Staralien

Investing In SL

I am wondering if it is worth investing my money in SL. SL economy has improved slightly, but will it continue to improve over time? Can a new business and land owner become successful? Judging by some of the posts I have read, grievers can ruin land, business, etc, and how do you avoid that happening to you? The only option for me at this time is to buy on the mainland as I can't afford a whole region of my own. How would one go about finding land that doesn't have a lot of lag, as lag would make it difficult to conduct business? I realize you can rent land off the mainland, but I would rather invest my money into land I actually own and pay teir rather than paying someone else's teir for land I will never own. I would really appreciate some advice on investing in SL, hearing about the experience of others and even some answers to questions I am not thinking of asking that you think would be something I should know as well. I have been doing a lot of research, but the more I read, the more confused and doubtful I become. I want to make the right choices and decided to appeal to the vast knowledge of experience here. Thanks in advance to all replies...I really appreciate it!

Star

Elric Anatine
Topics: 29

Re: Investing In SL

Reply to Staralien - view message

I'm sure others will chime in far more eloquently than I, but SL is not a safe investment.  You'd be better off playing the markets in RL or working a regular job.  However, SL is very enjoyable as a hobby or interface.

Finding low lag regions on mainland is near impossible as your neighbours change all the time.  You never know who you will share a sim with.

Consider buying a homestead sim for your enjoyment and business.  However, again, I caution that any money put into SL to purchase land (be it homestead, full sim, mainlaind) will unlikely be recouped.  All you need do is keep a watchful eye on sims for sale and bargains are always there to be had by those dumping land.

So I would suggest just enjoying SL for what it is.

My two cents!  Cheers.

Peggy Paperdoll

Here's my take on threads that ask this question (there seem to be one every month or so).  If you know so little about investing that you need to ask random strangers (who you have no way of checking their credentials) about investing in something (anything at all), then you need to lock up your wallet, go to a brick and mortar book store and buy an investment book by a recognized expert in the field.  Read, it before you even start with Google searches..........or do yourself one small favor and spend some of that money that is burning a hole in your pocket and enroll in an institute of higher education and major (or at least minor) in business financial investment.

As it is right now, you're doomed to losing your a$$ with any investment in SL (or anything else in life).  You obviously don't know what you're doing.

Knutz Scorpio

[ Edited ]

Reply to Peggy Paperdoll - view message

I have had mainland overlooking beachs and currently some road side mainland, none have I paid more then 1 L$/sq.m  and the most I have managed to sell off land for was 0.8 L$/sq.m, most I had to come down to 0.5 L$/sq.m and a threat to abandon it to get lookers to buy.  I'm obviously not much of a land investor. Near month's end the map seems to erupt with new yellow squares, mostly parcels just abandoned and put back on sell by Gov Linden for 1 L$/sq.m, probably abandoned by people just wanting to get their tier down before the next month.  I've seen several parcels for sell for more then 1 L$/sq.m, and I've seen very few actually sell and can't help wondering how much the seller is losing in tier payments.

In short, the only land I own is for my own enjoyment, and I do NOT see land in SL as a good place for investment.

ETA: This was suspose to be in response to the OP, guess I hit the wrong Reply button

Peggy Paperdoll

Reply to Knutz Scorpio - view message

I figured that out since you more or less reinforced what I said.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Elric Anatine

Reply to Peggy Paperdoll - view message

Well said, Miss Paperdoll, well said. 

Staralien

Thank you Kuntz for an intelligent, informative response. This pretty much confirms what I have been seeing. It is really too bad since they reported the greatest growth rate in a long time was in August, of which I was one of them. Perhaps that is exactly what is needed in SL...new people...fresh ideas, etc. I know for myself I am coming across new people all the time. I can even be of help to them now. haha The economy is pretty bad all over in RL, so that has a lot to do with the decline in SL. People need to put food on the table before paying tier fees every month. Hopefully as the economy in RL recovers, so too will SL. We shall see.

