Skybox Requirements

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Guys,

I own a little plot with roughly 536 sm and 132 prims. The plot is about 23x23 mtr. I rezzed a platform in a high of 4000 mtr. Is it possible to rezz there a skybox with 30x24 mtr, alternate 30x16? I know that it will hang over the border but it is in 4000 mtr with nothing sourrounding and it is within the primlimits. Thank you for answering.

it is best to keep your objects inside your parcel boundaries unless you ask permission from your neighbors first.

if your neighbors decide that they don't like your oversized skybox, they are free (and able) to return any pieces that overhang their land. that could be the whole skybox.

if you try to rez any furniture outside your parcel boundaries, it probably won't work unless your neighbors allow you to rez on their land and use their prim allocation.

It is "possible" and in fact I had a neighbor who had a platform WAY over onto my parcel for several years. It made no difference to me so was not an issue. The "issue" part is what is most important. At one time The Lab was going to change mainland  (and perhaps private islands - I don't remember that part) so that it would NOT be possible to encroach on others land. They didn't follow through with that and unlikely they will now. BUT if your neighbors complain you will be in trouble :D.  

NOTE: You will not be able to place any items in the "no mans land" without some trickery. So those areas that are on land that is not yours are more for inside vista and walking around space (unless you are hanging out over a void where you cannot walk).   

I doubt seriously that the neighbor could return the skybox. They certainly could send in an AR. A skybox by its nature is often ONE object and the root of that object would be (if built correctly) the "floor" which would be settled in the middle  (or near) of the owned plot. I certainly couldn't return items "mostly" on another piece of land but hanging over into my plot. I have tried.

If the OP is rezzing a building on a platform and that building is made up of various parts, the parts hanging over the neighbors (or void) would just disappear instantly if they had their land tools set correctly.  So that would certainly not be a workable plan. IF the OP is on private land with a covenant they should indeed READ that over AGAIN *wink* to make sure there are no rules. The actual land owner could of course return items at any time.

And of course if the OP knows the neighbors, they can certainly ask. In my mind it is most often not an issue as long as you have no land impact that is on THEIR land.  Keep it on owned land OR better yet, get a smaller skybox LOL.

https://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

Chic Aeon wrote:

I doubt seriously that the neighbor could return the skybox. They certainly could send in an AR. A skybox by its nature is often ONE object and the root of that object would be (if built correctly) the "floor" which would be settled in the middle  (or near) of the owned plot. I certainly couldn't return items "mostly" on another piece of land but hanging over into my plot. I have tried.

that information is out of date. object return is now possible for objects that encroach, no matter where the root prim is centered. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Parcel_encroachment

"I doubt seriously that the neighbor could return the skybox."

SInce last year or so everyone can return "overlapping" structures. The returner only must own the parcel which gets overlapped. Won´t work on Linden roads or for renters of rented parcels, of course. Not sure about parcels on private estates, even if "admin rights" are granted. But most likely this will work even there (if admin rights are granted), as on any mainland parcel.

You can rezz anything overlapping visually, as long as the root piece of an object or linnkset is located on your own parcel. This will make objects count against your own Land Impact, not the Land Impact of your neighbors.

Nevertheless, as mentioned before, it´s wise to ask your neighbors for permission, otherwise overlapping objects and linksets might get returned.

I own a little plot with roughly 536 sm and 132 prims. The plot is about 23x23 mtr. 

If it supports 132 prims, it's 576 sq.m., and if it's square, it's 24 x 24m. (It can't be 536 sq.m. because land is always an integer multiple of 16 sq.m.)

If it happens that you're neighboring Linden protected land, you'll usually be fine encroaching on it, especially if you do it at a high altitude. In practice, the same may apply to abandoned land, at least until it gets auctioned off, which may be never. (As already mentioned, you'd need to keep everything rooted on your own land, using your own prim allotment, otherwise it will get returned.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.