Need land for house

DelizaLove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can "buy" 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/1 homestead on estate-land, where you in fact rent from another resident, but it is still called buying. You do not have to be a premium member, to rent/"buy" estateland from another resident.

But the size of the land, is not the only thing you have to consider...The house you want is over 1300 prims, and I guess you also want to have some furniture and plants too. It will be a lot of prims, all together. So make sure, the land you buy or rent will be able to cover your prim-needs :)

Well I wanted that house, but as you say it will require alot of prims to get it furnished. Also lots of money so I'm not 100% about that house. I wanna get some land and build a mansion, skyscraper or whatever. I would like to rent appartments to other residents. Thats possible right ?

thanks

Sure, it is possible - almost everything is possible in SL ... you just go ahead to make your dreams come true :)

If you are premium member, you can also consider to buy a piece of mainland. Then you will be paying fee to LL each month, instead of paying rent to another resident. And you can get all size of parcels.

You can see the fee levels here:

Mainland

Its really not wise to start so big in SL.

Its much better to start with something tiny, and build up - over time - as you get used to the system, get used to building, and get comfortable in knowing what kinds of housing decorations appeal to you.

I see it all the time that people new to SL or new to owning land buy huge plots of lands for several hundred real-life dollars, throw some junk down... and then a few months later vanish... and the land goes abandoned... because they start getting the tier bill and start looking at how much they spent... and then notice that their land is full of ugly junk...

They blame Linden Lab and Second Life... but it was their own choices made before they had expertise that got them there.

I started with a simple 512m lot back in 2009. I've got about an 1/8th of a sim now - split across a few locations. But I did that slowly - learning the difference between what I thought I would like and what I actually like in the context of SL over the years.

DelizaLove wrote:

Well I wanted that house, but as you say it will require alot of prims to get it furnished. Also lots of money so I'm not 100% about that house. I wanna get some land and build a mansion, skyscraper or whatever. I would like to rent appartments to other residents. Thats possible right ?

thanks

If you get land on a private estate be sure to read the covenant to make sure you are allowed to have a rental business on the region. 

Rethink apartments.  They are not as near as popular as skyboxes for good reason.  To have a private conversation you have to talk in IM's, they can't have their own media or music as the neighbors will hear everything, neighbors can easily cam in to see what you are doing. 

None of this is a problem with skyboxes if they are placed far enough apart.  You can stack skyboxes from about 500m all the way up to 4000m.  The ground can be used for common area recreation or you can put  house for rent there or for your own residence.  By using a shared media player, each tenant can have their own media and music.

Be prepared as a landlord to spend time promoting your rentals and helping your tenants and dealing with their issues.  Be sure to do your research into the rental market to see what your competitors offer and price your rentals competitively.  Draw up a business plan and factor in that you will have vacancies and people not paying rent on time so you may have to pay some or all the tier yourself sometimes. 

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Its really not wise to start so big in SL.

Its much better to start with something tiny, and build up - over time - as you get used to the system, get used to building, and get comfortable in knowing what kinds of housing decorations appeal to you.

I see it all the time that people new to SL or new to owning land buy huge plots of lands for several hundred real-life dollars, throw some junk down... and then a few months later vanish... and the land goes abandoned... because they start getting the tier bill and start looking at how much they spent... and then notice that their land is full of ugly junk...

They blame Linden Lab and Second Life... but it was their own choices made before they had expertise that got them there.

I started with a simple 512m lot back in 2009. I've got about an 1/8th of a sim now - split across a few locations. But I did that slowly - learning the difference between what I thought I would like and what I actually like in the context of SL over the years.

I agree with this. I started small as well although I have only had an account for 2 years. I initially had a tiny 512 Linden House then progressed to a 1024 plot on mainland. About a year ago I went for 1536 m. Initially on a road side plot and currently on the water. I right now have an active ticket to try and get the 2048 abandoned land adjoining mine released for purchase. I initially bought the 512 from a private seller then LL agreed to sell me the 1024 abandoned  land next to it.

One common mistake I see people make is that they think if they don't have a big plot with lots of prims then they won't be able to decorate nicely.  I thought that at first myself as I met people with 150 prim kitchens and big houses that were 300 land impact.   But you don't need it.  I have a beautiful house right now that is 53 land impact. I have a smaller house that will fit on a 256 m plot in inventory that is 21 land impact that I used when I had just 512. There is also a lot of low land impact furniture and decor out there as well. 

Yeah some of the nicest houses I have seen have come in under 25LI. Some under 10.

- And not all of those were bad on LOD either.

You really want to shop around when getting the house to put on your land in SL, because there's almost always somebody who did the design you want better than the last place you looked at.

Oh on that ticket to buy the abandoned land next to you - make sure it says YOU want to BUY that land. Half of the time I file tickets like that they put it up for auction instead. So I get very careful about my wording in those tickets. Doesn't always work... but you want to be absolutely sure it is their fault if they screw you over like that.

I know you need to own land right next to it. And you need to be sure that the land is owned by the account that filed the ticket. When I've had it as group land, they've acted like I didn't own any land near there...

When I've used an alt that donated all the tier to a tenant's land... and the group was in my tenant's name... they've acted like I didn't own any land there.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.