Sky boxes and domes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Sabrina,

If you are a premium member, then you are automatically allowed 512m2 of land, with or without a Linden Home. The rent for that space is included in the premium fee. If you have a Linden Home, I'm not sure if you're allowed to loft a skybox above it. The advantage of Linden Homes is that they give you a space to decorate which does not count against the 117 prim limit for 512m2 of land. The more prims your skybox contains, the larger the piece of land it will require to support the prim limit. It's also important to make sure that the physical extent of the skybox doesn't protrude beyond the edges of any parcel you purchase.

If you do not want a Linden Home (and it sounds like you don't), you can purchase a lot of mainland with your 512m2 allotment. Here's the SL entry point for purchasing land where you'll find information on the various ways of doing so...

http://secondlife.com/land/purchasing.php

If you are not a premium member, you can rent property from any number of estate owners. Rather than pay rent directly to LL, you'll pay it to the landlord. Whether you can loft a skybox will depend on the parcel's covenant. Ask the landlord. Depending on the way the landlord rents space, you may or may not have the powers over your space that you'd have with directly owned land. On the flip side, you may have additional freedom in the configuration of your skybox. I rent a home with a 230 prim allowance, but fairly lax restrictions on building. As a result, I'm able to lay out a huge working deck in the sky when I'm building and nobody complains. Again, check with the landlord for building restrictions.

If you can tell us more about what kind of surroundings you'd like, your budget, the style of your skybox, etc, someone may pop in to give you suggestions for suitable places for your skybox.

Happy Hunting!

You need to buy (premium if mainland) or rent  or lease (kind of like buying on private land when they say "buy" -- you don't actually OWN it :D) land that is BIG ENOUGH (important) to rez your sky dome on. There should be info in the marketplace listing or the vendor that tells you the footprint of the skydome. Typical woudl be 64 x 64 or 128 x 128 but sizes to fit into typical parcels.

Once you have your land and a group invite (needed to rez on rented land) you can purchase your sky dome and place it on your land. I might advise if you are new -- to practice this on a sandbox. The first few times it is tricky. After that, not such a big deal.

Good luck.

That helps out a lot. Thank you.

I'm not a premium member and I don't want a Linden home. =P

I'm really ok with any type of land. They only things I'm looking for are at least 500 prims, fairly cheap (if that's even possible), and big enought to fit a 36x39 house. Its a beach house if that helps. I was looking at this sky dome:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sculpted-Island-Beach-Sky-Dome-Full-Perm/4233283

Any information regarding what I should do would be fantastic.

The sky dome you are considering is has a 60M x 60M footprint, which means you would need to buy or rent at least a 3600 M2 parcel of land, that is square, and 60 meters on a side. That will give you an allocation of about 820 prims to play with, and the dome itself consumes 16 prims. 

I would advise getting a parcel that is a bit bigger than that, as centering your skydome precisely over the exact center of a 60 x 60 parcel can be difficult.

The easiest way to get it centered is to rez it on the ground while you have your viewer set to show you the edges of your parcel, make sure you are not overlapping any of your edges, and then select the skydome and everything in it and edit the height value to the altitude you want it to be at (like 2000 Meters up, or whatever, so it can't be seen from the ground).

Sinca that product has a rez box, I think you should be able to place the rez box at the exact center of a 60 x 60 parcel, and then edit its height to the altitude you want, then sit on a prim and edit that prim's height to the same altitude, and command the rez box to set up the dome up there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.