Honored Resident
KeliahAngelis

Lag lag lag..how to stop it?

Everytime I try to walk through an area with tons of prim grass, trees with falling leaves, light beams, and all that pretty stuff I can barely move. The lag is so terrible. What can I do?

"Worlds self made are so full of monsters and demons."

Photographer
Roleplayer
Recognized Helper
Marigold Devin

Re: Lag lag lag..how to stop it?

Reply to KeliahAngelis - view message

Check your graphics settings aren't too high, ensure your graphics drivers are up-to-date, remove unnecessary scripts from yourself (ie in hair or boots/shoes or HUDs).

More suggestions will follow.

Learning something new every day.
Rolig Loon

Don't blame it on the prim grass or the falling leaves.  They aren't going to do much, if anything, to create lag.  There's something else going on.  You might get a clue by looking at the Statistics Bar ( Shift + CTRL + 1 ).

Not as dumb as I look
arton Rotaru

[ Edited ]

Well, tons of sculpts, prims, particles, lightbeams are all good to slow your fps down, if there are enough of them in view.

The problem is, most of second life is built with tools (prims, sculpts) that are way to poly heavy. Depending on what you see, you might look at millions of polygons at once. Untill most of second life will be build out of reasonbly built mesh objects, there is not much you can do besides buying a better graphics card, or reducing your graphics settings untill you get more fps. But than, probably things aren't look so pretty anymore.

Innula Zenovka

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lag  gives a brief run-down.     The problem is that people use "lag" to mean so many different things, so it's difficult to make general recommendations.

However, it sounds as if you're having problems with your graphics card finding it difficult to render the scene fast enough.   Try the suggestions in that article in the "graphics" section -- if they make a difference, then we know what the problem area is.

If it is a graphics problem, what sort of graphics card do you have, what viewer are you using and what graphics settings are you using (low, medium, high or ultra)?

Honored Resident
KeliahAngelis

I have my settings either to low or medium - depending on where I am. I keep my scripts under 100, and in most cases I keep them under 50. I do wear a scripted collar at all times, so I will not take it off - but as I am keeping myself down as low as possible script wise, I am good. 

I have a brand new computer, but my graphics card is AMD Radeon™ HD 6450, which is not for gaming but for 'every day computing'. Seeing how new it is, I thought that it would be an improvement from my old computer, but I'm guessing not! :smileysad:

So...graphics card recommendations?

Photographer
Roleplayer
Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 66

Reply to Rolig Loon - view message

Rolig Loon wrote:

Don't blame it on the prim grass or the falling leaves.  They aren't going to do much, if anything, to create lag.  There's something else going on.  You might get a clue by looking at the Statistics Bar ( Shift + CTRL + 1 ).

I have seen grass with resizer scripts in it before...

But yes, 9 times out of 10, lag is caused by avatars - self or others. Most of the remaining cases are vendors or sexbeds.

Proportionate Shapes for Standard Sizes - best of both worlds. | Zion Kitty (store) inworld
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination.
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 66

KeliahAngelis wrote:

I have my settings either to low or medium - depending on where I am. I keep my scripts under 100, and in most cases I keep them under 50. I do wear a scripted collar at all times, so I will not take it off - but as I am keeping myself down as low as possible script wise, I am good. 

100 scripts, or 100kb of usage?

Very big difference.

Look at 'script usage' button in About Land, then the tab for self.

Heavy kb's of usage will hurt the server you're in, regardless of the capacity of your local machine.

- Note also that if the region has script problems of its own, the same applies. But its usually avatars. And someone else with bad scripts in the same region as you will cause a problem, no matter how good your machine or their machine is...

Proportionate Shapes for Standard Sizes - best of both worlds. | Zion Kitty (store) inworld
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination.
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Rolig Loon

[ Edited ]

Reply to Pussycat Catnap - view message

What do you wear that needs 100 scripts? I normally wear about 10 scripts, for a total memory load of less than 400Kb, and I could do without some of that, if I'm being honest about what I "need."  Viewers have good radars, flight assists, and AO's built in to them these days (better than the separate ones, and certainly less laggy), so you don't need half of the HUDs we used to.  Hair now has one resizer/recolor script instead of one per prim, and you can even get rid of that one (after all, how many times do you need to resize your hair?).  Same thing with bling in jewelry -- one script per necklace, not one per bead. I have a hard time coming up with ways to hang 100 scripts on my body, and I really have a hard time thinking of 100 that I "need."

Not as dumb as I look
Honored Resident
KeliahAngelis

Reply to Rolig Loon - view message

Oh, that's the sim limit on avatars for the sim I RP in. I never wear that much either. The only thing I ever wear that's scripted is the collar and I always hover between 30-50 scripts because of my Open Collar scripted collar. I don't wear huds save for my AO unless as needed, like if my character is doing something in RP. I delete resizer scripts after usage. I don't wear bling - its awful. I don't use sound scripts or wear things like walker sounds or anything. I try to keep myself as minimal as possible because of the scripted collar.

I don't have issues on sims until I run into places that are heavily sculpted, done all out with light beam pims, or have lots of detail. There might not even be any other avatars around, or there might be tons around. It has to be my graphics card.

I did pull up my statistics bar the other day and when I went into one of those areas with the grass all over, prim fog,  and the glowly lights my FPS dropped down to like 1.2 from 20. This was on low graphics with minimal draw distance. 

Photographer
Roleplayer