Honored Resident
nicolette18

I'm a new and have xcite!

I bought a starter pack and I am having trouble getting my new parts to look right. Is there any tutorials or videos? I have to say the learning curb for SL is very steep
Advisor
Echo Hermit

Re: I'm a new and have xcite!

Reply to nicolette18 - view message

Greetings, nicolette18

Yes, the learning curve for Second Life is very steep.  I have been a resident for almost five years and have not got around to learning how to use Xcite equipment, so unfortunately I am unable to help first hand. However, there should be instructions in your starter pack, or if you go to youtube you might find some interesting videos on this product there.

And unofficially, I just want to award this the thread of the day, because I am sure you will get some very interesting answers (and maybe some kind soul will even be able to give you one on one tuition in world :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: )

Please return to any threads you start, reply to any questions that are asked of you, and let us know when you are fixed. It will help others.
_____
aka Marigold Devin
A change is as good as a rest.
Honored Resident
nicolette18

Thanks Echo for your reply. I Have everything set up but it just looks very weird. I am not very happy with it at all. Extremely confusing and I wish I could return it and get my $L back. I can't seem to get the "things" aligned properly.
Charolotte Caxton

I finally decided to get one out of curiosity, I am not pleased with it eigther. It just feels weird and is impossible to get to look right. I too wish I could get a refund, but that's SL, you buy and learn.
Honored Resident
nicolette18

Reply to Charolotte Caxton - view message

What is prim? In my inventory I had 2 body parts and one was the same thing but it had the word prim with it.
Charolotte Caxton

A prim is the basic building block of SL.

In your inventory you have two versions, one is the 20 prim one and one is the full version, which I think is like up to 80 prims or something.

Basically, it is to appease those persons that are retentive about how many prims they are wearing.
Honored Resident
nicolette18

Reply to Charolotte Caxton - view message

What happens if you wear to much prim? I am still very confused about prim.
Charolotte Caxton

[ Edited ]

Depending on your computer and your viewer, if your system needs to render more prins it can make a difference. However, if you aren't living in the 90s, you should be ok regardless.

A prim is a primitive object. I can make a table 5 prims, one for the top and each leg, or I can be super cool and make the whole table only one prim. The one prim table takes less resource power from you computer, if done correctly, and let's you have more stuff.
SinfulPrince

[ Edited ]

Oddly I love it when I hear someone ask things like "what is prim". -It reminds me how great it felt to be new.

The word "prim" refers to the basic block that all of SL was initially built around. If you have ever seen someone create a wooden block and then stretch or move it in some way that block is what a prim is. Before the use of mesh , most stuff was described as the fastening together and shaping of any number of prims to make an object. Ex: a square block with a triangular block sitting on top of it could be called a rudimentary representation of a house. Its composition of two blocks would be termed two prims. Prims can be sheared , tapered, hollowed, twisted and sculpted to the point of looking like almost anything; a scrunched down sock or a table leg.

I hope that makes sense?

In the last update from xcite I got, two versions of the male equiptment. One lists the number of prims. I presume that one is  the lower prim count of the two. (I never checked that presumption.) Often items with higher prim counts appear to the eye as "more detailed". HOWEVER To be able to provide an acceptable product that has a lowered prim count might be a goal for the manufacturer as some people try to wear lower numbers of prims attached to themselves and lower numbers of scripts depending on whether or not they are trying to reduce lag for themselves or to fulfill limitations expressed on sims they frequent.

The very best person to assist you with fit and how to use of course will be  a woman. I'd either hang around here and maybe one will volunteer to help ya in world OR you could try joining the xcite group and put out a call to one?

Xcite does have an entire website that is great for setting up preferences , but I've never gotten a great read for "how to use" off there for the guy's junk. Dunno if its different for the women's.

This is not your real life . Get over it. Loosen up
Lindal Kidd

Xcite and all similar items do two things:

1.  They provide you with visible genitalia.  I don't think the Xcite parts, either male or female, are the best out there.  In fact, when I got my Xcite p*ssy, I got the "Secret", which is completely invisible except for some pubic hair that you can color, and an (optional) piece of jewelry.  Even so, adjusting it took quite a lot of tweaking, and advice from my partner.

2.  They provide you and your partner with an additional way of communicating your actions and your state of arousal.  You can edit the things that they say in chat to customize this a bit...but the best thing about them, IMO, is the arousal meter.  You can adjust your own level of arousal, and your partner can see that on his/her own meter.

You can do pixel sex without ANY props or add-ons, using only the animations in your bed (or other furniture) and chat emotes...and many people do just that.  (Well, the boys need a prim attachment, but it doesn't need to be a chatty one.  Dark Delights sells a perfectly serviceable one, among many others.)

So, why do I use Xcite?  Partly because my partners use it, and it's helpful to have equipment that works with theirs.  Partly because it's highly customizable.  Mostly, I find it useful because of the arousal meters.

Yes, there ARE great Mainland rentals...in Masocado, baby!
Read my blog! Across the Grid With Lindal Kidd