As for the person questioning my intelligence...I asked a question here hoping that people who actually own land now or at some point in the past could give me some advice based on their experience and I don't see the reason for them to have any credentials for that. Telling me to go to college or read a book was so very helpful.  I probably have a higher degree and more class hours logged. I easily read 200-300 books a year on a variety of subjects as I am interested in everything. But I really don't have to prove any thing to you. So sorry you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and felt the need to be insulting, rather than informative. I do want to thank you for your response though for it did serve to remind me that there are many different people in the world and they don't always play nice.

Wyland
Topics: 10
Ideas: 0

Well said Staralien. Very eloquent :smileyhappy:

Koltari
Topics: 7

I'm rather new to SL. And I've bought land.  Quite a fair bit too, well to me anyway, due to the dollar being weak compared to my countries currency so buying now seemed a good idea. I'm not expecting to make money though. I'll be happy if I get some of my tier financed. But I view this as a hobby, and in that respect seeing how much fun I'm having with landscaping and understanding the makings behind land ownership, it's well worth the money to me. As for mainland the land I've bought hasn't got much lag at all. And for ugly builds. My neighbors seem to be influenced by nice landscaping and I've seen efforts to tone down the worst eyesores out of curtesy, and I applaud them for that :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: And I have to say making mainland look pretty is a challenge I like to take on.

But offcourse both lag and eyesores can pop-up anytime but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Elric Anatine

While I do not typically "defend" others in venues such as this, I did agree with the broad statement Miss Paperdoll made that those seriously wishing to invest in anything (especially SL) are best armed with knowledge on the subject in order to conduct appropriate research to determine ROI (inviting responses in a forum will provide only skewed results).  Due to SL's wildly fluctuating nature, even speculators have withdrawn serious commitment of their energies.

Having said all of that, the media and old articles still circulating would lead one to believe that there was money to be made in SL.  Hence the regular posts such as yours, Staralien, and perhaps the somewhat jaded responses such posts engender.  Please understand that such responses are not solely borne in frustration but for myself, at least, a desire to NOT see others delude themselves and to actually ENJOY SL.  SL is a beautiful place we all wish to share the joys of.

However, in a more specific answer to your original query:

I am wondering if it is worth investing my money in SL. SL economy has improved slightly, but will it continue to improve over time?  Yes and then it will decline again.  SL economy fluctuates very rapidly.  I've been here since early 2007, the tail end of the big boom, and then watched a slow decline with smaller upswings and then downswings.  Where it goes from here, truly, only time will tell but such speculation should not be seen as a basis for investment.

Can a new business and land owner become successful?  That depends on your definition of success.  Providing specifics, desired ROI, current skill sets etc. will invite more specific answers.  However, in general, any business venture in SL requires diligent commitment, effort, skill and time if some profits are desired.  There is far more land available than people to live on them.  The concierge chat is replete with estate owners dumping their sims because they simply cannot afford to maintain them.  Yes, there are those who are "successful" but they bought when sim prices were "sane" and have grandfathered rates.  They also work very hard.

Judging by some of the posts I have read, grievers can ruin land, business, etc, and how do you avoid that happening to you?  Griefers can be a problem, but reporting, having admin staff on hand at all times to contend with griefers etc. handles most such situations.  An ounce of prevention and all that -- in other words, do not invite griefing inadvertently by maintaining contentious environments, attitudes etc.

The only option for me at this time is to buy on the mainland as I can't afford a whole region of my own. How would one go about finding land that doesn't have a lot of lag, as lag would make it difficult to conduct business?  See my first response.

On a final note, I hope you find some time to simply enjoy SL, get to know others and the "lay of the land" so to speak.  After a time you will have accumulated the information necessary to ask these questions again and have a better understanding.

Also, if you are serious about getting into the land game, be a renter for a while to learn that side and what people desire from a landlord.

Good luck.  Cheers.