Land size, houses and what to do?

Fynness

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm  relatively new , I went premium, found a parcel on the mainland bought it just so I could have a home. So now I have a lot, and a few things so I feel comfortable.

Now, since learning a few things about building and realizing this lot is not going to allow for much I know I need to either:

1. Purchase more land in the area... (I don't really care for the area, it was cheap and easy to get to for me)

2. Rent from or possibly purchase a larger parcel from a private area or island

3. Sell the place I have, and then purchase a parcel from a private island

I do not understand the land terms nor the size when looking for land. Yes.. I have read through all the land management pages and know the difference between mainland and private sectors or islands but the dimensions.. right now I have 1024. I realize it isn't much, I am just starting.  I found a wonderful home but it will fills a 60x60m area.. What kind of land do I need to purchase for this? Is it something I can afford? is it a mainland thing or needs to be on a private area?

I wish someone would produce a paper or ad telling newbies about how land really works and what sizes are needed for different things. :womanfrustrated:

I have a feeling, that having bought this house to live in was a big mistake as I'll never be able to afford a 60x60 size area...

Thank you Josef,

In purchasing the 2048 (simply doubling the current size) What does this entail?  What area do I need to use this? How large is a 2048 area?  The house I bought fits a 60x60m area.. I have no idea what this size is... where would it fit? Sorry for questions but even after talking to support, I'm still in the dark about the size or parcels or land and what one can do on them..

Hello Fyness and Jadeclaw,

Actually having written that ... real life dimensions are often unworkable in-world.

Just one example - the cubiculum project was real life sized to start with but I had to play around with the dimensions in-world to make it workable. Easy to forget that many avatars are 7' tall !

Here is a pic to illustrate  :

Snapshot_006.jpg

You dont actually need a premium account to have a home..but LL dont really advertise that fact at all. You can rent a home furnished or unfurnished from some really great themed estates very cheaply...cuts out the mainland saga of where to buy etc...you can also rent land. Also cuts out finding yourself surrounded by fugly builds, clubs , malls etc.

Private estates normally will have a management team to help you...you wont have to submit a supoprt ticket and wait for replies, its generally dealt with asap.

There's one more radical option:

Shrink.

Many new user avatars are over 7 feet tall.

If you scale yourself down to between 5 and 6 feet, and then resize your house - you will discover that a 512m lot is bigger than many RL houses...

http://pennycow.blogspot.com/2011/07/matter-of-scale.html

And if your house is mesh, shrinking it can reduce its prim cost:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/category/second-life/reducing-prim-costs/

- But note that if not mesh, you can reduce its cost by selectively changing the 'object type' under the features tab of portions of the building (same link as above, second article).

Also, remember not all lots will be perfectly square

It becomes very relavent when talkin about house or land purchasing either one.

Two houses- the ad for both says "fits on a min 2048"  And they do. BUT one house is perfectly square- 45m x 45 meters which only is 2025 and the others measurements 32 x 64- long and oblong and exactly 2048. The TOTAL size of the second lot is larger than the first and yet the house from the first would not fit there!. Be sure the shape of your house and the measurements in each direction whenever you can.

Yep, I often carry a platform with me of the size of my land, when shopping for buildings. Or of my buildings, when shopping for land.

If I can't rez it - attach it to avatar and sit down in the middle of the area, then move it around to see if everything fits the way I need.

- Best done with a platform on which you have a texture grid, so you can get the numbers of what you're looking at.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.