv turned on, on the hud for similar effect.

• 8 years later...

ASN does still work. Goto Subnova to get a gate OR request off webpage at https://www.alpha-fox.com/asn/get/.

You can dial from any current version gates menu , enter  walk past ramp where sign to get a gate.

Novatech ones are a bit different, are grid wide or can be set to  your private network between places. It is a Pegasus gate, even though I have redone mine to be a Milkway gate. Not as animated as the ASN gates that you /sgc L:OCATION NAME  for animated  show version or use speed dial version or just /d  LOCATION for faster DHD dial. I use Novatech for Bellisseria side of Bellisseria Roleplay to take members to our private land for farming, mining, gcs combat at the pyramid, and Club Anubis.  There is also an ASN gate in the Egyptian palace near the Novatech one. 

ASN GET A FREE GATES PACK LOCATION: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eternal Calm/128/146/3105

ADD ON EXPERIENCE FOR ASN GATES AUTO TP: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DbyC-ASN-Gate-SL-Experience-Auto-Teleporter/17488069  THIS WILL BE REZZED AND PLACED JUST BEHIND YOUR GATE. Add Skeleton Key experience to parcel.  IT make it auto tp when you walk through horizon. (after accepting experience) 

Common popular locations. Egypt / SGC / Atlantis / Midway  

/d random to dial a random

/sgc NAME is slower show dialing. 

THer is also carters speed dial one, also part of the SGC computer system you can get at Subnova. 

You can see both types at our Egypt  gate spot http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Prohibition/217/228/22

If you need help with either I will be glad to explain them. 

Edited by Kavarek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:20 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

8 years later, dude watch the dates on topics,  make a new thread if you got new information as most information is dated this far back.

Date is irrelevant nor is creating a NEW POST needed (redundant) for posting updated information at the end of existing posts when it is searched (the 2 main post regarding it). Keep that in mind before commenting.

TIP to learn something : Many follow keyword posts. There are 2 primary posts regarding the ASN alternan networks with incorrect information. I have updated it so this will clarify those searches with no need to create another additional post post in the forums with further confusion. The topic says the network is down, when in fact it is not, and moved to a new server. Now when people search and see this post they will have CORRECT information - not outdated INFORMATION.  Keep forums neat and clean without redundant posts on search information.  That is also stated in Forum use. 

Novatech type was also shared

There has been a revitalization of Stargate RP areas that we ran many years ago.  So therefor information in case of search, as pointed out to us by others seeing this, has now been updated. 

ASN GET A FREE GATES PACK LOCATION: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eternal Calm/128/146/3105

ASN Website Gate request: https://www.alpha-fox.com/asn/get/

Lead Gate addresses: Egypt / Goa'uld / SGC / Atlantis / Q'tesh / Vagonbrei   (new RP outposts will be listed soon)

Edited by Kavarek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Kavarek said:

Date is irrelevant nor is creating a NEW POST needed (redundant) for posting updated information at the end of existing posts when it is searched (the 2 main post regarding it). Keep that in mind before commenting.

TIP to learn something : Many follow keyword posts. There are 2 primary posts regarding the ASN alternan networks with incorrect information. I have updated it so this will clarify those searches with no need to create another additional post post in the forums with further confusion. The topic says the network is down, when in fact it is not an moved to a new server. Now when people search and see this post they will have CORRECT information - not outdated INFORMATION.  Keep forums neat and clean without redundant posts on search information.  That is also stated in Forum use. 

There has be a revitalization of Stargate RP areas that we ran many years ago.  So therefor information in case of search, as pointed out to us by others seeing this, has now been updated. 

ASN Website Gate request: https://www.alpha-fox.com/asn/get/

Lead Gate addresses: Egypt / Goa'uld / SGC / Atlantis / Q'tesh / Vagonbrei   (new RP outposts will be listed soon)

Thanks for the update! Rejoined the groups. Miss it.

• Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, Kavarek said:

8 years is a dead topic.   that's all there is for me to say about that.   Have fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

8 years is a dead topic.   that's all there is for me to say about that.   Have fun.

Look at all those Thank You reactions from brand new to the forums accounts who all logged in and posted at the same time!   That's not suspect at all!

