Performance Question Mainland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are no more server classes if that is what you are looking for. LL does not guarantee what type of server your sim is on and can and will move it to another based on its use and their needs whenever they please.  Also the newer/bigger/faster the server, the more sims will be on it.  You do know that one server per sim is a myth don't you?

That information for what it's worth can be found here: http://gridsurvey.com/index.php

If you are looking for performance, you can check the frames per second  (Ctrl + Shift +1). Note that you will always (well I have never seen a case where that wasn't true but it could happen) have much better performance in the air than on the ground :D. Also there are many mainland sims that are almost completely empty with most of the land in maintenance so look for "bumping land" which often marks maintenance land. You can look at the neighboring parcels surrounding the one you are looking at -- in the land tab.

The last time I looked (I just go out for fun now and then) there were plenty of $1 per square meter lands. If you are looking for waterfront or protected land of course that will be more :D  Note that there is sometimes land advertised as 'water view' etc. If that land is a SIM rather than Linden water way -- there is no guarantee at all it will remain water. I have had land like that for years and sometimes you have a view and sometimes ya don't :D.

Have fun. I always find land shopping interesting even when I am not planning on buying.

Also note that FPS varies widely and often. So check a few times if you are serious about a piece AND as I said, fly up and check too if that would be an option for you.

In addition to gridsurvey, Tyche also generates weekly reports to SLU, e.g. http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/1995399-post2232.html from which it's evident that hardware hosting Estate sims is on average older than that for Mainland, although there's a distribution of server classes hosting each. (And yes, server class is no longer reliably predictive of sim performance.) Also, in case it doesn't turn up on first try, the same server instance often (usually?) hosts both Mainland and Estate regions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.