Is This Something An Abuse Report Can Help?

Oddprofessor Snoodle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A neighbor of mine has set up a snowflake generator that is blitzing my nearby parcels with huge snowflakes. They're actually kind of pretty, but they're eating up my particle allowance, and they're distracting. (I teach on my parcel and my students are distractible enough, thanks!)

I filed an abuse report, and I got an acknowledgement, but of course they never tell you if they decided to just drop it, or if they took steps but the miscreant just so far has refused to cooperate. I have no idea if I should just be patient, or if I should just file another report daily  until the problem stops.

What would you do?

Oddprofessor Snoodle wrote:

A neighbor of mine has set up a snowflake generator that is blitzing my nearby parcels with huge snowflakes. They're actually kind of pretty, but they're eating up my particle allowance, and they're distracting. (I teach on my parcel and my students are distractible enough, thanks!)

I filed an abuse report, and I got an acknowledgement, but of course they never tell you if they decided to just drop it, or if they took steps but the miscreant just so far has refused to cooperate. I have no idea if I should just be patient, or if I should just file another report daily  until the problem stops.

What would you do?

I'd ask my Mommy to increase my allowance.

Up to somewhere in 2010 the results of ARs had been published somewhere,
Gridsurvey used to list them, but stopped in 2010.
The only way to know, if an AR was successful, is, when the offending device has been deleted.
If this snowflake problem persists, you can do two things:
1.: Set particles in the viewers  graphics settings to 0 / min.
2.: Repeat the AR after a few days. Your students can file ARs on their own.

@Perrie: ROTFL!

My apologies Dear Professor.

We've been inundated with spoof threads the past few days and I thought yours was another.  There has been someone who has been, I'll use the word "ranting," about this kind of thing for several weeks now in this Forum.  I jumped to the conclusion that you were spoofing him.

As Jadeclaw pointed out, the Lab does not inform us of their decisions.  All we can go by is what we see.  Having your students AR this may be your best recourse.  It would be nice if particles didnt 'drift' outside the generators parcel, but that is what they do.

An, thanks Perrie for explaining. No, no spoof here. Just zillions of large snowflakes.

I wonder why particles can't be kept out the way other peoples' objects can. Well, no use speculating. I guess I'll just keep up the abuse reports!

Thanks for the responses, all!

The functions that make particles work are actually designed to imitate the laws of physics and gravity.  I've made a few of my own particle generators.  I have to apply density, force, speed, color, brightness, size, time to live(die), spread angle etc to particles.  You can with work get pretty realistic.  Fire works are a good example of this in SL.  So really what you are looking at is a visual special effect.

My guess would be that setting limitations would cripple too many of the effects and might be a lot more complicated than stopping a prim from being placed on your parcel.

This was the problem with rain in SL.  Rain is a particle.  There is apparently no way (yet) to tell the rain when it hit an object, i.e, to stop when it hit a roof.  To create that effect I would have to calculate how long the particle lived (how long till it died) after being emitted by my cloud so it gave the appearance of stopping at the roof. 

If you ever have time to, I'd recommend a trip to the Particle Laboratory.  You can find it in search.  The basics are really very simple and it is good learning on how things work in SL.

I've been to the Particle Laboratory many times; I love it. Jopsy has helped a lot of us out by being so generous with his/her work.

The emitter is gone this morning (yay!). I suspect that the owner could have had what he wanted if he'd given his particles less velocity and a shorter lifetime, and placed his emitter farther away from the edge of his very large parcel. Like I said, it was actually kind of pretty, but not useful on my plot.

Thanks for the comments, all.

I've been to the Particle Laboratory many times; I love it. Jopsy has helped a lot of us out by being so generous with his/her work.

The emitter is gone this morning (yay!). I suspect that the owner could have had what he wanted if he'd given his particles less velocity and a shorter lifetime, and placed his emitter farther away from the edge of his very large parcel. Like I said, it was actually kind of pretty, but not useful on my plot.

Thanks for the comments, all.

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

--||-

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.