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If its an ad for a working stargate that isn't made from an obscene number of PRIMS I sure am interested ... 

I just checked and ... 

enMVPCs.png

You want stargate RP?? 

125 Li is not how you get stargate RP.

I love stargate and am rewatching it right now with my SO. Stone cold serious.

Q5edlWe.png

134 Li .. for this one. You're killing me.

lJBLhVe.png

32 .. That's a whole room's li allowance.

i81jtUO.png

24 at the lowest  .. for this basic thing ?

I used to have a busy location on Qetesh's RLV Stargate network back when I had a full region to play with, and even then I stripped this mess down to a few prim.

We need mesh gates that are better looking and lower far lower Li.

We also need a script kit so we can build our own working gates with minimal fuss.

It would be nice if that script kit used modern features like llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast rather than a script in every single active element. 

The Milkway gate lists as 2624kb of script memory, the "lightweight" forerunner is 1280kb .. yes I know how mono script memory works, my point is does a stargate REALLY need to be 41 scripts ?!!

If you're serious about SG RP in SL .. this all needs to change, because right now .. no one can afford to build locations to visit with these gates.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
wrong picture for last gate
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I just checked and ... 

enMVPCs.png

You want stargate RP?? 

125 Li is not how you get stargate RP.

I love stargate and am rewatching it right now with my SO. Stone cold serious.

Q5edlWe.png

134 Li .. for this one. You're killing me.

lJBLhVe.png

32 .. That's a whole room's li allowance.

i81jtUO.png

24 at the lowest  .. for this basic thing ?

I used to have a busy location on Qetesh's RLV Stargate network back when I had a full region to play with, and even then I stripped this mess down to a few prim.

We need mesh gates that are better looking and lower far lower Li.

We also need a script kit so we can build our own working gates with minimal fuss.

It would be nice if that script kit used modern features like llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast rather than a script in every single active element. 

The Milkway gate lists as 2624kb of script memory, the "lightweight" forerunner is 1280kb .. yes I know how mono script memory works, my point is does a stargate REALLY need to be 41 scripts ?!!

If you're serious about SG RP in SL .. this all needs to change, because right now .. no one can afford to build locations to visit with these gates.

Just curious, did you check the NovaTech stargate for comparison in LI?

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just curious, did you check the NovaTech stargate for comparison in LI?

20 - 42 according to their slm page .. but thats a different gate and afaik , doesn't work with the main SG network .. 

It's also old as dirt and hasn't been updated or refreshed in years.

It's all prim. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

20 - 42 according to their slm page .. but thats a different gate and afaik , doesn't work with the main SG network .. 

It's also old as dirt and hasn't been updated or refreshed in years.

It's all prim. 

That's a shame, I like NovaTech. They are an active company with active support.

I never tried any StarGates of any company.

Are they "fun" to use?

Seems like they would be an eyesore scattered someplace like Bellisserria..as @Rowan Amorementioned.

Who has that much extra LI in Linden homes?!?

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's a shame, I like NovaTech. They are an active company with active support.

I never tried any StarGates of any company.

Are they "fun" to use?

Seems like they would be an eyesore scattered someplace like Bellisserria..as @Rowan Amorementioned.

Who has that much extra LI in Linden homes?!?

Fanatik has one that's mesh and would actually look great in the Fantasy linden home areas...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/FANATIK-Zodiac-Portal-grid-wide-experience-teleporter-mesh-with-materials/21792113

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are they "fun" to use?

Yes, .. although the only really active part of the network is the RLV locations. Click a vendor for the destination, the gate does it's thing, walk in, get teleported and appear out of an active gate at the other end. It's less RP than the main network as there is no DHD or someone shouting out the chevrons as they lock .. but whatever.

The whole 'using a network of portals to get about' fits SL very well.

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yes, .. although the only really active part of the network is the RLV locations. Click a vendor for the destination, the gate does it's thing, walk in, get teleported and appear out of an active gate at the other end. It's less RP than the main network as there is no DHD or someone shouting out the chevrons as they lock .. but whatever.

The whole 'using a network of portals to get about' fits SL very well.

With PBR, it will be cool when we have portals that are "mirrors" you can "step through"!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.