Does it make sense for me to rent?

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm struggling with a decision here, and could do with some experienced input.

In a couple of months, my premium membership is up. I currently run three memberships, and with the group bonus that means I get 1680 square metres of land (which I have) without paying extra tier.

I want more (who doesn't). It doesn't have to be huge, and money is of course an issue.

If I stick to buying mainland, keep my three premium accounts, and pay some exta tier, I could have about 900 prims or 1416 prims total (with 2048 or 4096 additional sq.m. tier).

The total cost of those would be £264 and £344 per year; if I were to take out the stipend (and not spend it...) that equates to £147and £227. That's a cost per prim of about £0.16 per year. 

Now, I've just looked at some rental prices. About L$1400 per week for 4096sq.m. and 937 prims. I also want to keep one premium account; I like being able to use the sandboxes for building.

So, that works out at about £230 per year. £191 if I withdraw the single stipend, with cost per prim £0.20 per year.

If I don't withdraw the stipend from either, the cost per prim is similar at around £0.25 give or take a fraction. But, I get more stipend to spend with the buying scenario, which realistically, with more land to fill, I will spend.

So - I'm really looking for advice here... am I getting this about right? It looks to me like buying is the better option, even if I spend the stipend. But so many people seem to rent... there must be a good reason...

:confused:

I think in terms U.S.D. because the math is easier for me and I'm not up to converting to £'s.

But you are probably going to save by owning in your scenario.

Here's the deal.  As your land holdings go up your cost your cost per sqm goes down.  A Land Owner who for instance owns a full region passes this saving on to you when you rent a small parcel.  They base their rental rates on their lower sqm cost.

But there is a cross over point.  Once you own more than a 2048 your cost per sqm drops under the average rental rates.

Yeah, thanks, it is looking better to buy.

I've just redone my spreadsheet with more accurate currency conversions and it makes the difference even more in favour of buying.

Actually, buying another three premium memberships to double my land allowance would only cost me £24 more a year than I'm paying now, if I withdrew all the stipend from those three. That's not bad... about $3 per month for 1680sq.m (384 prims). That's much better value than paying tier.

I could live for another year on double the prims I have now...

(Of course, I need the discipline to actually save up and withdraw the stipend)

One reason people prefer to rent is they don't have to deal with the complexities of land buying and tier.

Private sims tend to keep some sort of control over the neighbours builds too, unlike on mainland where your neighbour changes and they can put up pretty much anything and you will be telling your visitors to derender them, and cursing the banlines or retreating to a skybox.

The nicest areas of mainland you can pretty much only get by renting, unless you are prepared to spend 60,000-200,000l$ just buying it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.