Price Rises, can i do something or not?

Neveril

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,
Is from almost 5/6 months that i have a land, i always paid this land 870L$/week (with 10% off if i pay 4weeks).
I always paid the rent before it expire, today i was going to pay the rent when i saw that the price is 1,025L$/week, and i think is not correct because nobody told me nothing.
Is it legal to change the price if i rent that land when the price was 870L$/week?
Because when i rent this land the first time i was accepting the 870L$ price and is not correct that now i have to pay a different price of 1,025L$.

Thank you

Maybe it's a mistake, it sometimes happens in large (and perhaps not all thar organized) staffs for rental companies. Have you tried contacting your landlord about it? If so, what did he/she said?

I don't know if it's legal (I suspect it is), but if your landlord stands by the increase, you can always threaten with not being a tenant anymore, or even effectively carrying on the threat.

Neveril wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is from almost 5/6 months that i have a land, i always paid this land 870L$/week (with 10% off if i pay 4weeks).

I always paid the rent before it expire, today i was going to pay the rent when i saw that the price is 1,025L$/week, and i think is not correct because nobody told me nothing.

Is it legal to change the price if i rent that land when the price was 870L$/week?

Because when i rent this land the first time i was accepting the 870L$ price and is not correct that now i have to pay a different price of 1,025L$.

Thank you

Not only is it legal in SL, it's legal in RL in most locations after the initial lease expires.

Neveril wrote:

But our rent is never expire, she change the price when we have 2 weeks yet

You are thinking of a situation that's called "rent control" in real life, where your rent never goes up as long as you're renting continuously. That's only the rule in a very few locations (at least in the US) and in any event doesn't exist in Second Life. If the price actually increased and you don't want to pay additional you can stay there for the remaining two weeks because its prepaid and then move somewhere else.

It would be sleazy if they raised the price and applied it to rent you already paid, so your two-week payment didn't last the full two weeks. I'm guessing they didn't do that.

I'd also guess, however, that it was just a mistake. There's nothing illegal about raising the rent at lease renewal time, but it's very uncommon, for simple business reasons. (If a landlord has a good, paying tenant, why risk losing them?) So I'd suggest just chatting nicely with the landlord and see if they'll "fix" the price back where it was. And if not, if I were you, I'd find a different arrangement immediately. But that's just me.

I've already tried to talk with her. She just threatened to kick me out of the land now and that she would give back only 50% of my old rent back. She was not given me any explanation, she only said she throws me out and, then, she said I cause problems because I own a shop in the land (the land is COMMERCIAL!).

Okay, in that case, I'd strongly recommend renting somewhere else (or buying, or whatever -- I'm not trying to drum-up business here), and use the rest of your lease to transition your customers... special deals at the new location to get them using a new landmark or however you need to get them coming to the new location -- while making your business as "location independent" as it can be, for the future.

Neveril wrote:

I've already tried to talk with her. She just threatened to kick me out of the land now and that she would give back only 50% of my old rent back. She was not given me any explanation, she only said she throws me out and, then, she said I cause problems because I own a shop in the land (the land is COMMERCIAL!).

Maybe one or more of the eleven newbs clustered together on a big sheet of plywood under your store that has a traffic count of over 17,000 may have been causing problems?

Well she can tell me without kick me and dont give my money back.

Time ago she ask me to have only a tot of bots, i put only the numbers of bots that she ask me,  She also ask us to change land because the bot, and we change (time ago) and now she kick?

Sorry but it is not correct.

And she get angry because we return a prim that she always rezz in our land from her Club.

Neveril wrote:

Well she can tell me without kick me and dont give my money back.

Time ago she ask me to have only a tot of bots, i put only the numbers of bots that she ask me,
 She also ask us to change land because the bot, and we change (time ago) 
and now she kick?

Sorry but it is not correct.

And she get angry because we return a prim that she always rezz in our land from her Club.

Do you have your parcel set to show in search?

If so, I am guessing that's why she kicked you. Many people believe using bots to gain traffic is taboo, whether it is against the TOS or not. I actually happen to side with those folks, I think it's a terrible decision to gain higher false traffic using bots that are not actually doing something. I don't think it speaks very highly of a business that needs to gain traffic via this method either. But, thankfully, my opinions only apply to me, and those I am a patron of, lol.(so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt)

If it's her land, she has every right to rez prims on it, and you have every right not to lease there. Landowners in sl don't actually have to give you a reason to be kicked out, it is at their discretion. It sounds to me like you've had continual problems with this person(whether by your own doing, or hers, doesn't matter), and leaving the sim, with or without your money, is the best solution.

I'm not siding with her, ftr., but you should know the TOS allows her to do exactly what she's doing.  As in, it is not against TOS for her to kick you out, not offer a refund, expect that you won't use bots to garner traffic, etc...She gets to make the rules on the land she owns, as long as she's within sl TOS. 

Personally I think it's sleazy to kick someone out, or raise rent without informing them ahead of time. I would never do it, and I have left land companies that do, in the past. But, I know they have the right to do so if they want, and I have the right to not be a patron for them. Continual problems on a parcel or sim, can easily lead to the exact predicament you are in now though.

Um, I haven't been to look at your parcel  so I'm taking Theresa's word on this but a traffic count of 17,000????

Are those bots registered as scripted agents with SL?  If not you'd be in violation of the TOS which would be grounds for any LandLord to boot you.

My apologies if they are registered, but it takes a lot of traffic to get to 17,000.

As former themed sim owner, there is usually a contract that you agree on the price of the parcel.  So, yes, it can go up!   During the summer, the traffic goes down.  Although, the land owners costs to LL remain the same.  So, he is adjusting for this cost or he will be forced to close his sim.  Typically, people just move to another sim.   I always kept my rerntal costs the same, but I did offer a flexible price on the rental costs based on prims.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.