Newbie Land Questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new and looking to get my own home but that seems pretty impossible at the moment. Sorry if this has been answered before, but can anyone give me some tips? At the moment, making enough L$ to be able to afford rent (at least, the rents I've seen in the search tool-is that a good place to look?) is totally out of the question; I've only been able to get money from money trees and so I'm kind of at a loss. Is there any way for a new player to be able to own their own home or is this just something I'm going to have to work up to?

I can't afford to get a Premium Membership (I could maybe get a month or two but then I'm assuming the Linden House would disappear at the end of that month?) so I'm kinda stuck. Any help would be appreciated. 

Sorry that my question kinda turned into a whole host of questions instead!

You may get offers to stay a few months free somewhere, especially if you present yourself as someone who has genuine interest in the platform and the potential to eventually pay some rent.

It may help to be explicit about why you want to have your own home in Second Life. If, for example, you just want somewhere to build or rez stuff temporarily or change / try on outfits, there are places that you can use for those activities for free. For that matter, you can set yourself up for free with a (reasonably) private place to socialize, too, as long as you don't need it to persist across login sessions; what you need to pay for is an address you can expect to keep using more than once. And even that can be very inexpensive if you just need some space in the sky with only a few of your own prims.

I wouldn't recommend a Linden Home at this point; they were kinda okay at first, for newbies, and I guess they'd still be okay as kind of "training wheels" for land ownership, but for anything longer term they're really dated-looking now, being both pre-Mesh and pre-Materials.

(On the other hand, if you eventually find yourself buying L$s in any quantity, an annual Premium membership is a real bargain because of the L$300 weekly stipend, combined with the ability to own a 512 tier-free anywhere on Mainland. That initial outlay of US$72, however, seems a huge step at first, and the quarterly or monthly plans aren't nearly such great deals.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.