Land Petition for Cheaper Land - need signatures

Heavenly Villa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

you paying for hardware?  bandwidth?  employee's?   server space?   you do realize most of the money they make that does get turned around and put back into SL right?   at these prices they have now, they make a little money and are able to pay for things.   but people think "oh they can just drop prices"  yeah,  let's do that.  give it a month and SL will be shutdown.  

• 2 weeks later...

I will sign it but its not worth it posting it here. People will argue with you constantly over this, but the fact remains a full sim should not cost $330 for an outdated game. The players shouldnt be responsible for paying for SL's hardware, employee wages, etc. We are responsible for paying a reasonable price for land in a virtual world aka video game, and no video game EVER has charged this amount. The excuse that this game is different than others worked back in the day, except the price just keeps going up no matter how outdated the game keeps getting.

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

... the price just keeps going up no matter how outdated the game keeps getting.

Not true, there has only been a price increase for private islands once in the eight + years I've been in SL and that occured years ago.  If you are renting a parcel from another resident, the price may go up or down, but that's not due to what LL charges.  It has more to do with supply and demand.

• 4 weeks later...

The cost of hosting servers declined.
 Server power has also increased and their ability.

See the hosting provider price :smileywink:

Linden should propose to the oldest resident and faithful more ground. For example 1024sqm have included instead of the current 512sqm.

I see many mainland abandoned in secondlife.

• 1 year later...

Don't bother. Total waste of time.

If LL could lower land fees on SL, they would. Maybe they will, still, slightly, but they just reduced the setup charges for private islands, so Ebbe said they'll let the effects of that settle for a while before assessing what they can do next.

Longer term, of course, Project Sansar will rely less on revenue from "land" (whatever that even means in Sansar), in favor of substantially higher charges for transactions (such as Marketplace fees). That's smart for several reasons -- probably more than any, though, it deters folks from thinking hosting costs should have something to do with "land" fees, when in fact they're almost completely unrelated because hosting cost is only a fraction of LL's balance sheet.

(The other advantage is it puts the rents where most of the industry has them now: nobody even notices anymore when Apple, Google, etc. charge 30% on digital content purchased through their online stores.)

Hi Qie, 

I would be all for SL shifting more of the costs of the game to Marketplace or something like this.  It would help to weed out those just in the game to make money and those who genuinely want to play.  I came into this game in 2006 and loved the creative aspect, building, decorating, socialzing, etc.  I paid land fees for years while I didn't have time to play hoping some day I would have time again.  Now I have time, but not the money for the expensive land fees anymore.  

I have recently rejoined the game and find myself spending most of my time in game marketing just trying to make my business profitable enough that I can afford my land fees so that I can actually play!!

It seems that since they charge so much for land fees they should at least give land owners a break on markplace ads etc.  It would encourage more inworld stores which encourages more interaction, and creativity.   I have been seeing a shift of merchants giving up their land and focusing more on the marketplace.  Providing marketing and advertising breaks to land owners would also provide more incentive to own land.

Agreed on all points. As you say, many merchants have given up their in-world presence altogether and switched to Marketplace-only sales. Personally, I hate that, but it's a reasonable approach.

I've long argued that the Marketplace and in-world shopping experiences should be completely unified: that the way a Marketplace listing comes into existence is from an in-world store presentation.

It will be interesting to see how Project Sansar deals with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.