Old School Question (I own land, but I don't!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I joined SL back when they were giving out parcels of land for free to anyone who joined. Back then, I and two of my friends combined our land gifts into a single land parcel, and built a large house on it. I created a group for the parcel, and added all my friends to it.

Over time, I noticed that my ownership of this parcel (my friends had given their parcels to me) wasn't really showing up properly. I could build and set access options and such there, but my account showed I owned no land, and was unable to sell the property that clearly belonged to me and the group I had made. I was also sometimes told I couldn't build there, even when I had ample prim space.

Recently, I had all my items returned to me. The house I had built, all the things I had placed inside the house were returned... and yet the land is still deeded to me and my group! The plot is still clear and open, according to people who go there. Just all my things were returned by... something. I have no idea how this is happening, or what to do about it, and since my account isn't a premium one, I can't directly ask anyone for help with the issue. The people whose land was combined with my own have long since stopped playing SL.

Can anyone explain what is going on, and if there is some way to get in touch with Linden Labs to get this fixed... or whatever it is that needs to be done so  can either have my land back and build on it safely once more, or know for sure I don't own the land and have the control of it removed and the group ownership revoked? That house held a lot of good memories of SL, and I've been upset for a while about not being able to go there anymore. Any idea what to do?

DracosBlackwing Xingjian wrote:

I joined SL back when they were giving out parcels of land for free to anyone who joined. Back then, I and two of my friends combined our land gifts into a single land parcel, and built a large house on it. I created a group for the parcel, and added all my friends to it.

Over time, I noticed that my ownership of this parcel (my friends had given their parcels to me) wasn't really showing up properly. I could build and set access options and such there, but my account showed I owned no land, and was unable to sell the property that clearly belonged to me and the group I had made. I was also sometimes told I couldn't build there, even when I had ample prim space.

Recently, I had all my items returned to me. The house I had built, all the things I had placed inside the house were returned... and yet the land is still deeded to me and my group! The plot is still clear and open, according to people who go there. Just all my things were returned by... something. I have no idea how this is happening, or what to do about it, and since my account isn't a premium one, I can't directly ask anyone for help with the issue. The people whose land was combined with my own have long since stopped playing SL.

Can anyone explain what is going on, and if there is some way to get in touch with Linden Labs to get this fixed... or whatever it is that needs to be done so  can either have my land back and build on it safely once more, or know for sure I don't own the land and have the control of it removed and the group ownership revoked? That house held a lot of good memories of SL, and I've been upset for a while about not being able to go there anymore. Any idea what to do?

Did you ever get any of this resolved back when you asked about this in 2011?  LINK

About what year did you join SL? 

I've never heard that they gave any one land for free.

There was the Lifetime Membership Program back in 2003.  But even that did not provide "free land:"

"Please make sure you understand the plan before you make the commitment - it does not automatically provide you with 4,096 square meters of contiguous land.

1.The Lifetime Membership allows you to hold up to 4,096 square meters of land without paying monthly land use fees . "      LINK

Later on there was the First Land program but that ended in 2007.  But again, that land was not free. LINK and LINK.

If you had land under the First Land Program and stopped being premium then yes you'd lose your land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.