Some questions about this

cibernut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Couldn't find a forum ideal for this so I put it here...  Was just going through the home selection process and was presented with this info that raised a few alarm bells so I didn't go ahead with it.

slscrnshot.png

5) Buying or selling of land is prohibited.  

Is this just where the linden home is concerned or generally?  I hope it's just where the home is concerned, although tbh I don't see where 'buying' comes into it seeing as I would already have it.

8) No commerce activity.  What exactly does that mean officially?  For instance, could I put my own pictures on the walls?

* The Linden Home is subject to change. This is telling me that I may not end up with the one/style that I selected, in which case, what is the point of having an option in the first place?

That's basically it...

This condition means that you can't rent (since all land is rented in SL) or sub-let your Linden Home to anyone else. The only option for you is to 'abandon' your Linden Home when you no longer want it.

8) No commerce activity.  What exactly does that mean officially?  For instance, could I put my own pictures on the walls?

This means that you can't use your Linden Home as a business location - you shouldn't sell from it, host vendors/servers on it or otherwise use the property for commercial gain.

So far as I can tell, it would only be prohibited to use your own artwork on the walls (ref: your example) if selling that artwork was your only intention - such as operating an art gallery from your Linden Home - you'd still be able to sell the assets used to furnish your home, just not from within the home itself.

* The Linden Home is subject to change.

Everything in Second Life is subject to change. In the history of Linden Homes thus far, the offering of them has not varied. This is just legal wrangling to escape any complaints should the service be adjusted without forewarning.

Good luck!

cibernut wrote:

Is this just where the linden home is concerned or generally?  I hope it's just where the home is concerned, although tbh I don't see where 'buying' comes into it seeing as I would already have it.

These are all restrictions specific to Linden Homes only, and so they're sort of "exceptions" to what everyone expects from Second Life land ownership.

This particular rule has another, more subtle effect: It prevents deeding the Linden Home parcel to a group. It's unlikely this would matter to new landowners (the intended target market for Linden Homes), but it may be of interest to those with more land ownership experience.

Right, so the Buying or selling of land is prohibited clause only applies to the Linden Home and the land that it's on, not buying and selling land generally - I'm ok with that, however, if I was to abandon the home in the future and so just have the 512 sqm plot or tier, then what?  What could I do with it?  
Isn't it the case (or so I've read...), that either I can have a LH on it but then not be able to sell it, or if I don't have a LH on it then I can sell it.  If the answer to that is also 'no', then I don't see the point seeing as I've paid for a premiun account.

On commercial activity, I can't sell anything in it directly from the estate but I could sell items through the market place. Seems fair to me, so I'm ok with that.

I'm glad the last point is just legal wrangling, although tbh I hope I do end up with the one I selected...

what you can do is abandon the linden home and then you have 512 free to put towards your tier on some land where you have more freedom... to build what you like... terraform as you please... use as a home or a store or whatever you like.

cibernut wrote:

Right, so the Buying or selling of land is prohibited clause only applies to the Linden Home and the land that it's on, not buying and selling land generally - I'm ok with that, however, if I was to abandon the home in the future and so just have the 512 sqm plot or tier, then what?  What could I do with it?  

Isn't it the case (or so I've read...), that either I can have a LH on it but then not be able to sell it, or if I don't have a LH on it then I can sell it.  If the answer to that is also 'no', then I don't see the point seeing as I've paid for a premiun account.

On commercial activity, I can't sell anything in it directly from the estate but I could sell items through the market place. Seems fair to me, so I'm ok with that.

I'm glad the last point is just legal wrangling, although tbh I hope I do end up with the one I selected...

If you use your free tier on land you buy instead of a Linden Home you can do anything with that land that you could do with any other mainland - that includes selling it or running a (tiny) business. Note that you'd have to "buy" the piece of land you use your free tier on but after that the "rent" is included in your Premium membership.

So, you mean I could add the free 512 sqm to other land that I buy where I have more rights?  Sounds good as I might just do that because just now I TPd to my new LH for the first time and frankly I'm not too sure where they put it because my AV ended up in the middle of an impromptu party of some sort and one AV in particular I found very offensive without ging into details, so I logged out and then tried again, but same party going on - this went on adinfinitum so I logged out again with a view to going back in a few hours time to see if things have calmed down a bit ;)

cibernut wrote:

So, you mean I could add the free 512 sqm to other land that I buy where I have more rights?  Sounds good as I might just do that because just now I TPd to my new LH for the first time and frankly I'm not too sure where they put it because my AV ended up in the middle of an impromptu party of some sort and one AV in particular I found very offensive without ging into details, so I logged out and then tried again, but same party going on - this went on adinfinitum so I logged out again with a view to going back in a few hours time to see if tings have calmed down a bit
;)

If you have not read this, I might suggest you do:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Linden-Homes/ta-p/700103

What you said almost reads like they were in your home.  You have control over who can access your Parcel, as explained in that article.

As far as what you encountered you can be just as much at risk on Mainland.  However there is another tool, called Parcel Privacy or Hiding Avatars, that you can use.  When you set it, no one outside your parcel can see you and you don't see anyone outside your parcel.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113#Section_.6.4

If you abandon your Linden Home you can use the 512sqm free tier toward land you own on the mainland. If you own more than 512sqm, then you pay tier on the difference. 

Free land is a misnomer,  land is not free on the mainland, you have to buy it.  It is the tier that is free on the first 512sqm.  Prices for land in prime locations can be very expensive.  Other land can be gotten for as little as $1L or less per sqm.

You can sell mainland any time you please, but unless it's in a prime location and priced right, the chance of selling it in a reasonable time is slim.  Your biggest competition is LL selling abandoned land, which is abundant.  Parcels that may have some demand are auctioned off to the highest bidder.  LL sells the rest of the abandoned land for 1L a sqm.  So you won't get more than that, and less if your looking to sell in a reasonable time frame.

As far as the party in your house, they were squatters.  Just eject and ban them and return all their stuff.

It seems I got my wires a bit crossed...  The funny party was not in or anywhere near even my LH but somewhere completely different.  I'll explain.  I thought that clicking on the 'home symbol or icon' and then selecting teleport took you to your new LH (if you had one) - I didn't realize that in fact this takes you to the area in SL that's ben assigned as your home area, which is where the party was.
On the parcel privacy bit, I'm glad you told me that there could be AVs walking around me but I wouldn't know.  This explains why my AV was shifting slightly sideways the other day even though I wasn't pressing any key when I visited that place called Afterlife.

Thanks again.  I keep forgetting that tier and land is not one and the same thing.  So with the first 512sqm 'free' tier that I acquired by upgrading to premium, I can either keep the LH but then have no useable tier left for anything else, or I can abandon the LH and then use it towards other land that I own - I think I get it...  But if you buy additional land doesn't that come with it's own tier, or am I missing something.

cibernut wrote:

Thanks again.  I keep forgetting that tier and land is not one and the same thing.  So with the first 512sqm 'free' tier that I acquired by upgrading to premium, I can either keep the LH but then have no useable tier left for anything else, or I can abandon the LH and then use it towards other land that I own - I think I get it...  But if you by additional land doesn't that come with it's own tier, or am I missing something.

Say you buy a lot that is a 1024sqm lot.  The first 512sqm is tier free, but you pay tier on the remaining 512sqm.  You can go here: https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php?   to get a personalized land fee chart as well as a tier calculator.  If you own a Linden home it will not show the first 512sqm free, but if you don't it will.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.